R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
I don’t have no science to back me up , but this has been my experience
Skme years ago I was reading up on deer vision
Supposedly they pick up ultra violet light very well
So looking into it , it seems that most clothes give off a ultra violet light or reflection
Especially the ones washed in color brightner detergent
So I found out about this spray on that kills the ultra violet light
You can also get it as a detergent too
So I laid my camo out and sprayed both sides thoroughly . Hung it across fence and put it on next morning
I am very skeptical about gadgets , scents , and such
But like scotts308 have been busted many times setting very still and sometimes at distances
So late in the evening I was setting back under a holly tree that had some low limbs on it
A 5 point came through , stopped in front of me just looking around
It’s gaze crossed right over me
When it looked back over its shoulder I took the shot and got him
So now I got one positive effect from it
Which don’t hold much water with me
Couple more times I had deer walk right up to me either on the ground
So as years went on I gained confidence in the stuff and use it regularly
I have been busted a few times using it , but it definitely doesn’t happen often anymore
Supposedly you can get the same effect by simply using detergent without color brightners in it
But I continue to use the uv killer spray and kill the hell out of deer
Just my experience
Kenneth

And yes, they are a buisness, and they do design camo to attract the human eye and supposedly some of it I’d high in UV light spectrum

I don't use any detergents when washing my camo.
Washing machines were designed to be used without 'soap/detergent', that is why they have the agitate cycle.

FJB & FJT
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Do you run a rinse cycle first to rid the machine of any remnant UV "brightener" enhancers?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
When I don a camo item I don't think it's going to make me one with the surroundings, it just happens to be camo and fits the comfort bill at the time.

Same.

No way I'm donning a uniform. Some guys are better accessorized with matching ensembles than a red-carpet event for a movie premier.
Staying still and/or being mindful of light/shadows, skyline (and of course - wind) is key – heck of a lot cheaper and no need to sweat the carpeting not matching the drapes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This is a picture of my 2 sons in a pine forest with Kuiu camo. If you don’t believe it works, you are blind…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Here's more what a deer would see. They see much better at night so they'll be seeing this when it's too dark for us to see much at all.

I've had deer walk within feet of me while wearing my blue and black plaid Filson and sitting against the base of ponderosa pines. I hear tell they can see blue really well, but the large blocks of plaid must blend in well with the vertical stripes of pine bark. That was back when I got out more though so maybe it's different now.

What do you want me to say, I’m wrong?

If you can’t tell there is an advantage of blending in with good camo, it really doesn’t matter. It does create a lessening of a threatening outline by having a good camo pattern. Take it or leave it…
I didn't say anyone is right or wrong. I just posted color and b&w for comparison. Make up your own mind.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The stripped hoodie I got in a yard sale for about $2, over 30 years ago. It is almost always my go-to hunting shirt. It is more effective than you might think, especially in timber. It does have a few camp-fire spark holes in it now.

The Jacket (also usually my go-to for hunting, and everyday...)came from SG- for about $35, maybe 15 years ago.IIRC. Both are synthetic fleece, warm, don't hold water, dry quickly.

Last edited by las; 10/11/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been wearing this camo parka for about 25 years. It's fleece, mostly waterproof, and uninsulated. It's loose enough to fit over a down coat so it can be warm if needed. With the hood, it's especially good in the wind.
I don't know if the camo has ever done me any good. I've shot a lot animals while wearing it, both with and without an orange vest.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
All I appreciate the time in replies and advice so far. Thanks again

Scott

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As stated, most detergents have UV brighteners. Don't use those.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
I don’t have no science to back me up , but this has been my experience
Skme years ago I was reading up on deer vision
Supposedly they pick up ultra violet light very well
So looking into it , it seems that most clothes give off a ultra violet light or reflection
Especially the ones washed in color brightner detergent
So I found out about this spray on that kills the ultra violet light
You can also get it as a detergent too
So I laid my camo out and sprayed both sides thoroughly . Hung it across fence and put it on next morning
I am very skeptical about gadgets , scents , and such
But like scotts308 have been busted many times setting very still and sometimes at distances
So late in the evening I was setting back under a holly tree that had some low limbs on it
A 5 point came through , stopped in front of me just looking around
It’s gaze crossed right over me
When it looked back over its shoulder I took the shot and got him
So now I got one positive effect from it
Which don’t hold much water with me
Couple more times I had deer walk right up to me either on the ground
So as years went on I gained confidence in the stuff and use it regularly
I have been busted a few times using it , but it definitely doesn’t happen often anymore
Supposedly you can get the same effect by simply using detergent without color brightners in it
But I continue to use the uv killer spray and kill the hell out of deer
Just my experience
Kenneth

And yes, they are a buisness, and they do design camo to attract the human eye and supposedly some of it I’d high in UV light spectrum

i use Atsko U-V-Killer sportswash for about 20 years. i use earth scent too. deer don't notice me, even down winded deer. before, i was always seen or winded. i used to go to tree stands, but ever since my stroke, a homemade ground blind. i have deer about 4 or 5 feet away and i'm invisible.

i don't do U-V spray anymore. i use the sportwash for it.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To no one in particular: If you really think this whole UV thing through, eventually you get a palm-2-face moment and realize what a twat you've been believing in it. I had been asked by a rep from Atsko to test the product. I did. It didn't work. He sent me some more stuff and different directions. That didn't work. Then one day. . . Arrrgh! It hit me. It's all here:

Elephant Repellant

I almost lost my gig at D&DH over this. I had to promise not to test any of their advertisers' products and to make sure future criticisms were labeled as "just my opinion."

There is a speck of truth to this whole UV thing. However, it is the opposite of what was portrayed by the various marketers. Deer do see vaguely into the UV range. However, it is the lack of UV reflection that warns them they're looking at white fur and not snow.

As to the whole camo thing in general, you're talking to a guy who hunts in a radioactive hunter-orange clown suit. I bought this thing as a thumb-2-nose to Atsko, proclaiming I could hunt in it and be more successful than dowsing myself with their product. It just so happen, that I did have good luck in the suit, so it stuck.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Back to this camo thing. As I get on, I have found hunting in brown Carharts, olive drab field coats, etc. to be about as effective as any super-duper camo I got handed to try. I can say that now. If I had to pick one camo pattern that really did it for me, it would have to be this one:

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]
It used to be sure-fire around the Greater Ohio Valley in October.

If I had to pick a currently available pattern, I'd have to go with Flecktarn

[Linked Image from images.esellerpro.com]

Last edited by shaman; 10/12/23.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I previously posted this parka that I've worn for more than 25 years and I've shot a lot of both deer and elk while wearing it. It's the best possible camo pattern for a reason - I didn't pay for it. It was a birthday gift from my dad all those years ago. The animals don't seem to care what I'm wearing so the price I paid for it takes precedence.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Camo is over rated.

Million of deer died to hunters in red plaid Woolrich outfits.

Buck trackers in Maine and the NE walk up to bucks in green plaid.

It's movement and scent that give you away.

Camo is more for the hunters....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shaman- edit your image addresses by adding a s to the end of http so everybody can enjoy them without clicking...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shaman- edit your image addresses by adding a s to the end of http so everybody can enjoy them without clicking...

Done. Thanks, I'd missed that-- too much blood in my coffee system. I had to readjust levels.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hicountry
Camo is over rated.

Million of deer died to hunters in red plaid Woolrich outfits.

Buck trackers in Maine and the NE walk up to bucks in green plaid.

It's movement and scent that give you away.

Camo is more for the hunters....

Camo is simply a fashion statement!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Deer do not see in black and white, they are red / green color blind is all.
As stated above they do see some UV and various colors.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by las
Do you run a rinse cycle first to rid the machine of any remnant UV "brightener" enhancers?

Yes

FJB & FJT
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is an amazing debate on the merit of camo. There needs to be a application to obtain grant money to study the issue.

Last edited by StumpDodger; 10/12/23.

Go Ahead And Backup
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wore solid wool for years, never felt handicapped and until recently wore solid bottoms. Having experimented with lots of camo over the years, I settled on KUIU mostly because it works as advertised (warm, functional, etc.) but mainly because they make the most comfortable hunting clothing I've ever worn. I used to spend a lot of money on suits for work but these days, my most expensive and favorite clothing is my hunting gear. Lots of lightweight fabrics that fit well, stretch and are warm and durable. I have solids too but I don't wear my hunting clothes out of season so camo makes sense to me. I do believe that in much of the hunting I do in GA pines at often close range, camo does make a difference. If I hunted in the west most of the time, I'd still wear KUIU (seriously, you could sleep in this stuff it's so comfortable) but probably more solids.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 10/12/23.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,528
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.