Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I highly doubt the cylinders rusted unless there was a hole in a the exhaust manifold where water got in.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ldholton
I'm remembering ford jubilee we had when I was a kid being an 8-volt system... , been many years so I'm not positive..
Lots of 8 volt batteries were used on 6 volt systems to give the starter a little extra boost on cold mornings. I used an 8 volt in the 54 Chevy 1 1/4 ton, and in the 8N until the generator quit.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
8N production began in 1948 (that's where the 8 comes from). The 9N started production in 1939, and the 3N (1943) was a simplified wartime production version of the same tractor. 8N has a 4 speed transmission- - - -9N and 3N are 3 speed.

Jack up one rear wheel, put the transmission in 4th. gear, and attach an 8 foot 2 X 4 to the wheel with ratchet straps. Rock the wheel back and forth until the rusty piston rings break free. Next time you store the tractor for an extended period of time, cover the intake and exhaust with several layers of plastic and duct tape it into place to keep humidity from getting into the cylinders with valves open and rusting the rings to the cylinder walls. No matter where an engine stops, a few valves will be open, and the best way to keep moisture out is to plug up the intake and exhaust.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
He said it was under a cover.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
step 1... blow all the water out of the cylinders with compressed air... step 2... apply plenty of penetrant to cylinders and let soak overnight... step 3... get on the ring gear teeth with a prybar and carefully work back & forth to get it loose (dont break a tooth off!)... if that doesn't do it, yer phuqked!...

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I'm remembering ford jubilee we had when I was a kid being an 8-volt system... , been many years so I'm not positive..

Haha!

Battery pun.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I doubt it's the motor actually locked up. I would be looking at the starter / solenoid system.
This. Love my 8N, but converting it was the very best decision I’ve made in the last 25 years. She is a fire breathing dragon now.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Put in in 4th gear and pull it with your truck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
I doubt it's the motor actually locked up. I would be looking at the starter / solenoid system.

I didn't think it would be - I haven't taken the starter off yet but I was going straight to the starter bypassing the solenoid. It would make a noise like it was trying to engage. Then I started reading about these guys who had them lock up after sitting awhile - admittedly not for 10 months, usually in terms of years.

I don't have time to mess with it now, I just went out to bump to check the battery and then that led me down the rabbit hole. I'll let M.M.O do its job for a few days.

I'll put the starter next weekend. I checked online and damn, those thing are $117 a pop for the cheap chinese crap
I would only assume the worst - piston lock - after properly (gently) trying to turn it and making sure it is not a starter issue. Simple/cheap to rebuild the starter and bench test - and engagement mech can't be very complicated either. Have some fun and learn a little bit while solving it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
8N production began in 1948 (that's where the 8 comes from). The 9N started production in 1939, and the 3N (1943) was a simplified wartime production version of the same tractor. 8N has a 4 speed transmission- - - -9N and 3N are 3 speed. .

Are you sure you don't mean 2N?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good thread!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KFWA;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that other than a bit of a vintage tractor puzzle that life's been going more than less your way and that you're well.

You've received a bunch of good suggestions thus far and I'll attempt not to repeat too many, but if it was here and it was me - as they say...

For sure the plugs would get pulled and the cylinders would be doused with Deep Creep as I've been really pleased with it over the decades for getting the stuck things in life unstuck.

Unless I'm missing something and I surely could be, if we try to spin the engine from the back tire or PTO, we'll be going through the clutch at least and the rear end and axles too.

That might be okay and might be less so, but again if it was here and it was my task to tackle, I'd pull any accessory belts off the front of the crank end, put an impact socket on the balancer as suggested by 6555 and see what a breaker bar will do rocking it back and forth.

I'd have to think that's the most direct way to get a "feel" for what's going on with the crank and pistons.

Anyways sir, many roads to Mecca and all that so regardless of how you do it, I'd be interested to learn what the malady was and what method you use to rectify it.

All the best with this and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
this thread is why I liked coming here

people know some stuff here

I'm always learning

Last edited by KFWA; 10/22/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
this thread is why I liked coming here

people know some stuff here

I'm always learning

Yup.

Had a few threads like this myself over the years. Really cool

MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
The old school 6V systems need to be run on occasion. Have a 1952 Harry Ferguson that needs a really fresh battery to start. Fog the cylinders prior to storing. I drain the fuel tank and carb bowl also. After all these years it will start with a good battery. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You don’t need a tractor.

Sell it to somebody that does.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They make great yard ornaments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be cautious about torquing on the balancer, I've seen that go bad.
Maybe it was my gorilla back, over powering the monkey brain.
But when she don't move, you pull harder.
Those bolts aren't as tough as you might think!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
You don’t need a tractor.

Sell it to somebody that does.

Pard I wonder if he has a hay baler to go with it?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainshot
They make great yard ornaments.
Wouldn't want somebody knowing I had one.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,459
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.