P
Different mechanism.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I've written quite a few "bear stories" in my blogs that were personal experiences. But one that perhaps illustrates the theme of this thread very well happened about two decades ago: I was carrying a new 1895 Marlin (with very nice wood) with a compact scope on top, scouting Crown Land (public land) for bear sign. I was on a trail bordering a lake but with thick forest of each side of the trail. I was walking rather slowly, carrying the rifle in my right hand by my side, occasionally stopping and listening for any faint sounds. As I got deeper in the woods and farther from the main dirt road, I was more aware of running into a bear since I knew the area quite well. Then I barely heard some faint "cries" coming from near the tops of trees (conifers) about 15 yards from me and the trail. I recognized them as bear cubs.

I never heard or saw momma bear, but I knew she'd be on me within the next few seconds but didn't know from what direction! My firdt priority was self-protection (and a cartridge was already in the chamber, with the hammer cocked and safety off, rifle mounted to my shoulder as I quietly backed away from that immediate area until I felt secure enough to turn around and walk out the way I came in - still being cautious that the bear could follow.

My second priority was to not shoot a female mother bear, which would mean having a meeting with COs to explain matters. Otherwise a court appearance.

Being Crown Land, others used that trail for hiking and fishing, not many would recognize the source of those faint cries and be in serious trouble. I never go into thoses areas without a rifle and a legit game license. Carrying a loaded rifle in such areas without an in-season game license for something could mean serious trouble if confronted by a CO. We (in Ontario) can't carry a firearm on public property for self-protection only.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both grizzlies and black bear may be prone to an aroused attack or predatory in the case of black bears. "Bear Attacks, their causes and avoidance"-By Dr. Steve Herrero covers the waterfront,
citing the USFS recommendations including the 338 WM and 458 WM. As recently as this summer, a 180 lb black bear attacked and killed a man working on his cabin near Prescott, AZ.

Personal preference is a pre-war Winchester Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. Preference is due to weight, reliability, speed of repeat shots, and effective 400 gr FP bullets used. Another, 2nd preference is a pre-war Deluxe Model 71 in 450 Fuller-for the same reasons as the first.
Own an earlier Marlin 95 in 45-70, WITHOUT, an additional tang or side safety that was not included in John Marlin's original design. (Avoid lever-action rifles with "extra" safeties). Most dangerous bears on the prod just may require a fast second shot; hence, a lever action rifle. Elmer Keith aptly stated that dangerous game becomes really dangerous when at close range.
Bolt action rifles like a pre-64 Model 70 in both 338-06 and 35 Whelen as I own will work, but I prefer the Model 71s or an original 1920s 1886 in 45-70.
In Alaska, Canada or the Inter-mountain West, bears may be just around the trail. Be prepared.

Even a single action Ruger BH stoked with warm 270-300 gr bullets -is nothing to sneeze at when facing down an irate bear. You just might pick it up and carry it on a belt to back-up that can of EPA-approved bear spray.
Stick it in a back pack if on Crown land or National Parks/ National Forest. Not as accessible, but it beats listening to the vegans croaking "he's got a gun!". But glad to have you save their lives in a bear emergency
like what happened in 1967 to two female campers (Park employees) dragged out of their sleeping bags in Glacier National Park.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I killed my one and only brown bear with a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H, but next time gonna bring the big bore. My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, just in case I run into something like this ... (from the last of the great brown bear men)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if a bear is going charge you i just don`t see a person has time to go get a rifle or shotgun from shore ,i also don`t see how a huge pistol can be handled as easy and if you have only 2 , 3, 4 seconds you better be able to draw and shoot accurately and if your knock down by a bear hopefully you can still have a handgun to shoot a time or two yet ? bears do die very slowly, so you would need a brain or spine shot to anchor that bear and be able to still live . i just got a new carry 357 Mag. revolver 4.2 inch barrel that`s lighter and smaller and a R.H. Left mnt.holster and i plan on practicing a lot drawing and shooting this smaller revolver ,i do plan on using 170 gr. hard lead bullets too. its a Ruger sp 101 nothing fancy but after reading many reviews on different brand revolvers and some brands do have problems Ruger seemed to be a solid brand to use , good quality for the price . good luck and stay safe ,Pete53 >p.s. yes i own plenty big cartridge rifles,shotguns and bigger handguns but they all suck to carry for defense against bears and people.

Last edited by pete53; 01/16/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
szihn: An M1 Garand with 8 round clip weighs 11.4 lbs. You are a better man than I if you can walk around in bear country with that load. Having marched in formation with an M1 on flat terrain in my much younger years my hat's off to you.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I'm hunting I rarely carry a sidearm since my rifle's always with me. If I'm not and I'm in the backcountry, I carry my Springfield V16 in 45 Super

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s interesting following this thread as I have lived at our remote Alaskan homestead situated in what AK F&G classifies as having the densest population of Brown bears in the state, if not the world.

From May through October bears are visible daily and we make a living guiding fishermen and bear hunters.
If you scroll down through the other threads you can see my choice of weapon when guiding bear hunters under
“old Ugly” but for most of the year myself, son and daughter feel perfectly safe carrying S&W M65 .357 revolvers

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 51 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,831
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.