Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
I used Sierra pro hunter in several calibers including my 300 win mag. They just work on stuff including moose and elk. Edk

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ERK
I used Sierra pro hunter in several calibers including my 300 win mag. They just work on stuff including moose and elk. Edk

They appear to have a pretty good selection in wts. RE: the .308 offerings.

Which bullet do you like?

Both the .264 and .277 offering, my primary calibers, are singular and std. weight, with nothing heavy.

GR

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
I’ve used the 150 pro hunter in 06 and 308 win. My pistol in 06 will clover leaf them and have killed deer from 30 to 300 yards. My brother shot a nice doe at 250 with that pistol. Instant death. When we butchered it the bullet was just under the far hide. Both shoulders broke and jello lungs. Needless to say he was impressed. Edk

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I find that in general I’m able to get better groups with flat base bullets at ~100 yards. One of the reasons I’m sticking with flat base bullet if I can.
I guess I don’t think shooting much beyond 300 yards as hunting. I consider it shooting. I get as close as I can before I shoot, if it means belly crawling or following ravines or cover, well that’s part of hunting for me.
I shoot prairie dogs, I don’t hunt them.
I was hunting elk in WY a few years ago. Some dude from back East had a shooting bench set up with a camo tent around his set up. He said that he was set up for a 1,000 yard shot…
The people that have to have fast twist rifling and low drag bullets have missed the pleasures of hunting, in my opinion.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
The people that have to have fast twist rifling and low drag bullets have missed the pleasures of hunting, in my opinion.

Wondering here how the fast twist low drag 1000 yard game shooter fits into the plain old flat base cup & core discussion.

But, some stick bow people cry the same thing about speed bow people, and some speed bow people cry the same thing about crossbow people. It's all just a bunch of pointless crying.

Never really understood the compulsive desire some people have to bitch about what other people choose to do. In the end we are all on the same team.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
...The people that have to have fast twist rifling and low drag bullets have missed the pleasures of hunting, in my opinion.

Was a time when the braggin' was about how close one got to the game.

Woodsmanship and marksmanship.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Wondering here how the fast twist low drag 1000 yard game shooter fits into the plain old flat base cup & core discussion.

But, some stick bow people cry the same thing about speed bow people, and some speed bow people cry the same thing about crossbow people. It's all just a bunch of pointless crying.

Never really understood the compulsive desire some people have to bitch about what other people choose to do. In the end we are all on the same team.

Nope! Their sport is much more like a butcher shooting a cow in a a chute. Absolutely zero sport. Just killing.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/07/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
that is why i limit my shots to 150 yards and less. i use cast bullets .286" all the way up to .512". they are FN, LFN and WFN. the gas check is optional. the cast bullets go from 900fps up to 1951fps. where i sit in the woods, 60ish yards is a long shot. 30+/- yards and behind the shoulder is usually where i shoot the deer.

i still use the jacketed bullets sparingly.

270 Win with 140 Hornady SST with IMR4350
30 Herrett with 130gr Speer HP with Reloder 7
8x57 with 170gr Speer Semi SP with IMR4350
7x57 with the 150gr PSP (factory seconds) with IMR4320 (i have 2 or 3 lbs of it)
30 Remington with 150gr Speer FN with H322

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I lucked into a bunch of corelokt .30 220grain.

Used em on a bear and a handful of deer so far.

They kill.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hornady Interlocks and Speer Hot-Cors in 257/264/284/308 have always shown excellent accuracy and on game performance, for a very long time, now.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 10/07/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I killed loads of deer with 30 cal corelocks in 165 and 180 no complaints here.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess I don’t think shooting much beyond 300 yards as hunting. I consider it shooting. I get as close as I can before I shoot, if it means belly crawling or following ravines or cover, well that’s part of hunting for me.
I shoot prairie dogs, I don’t hunt them... in my opinion.

And the correct one.

GR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I find that in general I’m able to get better groups with flat base bullets at ~100 yards. One of the reasons I’m sticking with flat base bullet if I can.
I shoot prairie dogs, I don’t hunt them.
I was hunting elk in WY a few years ago. Some dude from back East had a shooting bench set up with a camo tent around his set up. He said that he was set up for a 1,000 yard shot…

Grab a bow and arrow, if you think you are a good indian. I'm a smart indian and use a rifle. Those that can't shoot far, don't have to. That is personal choice.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One could spend weeks, probably months, getting in shape to spend most of the day, or days, getting in position on some of the most rugged and dangerous terrain on the planet, on a hunt of a lifetime, to take a 500, 600, 800 yard shot on a Ram or a Goat on the next slope over....and some random irrelevant knucklehead on the internet preaches it's just killing because it's over 300 yards.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by tdoyka
that is why i limit my shots to 150 yards and less. i use cast bullets .286" all the way up to .512". they are FN, LFN and WFN. the gas check is optional. the cast bullets go from 900fps up to 1951fps. where i sit in the woods, 60ish yards is a long shot. 30+/- yards and behind the shoulder is usually where i shoot the deer.

i still use the jacketed bullets sparingly.

270 Win with 140 Hornady SST with IMR4350
30 Herrett with 130gr Speer HP with Reloder 7
8x57 with 170gr Speer Semi SP with IMR4350
7x57 with the 150gr PSP (factory seconds) with IMR4320 (i have 2 or 3 lbs of it)
30 Remington with 150gr Speer FN with H322

Try those 8X57 Speers with CFE223. It wakes the old 8MM right up.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
One could spend weeks, probably months, getting in shape to spend most of the day, or days, getting in position on some of the most rugged and dangerous terrain on the planet, on a hunt of a lifetime, to take a 500, 600, 800 yard shot on a Ram or a Goat on the next slope over....and some random irrelevant knucklehead on the internet preaches it's just killing because it's over 300 yards.

Fly-Sh(t-in-the-Pepper fallacy, don't ya think?

In most cases, one doesn't spend any time at all gettin' in shape, or acquiring either woodsmanship or marksmanship skills, rides their 4-wheeler out to some stand or perch, and then shoots off a rest or table, using their range-finder, weather station, and dialing scope gimmickry.

Sad but true.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Garandimal

In most cases, one doesn't spend any time at all gettin' in shape, or acquiring either woodsmanship or marksmanship skills, rides their 4-wheeler out to some stand or perch, and then shoots off a rest or table, using their range-finder, weather station, and dialing scope gimmickry.

Sad but true.

GR

Won't say that isn't true in a lot of cases but you're painting with a very broad brush trying to dictate your pompous personal ethics onto others. THAT is the "Fly-Sh(t-in-the-Pepper fallacy".

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back in the days when I hunted with rifles for which you could actually buy ammo or bullets to reload them, I used Hornady Interlock or Sierra Game Kings.

For the last 25 or so years all I've used is home cast. I do still load some cup & core but don't hunt with them. I usually have to swage something down before I can use it in rifles with less than pristine bores.

IF I go this year I'll be using a 56 cal., German, muzzleloading double rifle from the 1850's and home cast round balls....maybe...for a day or so.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For the type of work you describe I use Interlocks with cannelures most of the time. A few Speers and NBTs too.
.223 55 gr FB-SP w-cannelure
.243 100 gr BT I/L - the flatbase is discontinued
.250SAV 87 gr Speer Hot Cores
6.5's 129 gr I/L FB w/cannelure
7mm's 154 gr I/L FB w/cannelure
.308Win 150 gr I/L FB w/cannelure
.30-06 165-180 gr I/L FBw/cannelure
.308Nor 180 gr I/L FB w/cannelure
.300Wby 200 gr SpeerHot Core
.338Win 225 gr I/L FB w/cannelure
.45-70 350 gr I/L FB w/cannelure

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Sad but true.

GR

Won't say that isn't true in a lot of cases but you're painting with a very broad brush trying to dictate your pompous personal ethics onto others. THAT is the "Fly-Sh(t-in-the-Pepper fallacy".

What is bein' addressed - is the modern culture of increasing range, for the sole purpose of increasing range, at the Exclusion of woodsmanship and marksmanship.

Which is Shooting, not Hunting.

GR

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.