Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Some years ago I picked up a used 257 Roberts built on an FN Mauser M-98 action in Post Falls ID. I was told at the time that the rifle had probably been built somewhere in the area, though no maker’s name can be found anywhere either on the metal or stock interior.

It has a nicely figured stock expertly inletted and classically shaped, with an interesting fleur-de-lis checkering pattern. Each fleur-de-lis shows a fine hollow line detail in each petal. I had not seen that pattern before. An ebony tip finishes the fore-end. The pistol grip is comfortably open and slim in circumference.

The rifle has a Blackburn trigger, finely tuned. The only possible identifying mark seems to be on the root of the bolt handle. The bolt knob is flattened and checkered on its inner surface, a bit under 0.7” diameter on the end of a swept back handle.

Overall a pleasing classical rifle, well done in walnut and blued steel. Few signs, if any, of use or firing.

In the photos below the rifle in question is the lower of the 2 Bobs, in the upper left hand photo and the upper rifle in the lower right photo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Does anyone recognize who gunmaker might be from the style or the mark on the bolt handle root?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Very nice rifle. Have you taken it apart, fully? Some, like my recently bought Mannlicher 6.5x55, have the maker (Dale Goens) in the stock inlet or another under the butt plate. I have a well executed pre-war M70 270 Win that I bought in Sandpoint years ago that has no maker shown.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Really no telling but someone may be able to tell from the style
Back in the Mauser days there were as many garage builders of Mauser as there are AR15 builders
Most were hack jobs or kinda kit guns
On the cheap
But the workmanship of your rifle narrows the field a bunch probably a professional
Although I have seen some armature hobby gunsmiths do that leavel of craftsmanship but rare

Last edited by rainierrifleco; 10/12/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 11 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.