Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Home from a successful deer hunt. We use to just cut the meat off the ribs and throw them in with the burger. The last couple years I have been smoking and baking them. They've turned out really well. I have a crazy notion to make ribs and sauerkraut. Has anybody ever done that or how would do you do it?

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pretty hard to keep them from drying.

Never done it but I would keep the smoke under 175 for two hours and finish in a dutch oven, ribs on a trivet with beer or broth, 200 degrees for 2-3 hours.

Yes on the sauerkraut.

Last edited by HawkI; 10/14/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not with deer but I've done it with elk.

I got them just sorry enough to to fit in the crockpot and coiled them in there until I couldn't fit anymore. Filled 1/3 with water and dumped a bunch of BBQ over them. Cooked on low all day, pull bones out tender when it came out. It was pretty good!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Lon, I do that occasionally, not award winning, but good. I pressure cook the ribs and part of the brisket in a beef broth and your favorite seasonings til the meat is fork tender, layer kraut in pyrex dish, a layer of thick cut onions, ribs on top. Sprinkle paprika or smoked paprika. Oven not too hot, maybe 325 or so, bake until onions are almost mushy, spritz with beer or a little cider vinegar/water mix if the meat looks like it's drying out. We treat beef shortribs about the same, just the seasonings are differrent.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Venison sausage and sauerkraut is a good combo

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My favourite part of any deer or moose are the short ribs. Seared on the grill, and in the crock pot for at least 6 hours, with some beef broth and maybe some tomato sauce. I don't bother removing any silver skin, it all melts and adds flavour. Wish I had known this years ago when I used to grind it all.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kolofardos
My favourite part of any deer or moose are the short ribs. Seared on the grill, and in the crock pot for at least 6 hours, with some beef broth and maybe some tomato sauce. I don't bother removing any silver skin, it all melts and adds flavour. Wish I had known this years ago when I used to grind it all.

Nice buns to go with your ribs.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put then in an InstaPot for about 20 min under pressure and they finish then on the grill to get a good char on them. This way the meat falls of the bone and the char sends it to a new level. Use whatever sauce or spice turns you on.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by kolofardos

Nice buns to go with your ribs.

grin

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Mom makes a deer rib and sauerkraut meal where she boils the deer ribs and some bratwurst sausage links in a pot of beer and adds sliced dill pickles in at some point about halfway through then throws the ribs and links on a grill for a minute to get some color and dry the edges and serves with hot sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and brown gravy that has sliced dill pickles in it. I’ve tried to get the recipe written down but she changes it a little every time and her cook time is always “until it looks right” or cook “until it feels right with a fork”. Or uses different sausage flavors if the meat market has something that looks good.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Put 'em in the smoker with Alderwood for an hour or two, then into the crock pot with Hickory sauce and a couple cans of beer.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Never had luck with em tasted like candle wax🤢

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by papalondog
Home from a successful deer hunt. We use to just cut the meat off the ribs and throw them in with the burger. The last couple years I have been smoking and baking them. They've turned out really well. I have a crazy notion to make ribs and sauerkraut. Has anybody ever done that or how would do you do it?

In a slow cooker with kraut, caraway seeds, a bay leaf, garlic clove, black pepper, and red wine works well.

I was warned, but I am here anyway.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What are short ribs?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 204guy, 160user, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 18,754 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,988
Posts18,540,146
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.