Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Diesel fuel does a decent job too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As others have said, a mixture of 50% ATF & 50% Acetone seems to as well as anything and better than most.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kroil

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of Kroil but I also would not refute Project Farm results.

I don't know if there are different formulations of Kroil or not, I've used the stuff in the tin can with plastic spout myself and used it to remove a couple seized spark plugs. It took a while to do the job but it worked.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back about 15 years ago I purchased a 100+ year old ML target rifle, of about 7mm caliber as I recall. It shot poorly and I decided to pull the breech plug so it could be slugged to ascertain bore dims. Breech plug said KMA. Put about 3” of Kroil in a jar, set the barrel in and let it soak overnight. Next day it unscrewed with finger pressure.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
At my employer they decided to do a test of available penetrating oils, they bought a can of each and gave them to the guys in the shop for evaluation. Kroil came out as the most effective followed by Nut-Z-Lube and PB Blaster. I've always used Kroil.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For some reason, Kano Laboratories has stopped selling KROIL direct from their website. Now it says "contact a dealer". I used to buy it in bulk- - - -a gallon at a time cost about $100.00. The aerosol cans are outrageously expensive.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Sea Foam Deep Creep

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
nobody can beat project farm testing and he showed kroil PB and other top brands useless. good old liquid wrench was one of the best. watch the video. I made a batch of the ATF and acetone worked real good but when you store it then want to use it refresh the acetone

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrmeener
nobody can beat project farm testing and he showed kroil PB and other top brands useless. good old liquid wrench was one of the best. watch the video. I made a batch of the ATF and acetone worked real good but when you store it then want to use it refresh the acetone

Yes. I use PB Blaster for all but the hard jobs. However, I keep ATF and acetone handy as separate components and then mix them up as needed for the hard stuff. I also use them to mix small batches of Ed's Red-- ATF, Acetone, Kerosene, and Mineral Spirits in equal parts. Ed's Red has become my go-to for gun cleaning. I leave out the Acetone unless I'm dealing with shotgun fouling.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well, there are tests, and there are tests..

Just this summer I had to change out blades on my rotary cutter. They are held in place by steel bolts with nuts on the underside of the cutter, where they are exposed to the rust and corrosion of plant liquids, as well as the constant hammering of sand and rocks. It'd been 3 years since done, and in humidity and and heat to boot.

First attempt at removing a nut resulted in a twisted off bolt at the face of the carrier.

Added Kroil around the remaining nuts and let it sit for a day and tried it the following day. All nuts came loose immediately.

I don't think I'd call Kroil "useless".

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Kroil

That's what I've gone to using.

I give it time to work, though. If I have something that needs it, I'll spray it the day before I plan on working on it. Or if I find a stuck part, I'll spray it and just let it sit until the next day.

Patience beats a lot of cussing and frustration every time. smile

I have seen a lot of damages cause they didn't have patience . Spray a whole can of Kroil and then immediately hit it with 1500 ft lbs impact .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Just this summer I had to change out blades on my rotary cutter. They are held in place by steel bolts with nuts on the underside of the cutter, where they are exposed to the rust and corrosion of plant liquids, as well as the constant hammering of sand and rocks. It'd been 3 years since done, and in humidity and and heat to boot.

First attempt at removing a nut resulted in a twisted off bolt at the face of the carrier.

Added Kroil around the remaining nuts and let it sit for a day and tried it the following day. All nuts came loose immediately.

I am glad kroil got the job done for you. 3-4 times a year I use a power washer and blast all the garbage out from under the mower

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Well life on the farm is kinda laid back.....

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Tried PB, and a couple others, way back when working on Jeeps (suspension/lift kits).
No air tools.

Coworker said try this and handed me a can of Aero Kroil.

I laughed. Figured it was same as the others.
Nope.

It worked.

Stinky stuff though.

Been to two major corporations w big equipment, and they use Kroil.

Hmmmmm.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
to get the rear sights off of my 1898 Springfield Armory (30-40 Krag, 1903) i had to use Kroil every day, twice a day, for 4 days. i did 2 to 3 drops of Kroil (not aerosol) on the screws every night. on the fourth day i took the screws out by hand, not a screwdriver. i was amazed at Kroil. no buggered up slotted head, just 2 or 3 drops Kroil every night, till it comes out.

the rear sights screws were probably set at the time the rifle came out from the factory(1903 - 2013). i saved the screws and the rear sight (put on a Redfield 102K aperture sight) , because i can't find the screws that go into a Krag. the screw thread count is NOT standard or metric, instead it is French design which is no longer used. to protect the threads in the rifle, i lit up a candle and dripped hot candle wax into the threads after i degreased them.

i use Kroil on stuck bolts and screws overnight or if i try them the next day and its still tight, i'll use Kroil overnight again and again until its loose. i've used PB Blaster, WD40, acetone with ATF, brake cleaner and some other stuff, but Kroil is my go to and if i have to unscrew or unbolt it right now, Liquid Wrench aerosol is next in line.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
.. he showed kroil PB and other top brands useless...

Absolute bullschitt.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I tend to use PB blaster. Never heard about atf and acetone before. One thing I try to do is spray what I'm taking apart a day or two before I'm putting a wrench to it. Hard to do if it just broke and you got to get it running but often I know I'll be working on it a head of time.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

I am glad kroil got the job done for you. 3-4 times a year I use a power washer and blast all the garbage out from under the mower

mr meenie works on his mower 3 maybe 4 times a year ... a true mechanical genius

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.