Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And past 450 or 500, it's all in the scope. Energy is there. Dial and let it eat. .284 caliber downrange is a .284 caliber downrange in those 2 cartridges.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting posts, folks. I am surprised at the low velocities folks have reported with the 7 PRC and 175s. Factory 175 TGK loads for the 6.8 Western are spec'ed at 2830', and I easily get 2850' in my 1:8 270 WSM with the 175 TGK - probably leaving 75 FPS on the table but it shoots great at that speed. I got a bit spooked by those types of velocities in the short case (basically the same as 7 RM published max loads with the 175) until I reconsidered the 7RM is a 60K SAAMI cartridge - lots of headroom with that round for handloaders. So comparing the 63K PSI 7PRC to the 60K PSI 7RM isn't really fair. Not sure if that point's been made so far in this thread. Handloaders can load both the same pressure and there won't be much difference - twist and throats being equal.
The "bullet shank below the neck" talk happens with the 6.8W / 270WSM crowd too, and I admit I don't get it at all. The further forward shoulder just means more case capacity, as long as the ogive doesn't get too close to the case mouth. The 270WSM has a 16% case capacity increase over the 6.8W (water to the case mouths) and a 20% increase to fill the case under a 175 TGK seated to OAL. This in identical actions - why not use the bigger case? Haven't compared the capacities of the 7PRC and the 7RM - anybody know?

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
How many rounds have you fired through a 7 PRC?

Zero. Cause I don't buy into hype. I KNOW a 7 RM is just as good. I roll my own and can't see the need for another cartridge that does the same thing.

Some people just can't be "for" something without being "against" something... a sad truth.

Last edited by Brad; 10/31/23.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Interesting posts, folks. I am surprised at the low velocities folks have reported with the 7 PRC and 175s. Factory 175 TGK loads for the 6.8 Western are spec'ed at 2830', and I easily get 2850' in my 1:8 270 WSM with the 175 TGK - probably leaving 75 FPS on the table but it shoots great at that speed. I got a bit spooked by those types of velocities in the short case (basically the same as 7 RM published max loads with the 175) until I reconsidered the 7RM is a 60K SAAMI cartridge - lots of headroom with that round for handloaders. So comparing the 63K PSI 7PRC to the 60K PSI 7RM isn't really fair. Not sure if that point's been made so far in this thread. Handloaders can load both the same pressure and there won't be much difference - twist and throats being equal.
The "bullet shank below the neck" talk happens with the 6.8W / 270WSM crowd too, and I admit I don't get it at all. The further forward shoulder just means more case capacity, as long as the ogive doesn't get too close to the case mouth. The 270WSM has a 16% case capacity increase over the 6.8W (water to the case mouths) and a 20% increase to fill the case under a 175 TGK seated to OAL. This in identical actions - why not use the bigger case? Haven't compared the capacities of the 7PRC and the 7RM - anybody know?

Cheers,
Rex

Rex, solid points, case capacity RM = 85 gr H2O, PRC 82

Good article: https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/handloading-the-7mm-prc/470401

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad

Zero. Cause I don't buy into hype. I KNOW a 7 RM is just as good. I roll my own and can't see the need for another cartridge that does the same thing.

Some people just can't be "for" something without being "against" something... a sad truth.[/quote]

Let's not get carried away, the 7mm RM is a great cartridge, the PRC is simply better. Just like the worst Ford or Chevy is better than the best Dodge!

Let's not confuse "need" with "want", two entirely distinct and unrelated issues. If I could only hunt with my 7mm RM the rest of my life, I would not feel disadvantaged but that doesn't stop my from entertaining myself with new options. .55" first outing, factory fodder.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 10/31/23.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I ain't against nothing. If I wanted more that a 7 rem, I'd grab a RUM, which I did. I just think it doesn't offer a whole lot more than the rem mag.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
People also seem to forget that a million years ago, Roy came up with a 7mm Wby. Roll your own with a fast twist barrel and it'll blow your hair back. Shoot premium wby ammo and the 10 twist will stabilize a 160ish grainer and smoke both.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pretty funny that a 7 wby is the same cartridge when you pull the trigger isn't it? Could have at least used an attractive woman, sheesh.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a couple Wby chambered rifles, Win 70s in 240 and 257 Wby, I liked the rifles, didn't like expensive and generally unavailable ammo. Wby loads hot, you have to really pay attention if you're going "roll your own" and meet or beat factory velocities.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Some people just can't be "for" something without being "against" something... a sad truth.

I hear that. Bob taught me to build 1-8 7 Rems and Mashburns with 3.6" mag boxes years ago, with good throats suited to the bullets you wanna use. To me, the new PRC is a great cartridge, but it's nothing we haven't been doing for a handful of years now. Granted, being able to buy boxed 175's is a good deal for sure for a fella like 257, his points are valid there.

Don't get me wrong, there aren't many cartridges that I don't enjoy for one reason or the other, but nothing created or is likely going to be created that makes me wanna build something different than a Mashburn or Rem Mag, as long as quality cases exist. I'd rather have a less desirable cartridge with somewhat available, GREAT brass than the opposite.

Last edited by beretzs; 10/31/23.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Let's not get carried away, the 7mm RM is a great cartridge, the PRC is simply better. Just like the worst Ford or Chevy is better than the best Dodge!

Let's not confuse "need" with "want", two entirely distinct and unrelated issues. If I could only hunt with my 7mm RM the rest of my life, I would not feel disadvantaged but that doesn't stop my from entertaining myself with new options. .55" first outing, factory fodder.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][/quote]

What scope mounts are those and how do you like them?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
I'd rather have a less desirable cartridge with somewhat available, GREAT brass than the opposite.
You mean, like a 28 Nosler?

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
I'd rather have a less desirable cartridge with somewhat available, GREAT brass than the opposite.

dave

If I laid into ADG I'd be A-Ok with that too Dave. Heck, the 28 came out the same week my first Mashburn was getting built. If it were a week earlier I may be singing your song which aint a bad song whistle

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

dave

If I laid into ADG I'd be A-Ok with that too Dave. Heck, the 28 came out the same week my first Mashburn was getting built. If it were a week earlier I may be singing your song which aint a bad song whistle

28 nolser's a good one!

Still favor the the rem mag, but a 28 nosler is the cream of the crop. Scotty's mashburn may the best of the 7s in my book and is the logical answer to a build. 6 one way, half a dozen the other

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Alot of people pan Nosler brass.
Didn't say you did.
I used Nosler 300 SAUM brass for years in 1000 yard matches .
Did very well with it.No issues.
Only did a load development on the 28.
Using Nosler brass.
No issues so far.
dave

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Alot of people pan Nosler brass.
Didn't say you did.
I used Nosler 300 SAUM brass for years in 1000 yard matches .
Did very well with it.No issues.
Only did a load development on the 28.
Using Nosler brass.
No issues so far.
dave

I just didn't like how soft the pockets were. I used it for my cousins load work and it was ok. Knowing ADG is out there, I'd probably try to scrape some up.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed my time with the Mashburn.
It was a fun project.
I'm a 280 AI guy at heart.
Ha.
Scottys got me talked into the 28 for deer this year....
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I ever get the 30 Nosler squared away.
I'll try the ADG on it.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by 257Bob

I didn't say what you quoted...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1moredeer, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 222ND, 54 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,252
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.