Print Thread
Hop To
K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Returned from unsuccessful moose hunt in northern Ontario where we got alot of rain. Jacket, bib pants and had were all 100% water repellant, but two different gloves which claimed to be waterproof weren't. Not even close. Don't want that next year.

Preference is true gloves, not mittens with foldover flap to fingerless gloves underneath.

What gloves work for you in colder weather which are legitimately waterproof and compatible with shooting a rifle (seated from a treestand)? Camo immaterial - need dry & warm.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
In my experience any of the truly comfortable breathable gloves “waterproof” will soak through eventually if they are fairly thin.

Last edited by spence1875; 10/24/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
There are no free passes with gloves it seems. I have been where you were and tried all sorts of gloves. If truly waterPROOF is the need buy insulated chemical gloves and be done with it.

When I guided duck hunts I used xxl's and wore various other lighter weight gloves under them for when I needed dexterity in cold weather. They were great for the boat ride, picking up decoys, driving the buggies, etc.

I always had a had a small hand towel to dry my hands and calls too.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've tried lots of different gloves. The ones that are truly waterproof will not breath and your hands get clammy and then chilled. For treestands the best option is a good muff with hotpacks. Any light glove will work then.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I quit the waterproof gloves and just use the handy Andys. Throw them away at the end of the day.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kuiu makes an outer shell glove that works pretty well, at least they used to, I bought mine a while back. Get them a little big and put a good wool or synthetic glove underneath.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think that glove exists. Waterproof, warm, comfortable are just incompatible goals

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sealskinz gloves have been my go-to for probably 10 years. The pair I have are still serviceable, but just getting ratty enough I'm thinking on buying a new pair.

https://www.sealskinzusa.com/products/waterproof-all-weather-sporting-glove?variant=36556968853670

https://www.sealskinzusa.com/products/waterproof-all-weather-shooting-glove?variant=36556968591526

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
For trapping I wear a pair of rubber gauntlets from trapper supply outlets. Also a good pair of liners inside.
I’ve worn them stand hunting, with the uppers tucked into rain shell sleeves I’ve never gotten wet yet the liners allow them to be slid off easily for trigger work.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I wore Atlas Vinylove 460's on my brown bear hunt. Zero issues in a lot of rain.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If I were dead-set on a stand-alone glove rather than a muff and thinner gloves, I'd probably start here:

Waterproof glove

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They don't make any good ones for hunting.

You can find good gloves that keep you warm. You can find good gloves that keep you dry. You can't find good gloves that keep you warm and dry that are good for hunting.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waterproof gloves wet
you from the inside out

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tzone
They don't make any good ones for hunting.

You can find good gloves that keep you warm. You can find good gloves that keep you dry. You can't find good gloves that keep you warm and dry that are good for hunting.
Pretty much my experience too.

I suspect that if you ever find a true glove that is absolutely dry and warm you won't be able to fit inside the trigger guard and/or won't be able to feel the trigger.

Tried gore-tex lined - they work for an hour or two, but if you take them off for any reason damn liners pull out and they're done.

Tried neoprene in a couple of different weights - so/so - they still get wet but do retain some heat.

Fleece - nope! nowhere near the heat retention of wool when wet.

Knit wool gloves- better than most others - still get wet hands but retain heat better than any other wet gloves I've used - have them in several different weights/thickness. Always have a pair of GI wool liners in a zip-lock bag in daypack as emergency/last resort gloves.

Knit Bison Wool gloves - I have a pair of half finger bison wool gloves that are warmer than my wool half finger gloves. I'd expect full bison wool gloves would be even better but haven't worked up to spending the money - they ain't cheap!

Knit wool glommits - better insulation than just gloves. Have a pair that I use when it gets into colder weather but don't normally use in rain.

Long time ago found a pair of glove that have a knit polypropylene liner, goretex membrane, and knit wool outer layer, and actually fit inside trigger guard. Have never seen anything like them since. They will hold up longer in cold rainy conditions than anything else I've come across, and retain heat when they do wet through. I only use them in absolute worst weather so I don't wear them out too soon. On nasty days they go into my daypack as 2nd or 3rd pair of gloves when the others fail.

Suggest you reconsider glommits (mittens with foldover flap to fingerless gloves underneath). They can be about the best insulation while still having good trigger feel.

Also look into a hand warmer muff. Weigh next to nothing and let you wear lighter gloves while still keeping warm while sitting. But it will still get wet eventually if sitting in the rain, especially if water running down sleeves into the muff!

Final recommendation - pack two of three extra pairs of dry gloves when you go out for the day! (and have a way to dry off your hands before putting on the gloves)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 163bc, 49 invisible), 11,441 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,347
Posts18,546,564
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.