Hop To
T
Tom2506 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hey Guys and Gals,
Anyone have spinal(cervical) fusion? I did back in Jan of this year. C5 to C6. I do have about 25% nerve damage after surgery still. Dr won’t clear me to shoot anything heavier recoiling than a 22LR. How long was it before you started shooting shotguns/heavier calibers? It seems like I will miss firearms season again this year. Last year I was waiting on surgery to get approved.
Thanks, Tom

Last edited by Tom2506; 10/12/23.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C2 and C3 for me. Gymnastics when I was 16.

Was back in full swing in 6 months. Only thing was no football. Otherwise was cleared for everything - well maybe not a couple of motorcycle accidents that happened later but walked away from three.

Decades later, not a care in the world.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
T
Tom2506 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Wow! That’s awesome! Wish I could say the same outcome happened. Trying to stay hopeful.
Thanks, Tom

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My only issues 9 years post neck surgery is I can no longer shoot prone position in small bore matches. My neck is not flexable enough. As I recall it was about 6 months before I could shoot again. I don't shoot heavy recoiling rifles anymore but that is because of having 3 rotator cuff surgeries. Follow your doctors advice as your neck is rather imoprtant.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What kind of fusion are we talking about? Anterior (ACDF), or posterior? Bone graft, or just plates and screws? Any residual pain?

I'm guessing that if the boney fusion hasn't completely healed after nine months, it ain't ever gonna!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had C-4 and c-5 done 15 years ago. I started shooting rifles and shotguns 4 months after the surgery. I was just in a car wreck on may the 18th and they had to do c-2 and c-3 done. This time my doctor said no shooting for nine months. So I can't do any hunting this year at all but I'm going to do what he says. The reason he gave me for the longer time was my age (64) and that my bones wouldn't fuse or heal as fast as when I was younger.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
T
Tom2506 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by rabst
What kind of fusion are we talking about? Anterior (ACDF), or posterior? Bone graft, or just plates and screws? Any residual pain?

I'm guessing that if the boney fusion hasn't completely healed after nine months, it ain't ever gonna!

Plates and screws. Went in through my throat, so, Anterior? He also did a discectomy, as my disc was badly damaged. I’m 53, so maybe age has something to do with it? He said it was healing on my last visit in September.
Thanks, Tom

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Tom2506
Hey Guys and Gals,
Anyone have spinal(cervical) fusion? I did back in Jan of this year. C5 to C6. I do have about 25% nerve damage after surgery still. Dr won’t clear me to shoot anything heavier recoiling than a 22LR. How long was it before you started shooting shotguns/heavier calibers? It seems like I will miss firearms season again this year. Last year I was waiting on surgery to get approved.
Thanks, Tom

Get a substantial bolt gun in .243, and recoil won't be a problem.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hunt with a handgun?

T
Tom2506 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by kenacp
Hunt with a handgun?

Not allowed in my home state, however I could in other states. Good idea!

Thanks, Tom

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
C3,C4,C5 fused, with bone graft, metal cage, plate and screws, 24 years ago, like previously mentioned can’t shoot prone but other than that, no issues.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Tom2506
Plates and screws. Went in through my throat, so, Anterior? He also did a discectomy, as my disc was badly damaged. I’m 53, so maybe age has something to do with it? He said it was healing on my last visit in September.
Thanks, Tom

So, single-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF). At 53, unless you're a smoker, or have other underlying medical issues that might delay healing, I think your surgeon is exercising "an abundance of caution" in the advice given.

If I were you, I think I could easily rationalize grabbing one of my lighter-recoiling rifles and setting out to enjoy the hunting season.

Might not mention it to the doctor, though.

T
Tom2506 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
So, single-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF). At 53, unless you're a smoker, or have other underlying medical issues that might delay healing, I think your surgeon is exercising "an abundance of caution" in the advice given.

If I were you, I think I could easily rationalize grabbing one of my lighter-recoiling rifles and setting out to enjoy the hunting season.

Might not mention it to the doctor, though.[/quote]

Thanks! He does tend to err on the side of caution. I’m going to try shooting some 25-06 as I don’t have anything smaller. Thanks for advice!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had a neck surgery in 2015. replace two discs. there is no fusion there is no metal there is nothing basically like a firm sponge a pop back in place of a disc they scraped out. they told me at the time this was fairly new but the doctor went back for me with the insurance company because of my lifestyle to keep me going. the greatest thing I've done in a long time. he made the remark that they had done this with some actual paratroopers that had popping disc in a jumping incidents and they had them re-jumping out of a plane in 30 days...

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
C3,4,5 fused with plates and screws in October 8 years ago at 59. Was shooting my 06 and 338wm 10 months later. I asked about shooting my 375 H&H and was told to wait another year, I didn't wait a year but did wait another 6-7 months. Like others I can't shoot prone but didn't much anyway.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had my neck fused L-4, L-5, & L-6 fused with plates and screws at 62 years old and I could not shoot anything over a .22 rimfire for 1 year. I still do not shoot my 300 RUM because of recoil. I get along pretty good. You will have some bad days from sleeping wrong or working on something that gets you in a bind. It is a total success from my view. It was a long healing process but well worth it being pain free everyday. Everyone is different and all surgeries do not get the same results. I had to wear the hard collar for 7 months and a soft collar for 5 months. Only could sleep in the recliner chair for about a year. Small price to pay for success. Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had S1-L5-L4 fused and doc said no shooting for 9 months including pistols, had C1-C2-C3 doc said no shooting for 6 months. The neck was much easier to get through the healing.

Who knows why he's being so cautious but I'd listen to him and live with it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (405winash, 2UP, 10Glocks, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 10 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,121
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.