Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A Win Classic Stainless 375 H&H damn near jumped off the used gun-rack at Scheels today and right into my hands.

Serial number: G69712X, any ideas on the date of manufacture?

Looks like someone fired a few rounds and put it away, scopes never been mounted. VG/Excellent condition for 700.00.

So I'm guessing they gave some sucker 400-500.00 for it. Looks like the last one on GB sold for 1700+.

Was just eyeing up a Water Buffalo hunt, might have to make that happen now....

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Did you stop on the way home to buy a lottery ticket or scratch off?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 69sportfury

That serial number doesn’t exist for a classic stainless; check is again - or you may have fat fingered that first 6.

Nice score btw.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

That serial number doesn’t exist for a classic stainless; check is again - or you may have fat fingered that first 6.

Nice score btw.

You're correct - G9712x

Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Call BACO - they'll tell you the month it was shipped from the factory.

My guess is it's from 1994.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Nice score btw.

You're correct - G9712x

Thanks
👍

As Brad said, should be ‘94 (ish).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Nice score btw.

You're correct - G9712x

Thanks
👍

As Brad said, should be ‘94 (ish).

First a note to the OP……congratulations, you have absolutely stolen one of the finest rifles ever produced and in one of the best, most useful cartridges ever offered!

I have a couple of questions, based on my very limited knowledge! Doesn’t the use of Classic in the description mean it’s a controlled round feed? And, did Winchester offer the Classic as early as ‘94? memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/07/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Classic action was re-introduced in '92 and yes, it was the reintroduction of the controlled round feed.

I bought a Classic Select - Wood/Stainless (believe that's what it was in '94 or '95 in 30-06). Loved the rifle, but it sat un-touched for years and sold it just pre-covid. Wishing I still had it now.

Probably regardless of caliber I would have bought this one yesterday at the price I paid. Really have no real use for a 375 H&H, but have always kinda wanted one and was on the hunt for one pretty hard for a few years at a good price.

I was just commenting to my buddy I was with yesterday that I was regretting selling the last 338 win mag and the next stop this caught my eye right away.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
If you ever wana double/triple your money I’m your guy! 2296462837

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Any stainless Classic is worth a lot more than you paid for that one.

Nice snag.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My go to rifle is my Classic Stainless 7mmRemmy. I bought it used about 1995 or so from Capital Sports in Helena, MT. I picked up a McMillan Winlite stock off this forum years ago and replaced the tupperware. I camo'd it 15 years ago. Probably shouldn't have but I like it. Shoots great. Last hunting rifle I would sell.

My serial number is G40807 and I paid $400 for it.

Regards,

Tom

Regards,

Tom
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Hell, I would have bought it in a heartbeat as a donor. 7 RM, 264 Win, 257 Wea, 300 Wea, etc,etc. Just a barrel away.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Hell, I would have bought it in a heartbeat as a donor. 7 RM, 264 Win, 257 Wea, 300 Wea, etc,etc. Just a barrel away.

It's always nice when you can find any classic that cheap. The OP's and yours was a bargain, for what they are.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I did not get in on this deal. But I do have a blue and Walnut Classic 7RM in the safe in very near new condition. It is still waiting to go to PacNor for a 264 tube. It was about $700 on GB. The blue ones come up pretty often.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I did not get in on this deal. But I do have a blue and Walnut Classic 7RM in the safe in very near new condition. It is still waiting to go to PacNor for a 264 tube. It was about $700 on GB. The blue ones come up pretty often.

Nothing wrong with the blued models. Some are pretty sweet. Especially if you find one with a nice walnut stock. A lot that I run across have the factory tupperware. Those aren't even that bad, but nothing like your winlite stock. The tupperware is generally heavy and really need to be glass bedded. After freefloating them, the forend is flimsy, but that can all be fixed. I bought a 7mm rem mag last year for $500 with a scope. Sold the scope right after for $150.00. That rifle is a 5 digit classic and it shoots very well. There are some great deals out there right now though. I recently found a classic compact 243 win that is in like new condition for $599. Those are the kind of deals I look for..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I bought this 7RM Classic and a pushfeed 7RM XTR at the same time. The pushfeed as a gift for my Son. The XTR has a pretty nice stock. My Classic is very straight grained and more plain.

I have to admit that I was tempted to swap the stocks before handing the XTR over. But I resisted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks like there are two guys from the Treasure Valley on this thread, both with Classic M70's LOL....

Regards,

Tom
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tominboise
It looks like there are two guys from the Treasure Valley on this thread, both with Classic M70's LOL....

You guys have good taste in rifles.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Actually, at least one of us has two.

I bought a blued and walnut 26 inch 264 Classic the first time I laid eyes on one, almost thirty years ago. It has had the stock broken, replaced (my 12 year old Son got it between a tree and his cow pony on a elk hunt in North Unit 32.) with a Midway laminate, a new 27 inch PacNor Varmint weight 27 inch barrel ten years ago, said barrel recently turned down to factory magnum weight, and bedded back into a Winchester factory stock off of GB.

And now I have recently purchased this 7RM, so I can start butchering it as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, at least one of us has two.

I bought a blued and walnut 26 inch 264 Classic the first time I laid eyes on one, almost thirty years ago. It has had the stock broken, replaced (my 12 year old Son got it between a tree and his cow pony on a elk hunt in North Unit 32.) with a Midway laminate, a new 27 inch PacNor Varmint weight 27 inch barrel ten years ago, said barrel recently turned down to factory magnum weight, and bedded back into a Winchester factory stock off of GB.

And now I have recently purchased this 7RM, so I can start butchering it as well.

They sound great. I also have a pair - the aforementioned Stainless 7RM with the Winlite stock, and a semi custom blued version in 270. It has a Rock Creek fluted barrel, Cerakote and I believe a Brown Precision Kevlar stock. It was built on the 'fire here by a member known as Bxroads, whom I bought it from. They are both great rifles. Edit: I found the original ad in the classifieds:

Model 70

Last edited by tominboise; 10/16/23. Reason: Added Link

Regards,

Tom
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.