Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What is the one piece of information or question you may have for anything Savage?
The factory(s)?
Arthur or other people?
1899/99, pistol, .22 or other data?
Other?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Stock carver(s)

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WTF were they thinking when they created the 22 Savage HiPower?

I know literally what they were trying to do, but WTF were they thinking?

LOL

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One piece of info?

That's so hard to pin down... I can do 2 off the top of my head. Not sure I can choose between the two, and could probably think of another 50 given time. grin

1) Why did Marlin stop makng 1895's after 5000 rifles?
2) Why was Arthur let go?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Stock carver(s)
We are pretty certain W.I King did ~1899-1911. He may have carved extras for later use. Carving was not limited to 1 person, there were others. Documentation is slim.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
LOL
It was a collaboration. Charles Newton created one of the first successful attempts at creating a truly small-bore high-pressure cartridge. Savage jumped on board.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
One piece of info?

That's so hard to pin down... I can do 2 off the top of my head. Not sure I can choose between the two, and could probably think of another 50 given time. grin

1) Why did Marlin stop makng 1895's after 5000 rifles?
2) Why was Arthur let go?
1 piece? Gotta start somewhere. Agree, dozens of questions.
We've read different things. No one knows exactly what the Marlin contract called for. Or if it was breeched for whatever reason.
Arthur was a wanderlust. As I understand it he had already moved to Duarte, CA seeking citrus fruit, gold mines and probably more. Meanwhile he was still under contract with Savage and on payroll from afar. I suspect Savage management felt like they weren't getting much for the money and discontinued the relationship.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think the evidence points to the Marlin contract being for 5,000 rifles and up to at least 10,000. Marlin chose to end it after 5,000. Were they selling too well? Made Marlin nervous, or just demanding too much of their employee's time? Or did Arthur tick them off somehow?

And Arthur didn't move until after being let go from Savage. I don't think he had any plans on moving out in the short term, as evidenced by the fact he still owed several months of rent on the home they were living in. He also didn't leave Savage Arms of his own accord.. he was pushed out. I think that's pretty clear from the announcement published in magazines. Might be they caught him doing gun designs for other companies? Maybe just a class of strong willed egos and he lost? Love to know.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We call it the 99 RT, but why did Savage make them? Was it a special order? We know most of them have discontinued barrels, but if they were just using up parts, why the different forearm? New version of the 99 R that was never cataloged? (RTs in 30-30 and 303 don’t support this theory.) Other ideas?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Im with Jaaack, the RT is an interesting topic, odd there is no factory info on this variant. I like them cuz they resemble the T”, and the forearm shape.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always figured, from this vantage point and time that Marlin was helping Savage get up and running and that they were just supportive of them when they were starting out . Their rifles
, of course, clearly exhibit Marlin characteristics, like the Rocky Mntn. front sight blade , rear sight and the early pistol grip stocks.

Last edited by Malcolm; 10/18/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The RT does present a conundrum... confused

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Originally Posted by Fireball2
LOL
It was a collaboration. Charles Newton created one of the first successful attempts at creating a truly small-bore high-pressure cartridge. Savage jumped on board.

25 caliber was the small bore centerfire of the time. mr. Newton (- "The Father of High Velocity") had his hand in the development the 250-3000 ("...fastest cartridge in the world!"), and obviously "had the (burning) need for speed". Scaling down the size of the bore (still) seems like a very logical way to achieve more speed, so a .228 bore size introduced lightening-class speed into the new world of smokeless gunpowder!

What a time to be a shooter!

Chas. Newton's connection with Arthur Savage is why that prototype model 1920 long action chamberedin 256 Newton is so intriguing. I can only imagine Mr. Savage must have been a bit of a speed freak himself, (Savage tires?) , and what exactly was Newton's "Leverbolt rifle" (a straight-pull bolt action), and maybe co-op marketing for some sort of unique hammerless leveraction??

Last edited by JeffG; 10/19/23.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by svg250
Im with Jaaack, the RT is an interesting topic, odd there is no factory info on this variant. I like them cuz they resemble the T”, and the forearm shape.

How about just the "T"? Their short barrels were not such a grand departure, carbines had already been widely accepted for their handiness. But the slender barrels with beaver-tail forearms? That was a whole new thing, maybe geared to the smaller-faster cartridge designs?

Last edited by JeffG; 10/19/23.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've kind of wondered why Savage didn't introduce thier own larger bore cartridge in the earlier goings of the 1899/99. They were still reasonably popular at the time, and they chambered 38-55. Something along the lines of 35/303 or 35/300?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To be candid, I believe alot of my beef with the 22HP came from a messed up set of lyman dies. Between the dies and the European gun/Savage lever gun interface, it was a disaster. New dies corrected some of the issues.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some good questions guys.
It appears the rifle known as RT garners interest due to the fact it is unique and not cataloged.
Probably deserves its own thread.
Anyone have data on RT's? s.n. range etc.
I would be interested in analyzing the data.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is there a compilation of names of Savage company officers with dates when they held positions?

Bailey Brower was once putting together one but have not yet located it in his notebooks.

"Too often people do not recognize Opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work." Thomas Alva Edison
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kinda sorta.. I've got copies of some. Never been published, was wondering whether to include it in my bigger book.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am in Iowa, Mom is in the hospital. When I go I’ll see if I can find and share what Bailey had. I recall he had Roe Clark put together some information.

"Too often people do not recognize Opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work." Thomas Alva Edison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why didn't savage introduce a few more new caliber's in the 99 ? a .270-08 a .323 or .338 ??
A few may have gone a long way to help sales along

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Other...

I am fan(atic?) of the 32-20. All the power I need for the for the hunting available to me locally.

If the 1893 prototype were put on the market, I would be a contender.

The stuff dreams are made of...

An armed society is a polite society.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.