Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Must be fall!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That’s cool your caregiver wheeled you outside.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I think the cranes must have snuck out. Usually I see mass formations. This year I heard one small flock, somewhere in the distance.

Same with geese.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen more cranes this year going south than any other. Same 5 large flocks two weeks ago. Did see a huge flock of Canadian geese last week.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve been starting to notice big flocks of high flyers recently. We have a ton of Snows here but we don’t usually see the huge flocks of thousands of birds until late winter. Usually February and March after the general season is finished the birds move onto the fields turning them solid white. When a flock like that gets up it sounds like several 747’s powering up….they’re definitely noisy.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have not seen the typical numbers of geese for this time of year in Edmonton, I think the majority of them are still up north, it is unseasonably warm for this time of year.

KB

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I spoke too soon, maybe. Last two days there have been a lot of geese and swans going over.

Maybe someone sent them a weather report.

2 inches of wet snow on the deck this morning , still coming down, but won't stick. Headed to the Lobo cabin later. Gonna be greasy on the track.

Forecast high tomorrow is 45*

Last edited by las; 10/12/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my backyard a few minutes ago they are starting to pile in!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/12/23.

KB

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Snows are different on many levels... there are virtually no snows nesting in AK (tiny population in Prudhoe Bay are the only known population.) The snows that flew over me left Russia, Wrangel Island specifically, and are headed down the Pacific Flyway to winter on our Pacific coast. We are in flyover country. We have Canada geese, mostly duskies, all over the place.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I recall reading in the book “Two in the Far North” by Margaret Murie who was the wife of Olaus Murie of the famous Murie brothers who were naturalists that spent countless hours studying, sketching, collecting samples and all the other stuff naturalists do and did back in the 19teens and on through the 1920’ & 30’s. One of the chapters described a goose banding “mission” they embarked upon paying a Indian friend to pole them up the Old Crow river deep in the north Easter interior. It was a arduous trip fraught with all kinds of discomforts like mosquitoes but it was also a success in many other ways. They found a lot of prehistoric artifacts like teeth from the giant beaver and quite a bit of mammoth bone and ivory. They did all that work but in the end they only banded several dozen, if I recall correctly they were only able to band somewhere less than a hundred and they weren’t terribly optimistic that they would get much information or returns from the banding project. In the end they received quite a few returned bands with the associated information that indicated the date and area killed. They received a few returns each year for several years and could see how many times the individual goose migrated. Where each goose was killed in relation to the Old Crow river was really interesting too. The distribution of that very small sample told scientists a lot back then and that little goose banding project opened the door for new research. I don’t have the book with me down here but I’ll be back up there in a week or two….it recall correctly they recovered geese from hunters in Texas to Alberta and Kansas…Saskatchewan and Idaho and several places in between. Those geese in one little section of the Old Crow river in NE Alaska/far NW Yukon went in “all directions”….

I do know that the snow geese we kill here are by and large Wrangel island origin. Most of the geese that show up around now are Canadian geese or a subspecies of Canadians with the snows, at least the giant flocks of snows coming later.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
I think the cranes must have snuck out. Usually I see mass formations. This year I heard one small flock, somewhere in the distance.

Same with geese.

Just saw the first flock of cranes headed south. Figure they must have left Alaska what, two-three weeks ago?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Necroposting, just to say the cranes are headed back your direction. Heard and saw two flocks yesterday, heard what sounded like two bigass flocks today.

I always like seeing them migrate.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just been seeing and hearing cranes in central TX headed north the last week or so. They will be in AK before I fly north for the year.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took this picture in my backyard yesterday, February is not the typical time that Geese show up, about three weeks early this year.

KB

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Last year the cranes showed up to 2 feet of snow covering the ground. They circled and circled squawking. "What the hell" "What the hell"...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They are thick in SD right now. We're setting high temp records today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Usually pass through SE Oregon, but not seen any yet. Typically swans ahead of the snows, but not seen those either.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 55 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.