Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tikka. Lite, superlite. Doesn't matter. Either one vs. the others.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a T3x super lite 7mm08. Changed the stock to a B &C and switched out the trigger spring. Absolute tack driver hard to beat for the money, at any price if I think about it! I have looked at Kimber many times and never felt the fit and finish was where it needed to be, plus lots of talk about not shooting all that great…….made my decision simple! I have 4 Tikkas and they all shoot.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by byd
What do you know especially if you have shot both.

I've owned five Tikkas, one was a Super Lite that you mentioned, and three Kimbers. Out of those eight, I am down to just one Kimber Hunter but have not fired it yet.

Both have pluses and minuses to me. Much preferred the Kimber Montana over the Super Lite for hunting the coastal rainforest here where you go through a lot of brush. Lot of crawling over and under stuff where you can't have the rifle slung all the time. Just a sweet little rifle for that. The Tikka magazine stuck out at the balance point, and safety moved on me.

As much as I liked the Montana stock, I really prefer a detachable magazine. Preferably flush!

ETA - not a gunwriter but you can ask specific questions about either if you want

Has anyone else had the Tikka safety come off when walking through woods?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Never. I’ve busted through brush for hours and never had a safety come off on a Tikka

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have but only on one a couple times I have five but only remember it happening on the one.It seems to move just a little easier than the other ones.

Last edited by willycc; 10/07/23.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a T3 lite in 7-08 and a Hunter in 243. Had to change my bench technique to see the Hunters accuracy. Honestly it’s a joy to carry, but the Tika is a better balanced rifle for field shooting for me

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
There is a saying called "Playing the Kimber Roulette". It stems from guys having so many issues with Kimbers, and others having none. You just never know.

Tikka T3 series on the other hand, have been extremely consistent for a great many owners. There is always a rare exception to the rule, but they are very few and far between.

Without question, I would opt for, and recommend the Tikka.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll sacrifice and take all those nasty Kimber Montana's with those issues.

Pm for the address to send them to.

You're welcome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a Kimber Hunter in 6.5CM. Shot some good groups with it but was never consistently 1" or less. Bought a Bergara Woodsman in 6.5CM. This rifle was a big step up in accuracy and consistency over the Kimber. Last spring picked up a Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5CM. Even better than the Bergara but the step up in accuracy and consistency over the Bergara is smaller. Of the 3 the Kimber was lightest and had maybe the best trigger but just did not shoot as well as the others. The Bergara has a beautiful wood stock and is a consistent sub 1" rifle. The Tikka shoots clover leafs more often the others. 1/2" or smaller 3 shot groups common/expected. My only complaints with the Tikka is all the plastic and the mag only holds 3 rounds. Easy to get over when it shoots like a custom rifle.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m a Win Model 70 fan through and through.
I’m also a lefty.
I own 3 LH Model 70s. All are fine rifles and as accurate as anything I’ve ever owned. But, all have required tweaking(extra $)to get them to where I was satisfied with them.

For years I waited, hoping Kimber would come out with a LH Montana. They actually even put out a brochure showing a LH Kimber 8400 (in Walnut) a few years ago but then dropped the idea.😳🥴

First time I picked up a Tikka I thought it was junk(because I hate all plastic parts/stocks on rifles). But after seeing them shoot I began looking more closely at them and the wheels began turning in my head….especially because stainless options are so difficult to find in left hand bolt actions, and Tikka has stainless in several calibers.

I now own 2 Superlites and am building a custom on a stainless Tikka action.

I still hate the plastic…so, I tweak the Tikkas. It’s just a fact of life as a lefty. To get what you want you’re gonna have to spend a little extra.

The majority of my rifles(Win 70, Rem 700, Tikka T3X) are stocked in fiberglass from McMillan(Did I mention tweaking?).😁

Now back to the OP’s question….

For me it’s Tikka, hands down!

Here’s why:

-Even with the plastic(which I still can’t warm up to) they are predictably accurate!
-Short bolt throw is nice.
-Tikka trigger is excellent straight out of the box, but it’s also fully adjustable if you want to tweak it more.
-Safety locks the bolt closed when engaged(love this).
-Tikka is the new Rem 700(many aftermarket parts and options now available for tweaking, customizing etc.)

Just my 2 cents.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 10/11/23.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I recently set up a Tikka 7-08 superlite for my 12 year old. Easiest gun I have ever done load development for… Which is to say- No load development! I simply took loads that worked in our other 7mm-08s (120 NBT and 140 NAB) and shot them into sub MOA groups. I am a fan.

So is he…

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tikka...hands down. Kimber ain't even close.

I think you're spot on.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I recently set up a Tikka 7-08 superlite for my 12 year old. Easiest gun I have ever done load development for… Which is to say- No load development! I simply took loads that worked in our other 7mm-08s (120 NBT and 140 NAB) and shot them into sub MOA groups. I am a fan.

So is he…

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice looking speed goat.

Great smile on the kid!

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Having over a dozen Kimbers and the same with Tikka, save money and time - buy the Tikka. Never had an issue with hand loading for the Tikka - no incense, candles, two part epoxy, adjusting the firing pin length - just add ammo and sight it in. However, if you are a "tinkerer" and insist on CRF and 3 position safety, the Kimber will likely treat you quite well. An accurate Kimber is a wonderful rifle.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out of the box, Tikka without exception!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.