Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
I enjoyed my time with the Mashburn.
It was a fun project.
I'm a 280 AI guy at heart.
Ha.
Scottys got me talked into the 28 for deer this year....
dave

You almost make me wanna try the Mashburn, just to see what happens..

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just don't use a Berger hunting bullet.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by dave7mm
I enjoyed my time with the Mashburn.
It was a fun project.
I'm a 280 AI guy at heart.
Ha.
Scottys got me talked into the 28 for deer this year....
dave

You almost make me wanna try the Mashburn, just to see what happens..

You know what will happen, pull the trigger and critters will die. Meat in the freezer.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I preach interlock. Like the eldx. Alot. Berger has never failed me either. Wouldn't hesitate to load one in a 7. Dang it, now I want a mashburn....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Coyote10
How many rounds have you fired through a 7 PRC?

Zero. Cause I don't buy into hype. I KNOW a 7 RM is just as good. I roll my own and can't see the need for another cartridge that does the same thing.

Some people just can't be "for" something without being "against" something... a sad truth.

Let's not get carried away, the 7mm RM is a great cartridge, the PRC is simply better. Just like the worst Ford or Chevy is better than the best Dodge!

Let's not confuse "need" with "want", two entirely distinct and unrelated issues. If I could only hunt with my 7mm RM the rest of my life, I would not feel disadvantaged but that doesn't stop my from entertaining myself with new options. .55" first outing, factory fodder.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

What scope mounts are those and how do you like them?[/quote]

They are ARC: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024428347?pid=486103

I like them a lot, have three sets, ordering another today. They are expensive but most good pic rings are $100+ these days so it just a little extra. Solid as a bank vault, incredibly simply and easy to install.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Zero. Cause I don't buy into hype. I KNOW a 7 RM is just as good. I roll my own and can't see the need for another cartridge that does the same thing.

Some people just can't be "for" something without being "against" something... a sad truth.

Let's not get carried away, the 7mm RM is a great cartridge, the PRC is simply better. Just like the worst Ford or Chevy is better than the best Dodge!

Let's not confuse "need" with "want", two entirely distinct and unrelated issues. If I could only hunt with my 7mm RM the rest of my life, I would not feel disadvantaged but that doesn't stop my from entertaining myself with new options. .55" first outing, factory fodder.

I didn't say what you quoted...

My apologies Brad!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would be very content to hunt with a 280 stoked with 160 Nosler Partitions but the 7 PRC is just easier for me, ammo and pre-fit barrels easy to come by...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 280 rem with 162 eldxs is what I grab right now, doubt the new will wear off this one!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I didn't say what you quoted...

My apologies Brad!

No problem, just wanted to be clear I'm not a reactionary old fart! smile

Aside, if I wanted a 7 Mag (which I don't), I'd dive in with the 7 PRC.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The more money I spend on rifles (I'm culling the herd to finance new spending) the more I want to enjoy shooting them and with age, I find little enjoyment in recoil. The 7 PRC turns out to be very easy to shoot without much punishment, 22" barrel with a suppresser. My last three builds were 308, 6.5 CM and the 7 PRC and I enjoy shooting them all, the CM the most.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The more money I spend on rifles (I'm culling the herd to finance new spending) the more I want to enjoy shooting them and with age, I find little enjoyment in recoil. The 7 PRC turns out to be very easy to shoot without much punishment, 22" barrel with a suppresser. My last three builds were 308, 6.5 CM and the 7 PRC and I enjoy shooting them all, the CM the most.

I'm down to three 308's, two 6.5 CM's, a 257 Rob and 270 Win, so I'm pretty squarely in your camp. I sold-off my last magnum, a 300 WSM, about 6 years ago, and have no plans to ever acquire another. When I first moved to Montana I was fairly certain a 22" bbl'd 338 WM was ideal for elk, and it probably is. I killed elk with it, but I saw my friends having the same results with stuff like the 270 Win, so I slowly made the change to cartridges like the 30-06, 308, 7-08 and 270. And, no surprise, they killed elk as dead as my 338 WM's and 300 WSM's, but were far more fun to shoot, and could be built far lighter.

Were I interested in LR elk killing I'd probably build a 6.5 PRC on a lightweight platform, or a suppressed 7mm PRC. But, practically speaking, I still don't believe they have anything over a plain-jane 270 Win inside 500 yards, and I have no interest shooting game at that sort of range anyway.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well guys the 160gr CX that killed this deer was going all of my chrono'd 2,904fps because he was actually a tad closer to me than the chronograph was. Still-hunting some thick stuff, saw him at 25yds trotting. Shot him at 15yds quartering away, one shot, took out half the heart and made the off-side shoulder into a bag of bones and exited. He didn't make it 10yds and piled up. Might be the shortest shot on game for the 7PRC as a cartridge to date! laugh Love my new short range woods gun!

[Linked Image]

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A beautiful Vermont buck!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks, Brad!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Well guys the 160gr CX that killed this deer was going all of my chrono'd 2,904fps because he was actually a tad closer to me than the chronograph was. Still-hunting some thick stuff, saw him at 25yds trotting. Shot him at 15yds quartering away, one shot, took out half the heart and made the off-side shoulder into a bag of bones and exited. He didn't make it 10yds and piled up. Might be the shortest shot on game for the 7PRC as a cartridge to date! laugh Love my new short range woods gun!

[Linked Image]

Dandy buck, and a good looking rifle too!

Your rifle looks nice and trim, and pretty light.

Seems like you've got it loaded pretty light too. Is that for accuracy, or for recoil management?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice buck!

Specs on that rifle?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

[Linked Image]

Boy, that is cooler than the other side of the pillow! What a great VT buck and happy as heck that your rifle has counted coup!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the kind words!

WhelenAway and bwinters,

The load is the Hornady Outfitter with the monolithic CX bullet. It's actually kind of heavy for a .284 copper bullet. It is sub MOA in this rifle. The recoil must be somewhat less than the 175/180 gr loads but, not so much that I notice it.

The rifle is a Colt Light Rifle that Outkast Arms gave the NULA treatment. The Colt Light Rifle was based on the NULA 28 which was a medium magnum action. Basically, the only things original are the action, recoil lug, and bolt, though they replace the firing pin spring. New mag box, spring and follower, Timney trigger that locks the bolt on safe, NULA style stock, Douglas stainless barrel, the donor was a .270 so they opened the boltface, drilled and tapped for 8-40 scope base screws, and bent the bolt handle to clear the ocular on a low mounted scope with a big Euro ocular. You don't have to do all that but I did. Bare rifle weighs 5.98 lbs. As you see it in the picture - scoped, slung and fully loaded it's 7.56 lbs. That's with a 24" #2 contour barrel.

The main compromises are that it holds two in the mag not three, and the OAL in the mag is short for a long action at 3.34".

My main worries were close range terminal performance - I'm used to 180 gr round-nosed Corelokts from an 18 1/2" barreled .30-06 - much slower and right where you want a cup and core at close range. The CX laid those concerns to rest. And also, the more barrel heavy balance. The shot was not a see/hear him at 30 yds when he's already banging-through-gears-for-the-next-county quick but, it was quick enough for any issues to be apparent. It was all magic. The rifle disappears, you look where you want the bullet to go and there's the reticle. FAST. The reticle felt more planted and glued than I'm used to but, otherwise just as quick. I was told about this on here but only half believed it. I've always been more of an ergonomics guy than a ballistics guy and when that magic combination of stock fit, weight, balance, scope height, magnification, eye-box, and trigger all works together, I get a little misty eyed. I love talking about this rifle, my fingers aren't tired and I'm not prideful, but I'll stop there.

Anywho, there's the specs and a bit more.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like a tailor made rifle for you and you should be darned proud. It’s a helluva good set up.

Semper Fi
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 1234, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,803
Posts18,477,480
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.