Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As the title states. My son and I were drawn on the Powderhorn WMA. It is in Calhoun County Port O'Connor Texas. East of Corpus Christie.
It seems the main Exotics or Sambar and Axis.
Has anyone hunted or know somebody that has hunted there?
It is a new WMA about 6 years old.

I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by 1911a1; 10/16/23.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never hunted around there
Fished Port O.C. bunches of times, and the
bay and channel.
The only valid advice I can pass on is
DON'T FORGET THE BUG DOPE!
They will carry you off.
Also, there didn't used to be much of an
assortment of decent accommodations
in the area, so you might want to call well
in advance. Most of what few rooms there
was were taken up by people like me fishing.
Good Luck with whatever you're after

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations on drawing that hunt! I have put in every year since that hunt opened and hope to draw it one day. I have not hunted it but have researched it quite a bit. In addition to Sambar which is what I would love to hunt Axis are plentiful. There are also some very nice whitetail. Check out Texasbowhunter.com on the Public Hunting opportunities forum and Texashunting.com Public hunts forum and search for Powderhorn. You can get some good information on hunts other people have done there. Good luck! I'm sure you guys will have a great hunt.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lucky! I've drawn the devils river and palo duro canyon, the Powderhorn is the one I really want.

Did you draw the deer hunt or exotic?

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Lucky! I've drawn the devils river and palo duro canyon, the Powderhorn is the one I really want.

The hunt is for Exotics and of course all the feral hogs you want. I have plenty of hogs around the home place. I'm not wasting my time with those.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

The hunt is for Exotics and of course all the feral hogs you want. I have plenty of hogs around the home place. I'm not wasting my time with those.

Awesome. Good luck! let us know how it goes. I'd love to draw that hunt.....one day!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
There are plenty of hotels now in Port Lavaca 30 minutes away. I use thermacell on our lease down the road and it really works Bob

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure you give some thought to getting an animal out and meat care. Sambar can run well over 500 lbs. They ain't like whitetails.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The unusual thing about Powderhorn I've read is the TPWD will help with retrieval. And I hope they have a cold storage, I don't know about that one. There was cold storage when I hunted a couple of other WMA.

I'm still up in the air about what rifle to use. My easy to tote 270s with 140 Barnes bullets, A 300 Win mag or for grins a 375 H&H.
The 375 would be expensive for it's NIB and I have zero ammo or dies.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My BIL and I hunted there in 2020 on the GDE hunt. My BIL took a nice Sambar. I was in a spot where I didn't see anything. Moved to my BIL's stand on the last morning and saw a Sambar cow but was facing the wrong way and couldn't get turned around fast enough.

I saw tons of animals come in when we were skinning BIL's out. Nice Sambar, axis, and WT. It is really marshy out there but the biologists have a UTV. That would carry a 550 lb sambar with ease. It took four of us to load BIL's sambar and that was after gutting him. My BIL and sister are still eating on that one.

Don't get hung up on staying in one place if you aren't seeing anything.

Did you get drawn for the WMA or the SP? I tried to draw the SP since it was the first year they opened that up.

Let me know if you have any question s and good luck.

Last edited by EIB0879; 10/25/23.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
There was no cold storage when we were there. The skinning rack can back up also.

High shoulder shots on the sambar to keep them from going back in the nasty stuff.

If Daniel Walker is still there he is a great source of info. We called him before we went and he was more than willing to give us info.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You don't need a 375 to drop sambar. My BIL used a 7mm RM and dropped a large bull with one shot. I had a 300 Wby and I was confident that it would handle anything I came across.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wonder how many "Powderhorn" peaks, creeks, drainages, and gun shops there are W of the Mississippi? Same for "Ramshorn".

Last edited by horse1; 10/25/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.