Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fellas,
I’ve been using this guide for 45 years. It’s pretty good.

https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/downloads/jm214s65d?locale=en

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, that is an excellent image of the name of the cuts and guidelines!

Outdoor Edge has produced a series of butchering your animals at home, including How to Make Sausage and The Best Jerky. I bought the entire set of DVDs it is a great investment and makes for an excellent Christmas Gift for anyone who is starting their Hunting career.

I have been doing all of my own butchering for over 30 years, and have saved THOUSANDS of $$$$ by doing it myself, and never worrying if I am getting my animal back!

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/06/23.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good little write-up. Thanks.

I started doing a lot of my own about 20 years ago and have pretty much stuck to the three cuts in the hindquarters, tenderloins, backstraps, and everything else goes in the grinder. If we had 200lb+ deer, I might look into other cuts with the neck and shoulders, but we do eat a lot of ground meat each year, so the current method works.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been putting up 10 to 15 deer a year here for forever and a day. Simply cannot justify the cost of processing a single deer to get a little box of meat back, maybe two. I've instead invested that money in the equipment over time to make my own methods more efficient. Besides, we process a hog or two a year, and I just finished up a 900 lb rogue fence busting angus heifer my buddy put down last week. Cutting our own meat is as natural as growing a garden, just part of life for us. We make our own smoked sausage and stuff too. All good eatin', and we know exactly where it comes from.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, was taught, by my mentor, that it was part of the hunting process.

Never had any deer or moose commercially butchered.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If with an excess of meat, we have had good commercial sausage (smokies) & salami made, but not during the traditional wild game butchering window.

Frozen chunks, sent off mid summer, so as not to get mixed with others, questionable meat.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been doing my own for over 30 years. Like Jpro I put the 3 good cuts in each hindquarter and the loin into roasts and decide when thawing whether to make steaks or roast. 1 hp grinder makes quick work of the burger.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been butchering my deer ever since I started hunting, usually with the assistance of a hunting buddy. I make steaks and chops, some parts get ground into deerburger with the addition of ground pork butt. I make lots of venison jerky, not a fan of roasts.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Usually do my own. If not, I have my buddy, who’s a butcher help me.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Been putting up 10 to 15 deer a year here for forever and a day. Simply cannot justify the cost of processing a single deer to get a little box of meat back, maybe two. I've instead invested that money in the equipment over time to make my own methods more efficient. Besides, we process a hog or two a year, and I just finished up a 900 lb rogue fence busting angus heifer my buddy put down last week. Cutting our own meat is as natural as growing a garden, just part of life for us. We make our own smoked sausage and stuff too. All good eatin', and we know exactly where it comes from.

Nice job!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pharm, excellent guide. Thanks for posting!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I butcher my own, but I pay for the burger to get processed.

It’s less than a buck a pound! I think it’s about .80 Hard froze, wrapped, mixed with pork that I buy separately.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Been doing my own for probably 30 or 40 years. I paid for 1 and it was bad. Learned to do my own after that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it best to do it yourself? Sure..

Is it the most convenient? Maybe not.

I put up a deer or two each year myself. Mostly steaks and jerky meat.

The rest Ill take to a local processor.

They do a good job. Well known in the area. Relatively quick for the volume they do each season.

They make great smoked ( link) sausage.

Vacuum pack it all.

But itll get in your back pocket….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
for 50 some years or more i just did skinning outside and brought the quarters and loins to the kitchen , cut meat up and or ground burger too then packaged and froze all the meat. i used to make sausage but i feel if you find a good butcher shop they make my deer sausages easier than i want too .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My Grandma told me when she was growing up on a farm, that the whole family helped butcher deer, cows, pigs, etc. Even the little kids helped out, this was almost a hundred years ago of course. I couldnt imagine your present youth helping to butcher an animal without being traumatized

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
We have always butchered our own. I’m the first generation that wasn’t raised on a farm and that is just how it was done.

When I met my best friend he, and everyone he knew, had their game processed. He did not even know how to skin and quarter. Quickly converted him when, during warm weather, I broke 2 deer down to put in coolers. He now has several of the people he used to hunt with doing their own.

Butchering with family, and friends, is part of the social aspect of hunting. It can be a chore sometimes, but, can also be fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The guys I hunt with all butcher at home. One year however I shot an old lead cow. Her meat was tough. I ground all the meat I got from her. The hamburger was tough. I gave in and took that hamburger in to have the locker make it into different kinds of sausage etc.
I had the spices to do it myself but my grinder didn’t grind it fine enough.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my second year if college (1965) I shot my first elk. My 3 roommated and another friend also shot their elk that year. We butchered all of those elk, including double grinding all of the burger meat in a small hand grinder at home. I have been butchering all of the game animals that I've shot here at home myself ever since. Last week I butchered the meat from the 3/4 of the Canadian moose that I brought home.

I'm very picky about my game meat and I cut off anything white from all of the meat, including the meat that I grind into burger, which I add 10% beef fat.

I also pressure cook and coarse grind all of the trimmings to later add to my dog's food.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting. Always like reading new material, and willing to learn something new.

Have been butchering wild game for as long as I can remember. Dad was too cheap to pay for it and that continued with me and my boys.

Now is is not so much a money as a quality issue. Appreciate knowing that I am eating what I shot and took care of from field to table.

Processing this antelope today and elk was last month.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have fun, fellas. I try to get mine to the locker with as little effort on my part as possible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,737
Posts18,514,408
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.