-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For $550 the Trijicon Credo 3-9 would be a great scope for that application. Great glad, good eye relief, great eye box, reliable, repeatable and outstanding illumination control.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd just as soon drive a 6x MQ,rather than fhuqk around. 2 MOA at 600yds,don't even begin to tap it's inherent abilities and it's reticle is easy to hold HARD. Hint.

While I have a couple/few Barkin' ARKEN's and BTR Gen2 2-12x Mil/Mil Lit Bitches,the 6x MQ gives up nothing in the fray in 600yd steel. I want my Barkin' ARKEN's at no more than 16x,though I own them all. The BTR Gen2 is tough to whoop for Killing. Locking turrets,mechanical zero stop and daylight BRIGHT illumination,do not suck. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Burris has as of yet,to make anything worth a fhuqk. Trijicon struggles mightily with reticles and their tracking is neither warm or fuzzy. NightFarce tries. Hint.

As SWFA goes,I've a herd of 3-15's in both DMR SFP and MQ FFP's. The FFP's are Skookum. On a Krunchenticker,I prefer the 1-6x HD LitBitch MQ. Hint.

Internals mean farrrrrrrrrr more than X's. Hint..................................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd just as soon drive a 6x MQ,rather than fhuqk around. 2 MOA at 600yds,don't even begin to tap it's inherent abilities and it's reticle is easy to hold HARD. Hint.

While I have a couple/few Barkin' ARKEN's and BTR Gen2 2-12x Mil/Mil Lit Bitches,the 6x MQ gives up nothing in the fray in 600yd steel. I want my Barkin' ARKEN's at no more than 16x,though I own them all. The BTR Gen2 is tough to whoop for Killing. Locking turrets,mechanical zero stop and daylight BRIGHT illumination,do not suck. Hint.

Burris has as of yet,to make anything worth a fhuqk. Trijicon struggles mightily with reticles and their tracking is neither warm or fuzzy. NightFarce tries. Hint.

As SWFA goes,I've a herd of 3-15's in both DMR SFP and MQ FFP's. The FFP's are Skookum. On a Krunchenticker,I prefer the 1-6x HD LitBitch MQ. Hint.

Internals mean farrrrrrrrrr more than X's. Hint..................................

What about a Leupold Fixed 4x??

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen/shot one,that tracked,repeated or held zero. Hint............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I think more is better, but it's more about matching the reticle to the target.
For instance, in HP we shoot a 4.5x scope out to 1,000. The 10 ring is 2 MOA and most reticles have a 1 MOA or smaller dot.

On a target bigger than this one, your 4.5 scope will work.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I believe the op is asking about a good scope for hitting a 12" target at 600 yards. Lets try to help the OP out, not hinder him with a 4.5x scope.
More is nearly always better, depending on how the gun is to be held (rest, bipod, hands, etc.). Given a rest, I'd say go with a 50x March!

I'm just trying to temper the discussion with a little reality and point out that the reticle is as important as the magnification.
As another example, a shooter can successfully clean a 6MOA bull with a 2 MOA 10 ring using a 4MOA dot reticle. It's all about matching the reticle to the target. Sometimes I like to put my 1/2 MOA dot inside the 1 MOA (or even 1/2 MOA) X ring. Other times, I like a 10 MOA ring around the bull, ignoring the dot entirely.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=IZH27

12” steel at distances of 600 yds plus. What is the minimal magnification

?[/quote]

If you can see the target and have nothing better, 12 can work, but why screw around. To have fun doing it, 24X is the minimum I would want, and you're saying 600 PLUS......24 at 600 is like 4x at 100. Use 24x at that distance and you won't be wanting to dial it back to 12 or 15. And if you've 32x available, you'd be using that instead. Go to a shooter website with lots of serious match shooters and see what they're using for that sort of thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1.5 MOA steel here at 900yds. Hint.

In The REAL World,Magnification makes minimal fhuqks,within reason. Reticles and internals,STEAL The Show. It's never been tough to savvy who shoots and who don't. Hint.

6-24x here. Hint.

4-16x here,which is VASTLY superior,in The REAL World. Hint.

Though admittedly,I'm talking EXCEPTIONAL Rifles,which actually fhuqking exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got a little 1-6 x lpvo mounted on a m4 colt. it's actually surprising what you can do in that power range 400 yd hits on an 8-in gong is very doable
that's really as far as I played with that set up I would say 600 yards is quite doable on a 10 to 12 in Target..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Big Stick

What about a Leupold Fixed 4x??

That doesn't support communist China, so it's a no-go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PaulaBurnedHard,

I've simply shot/got 100's of scopes and am rather at ease in the first hand extrapolations of same,as you Whine aloud...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What happened to your "heralded" Avatar? HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

IC B3

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for all of the comments. A lot to consider.

To clarify I have had a large high mag high end scope on the rifle. It was quite unbalanced due to so much weight above the bore. Above magnification that is the primary issue that I’m trying to resolve.

Second would be to find a combination that is a bit lighter for better carry. That may not be such a big deal since the AR is beefy as built.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Age is showing me: It takes more Xs now than it did then.

Through my twenties I killed tons of schitt with a 2.5-7x32 Weaver V7 on a Win 670 30-06. Ground squirrels out to 300 yds.......not a problem. Deer? Elk? I never wished for more glass.

Today at the range, at 300 yds, I found the resolution on a Leupie VX3i 3.5-10x40 lacking. A Vortex Viper at 16X was barely adequate for the task. But some of that should be blamed on the targets chosen. The target was a bit complex. A plain black bull would have served better.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, anothergun, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 619 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,515
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.