Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Made 35 pounds of venison into corned "beef". Then I pressure canned 20 jars with meat,shredded potatoes and onions for corned beef hash, and 25 jars for regular meals. I like opening a jar to make Reubens or any cornbeef dinners. Delicious!

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sweets
Made 35 pounds of venison into corned "beef". Then I pressure canned 20 jars with meat,shredded potatoes and onions for corned beef hash, and 25 jars for regular meals. I like opening a jar to make Reubens or any cornbeef dinners. Delicious!

That sounds darned good. Never done it.

Recipe?

Semper Fi
S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Cut up meat into approximately 2" cubes. I used 2 food grade buckets to put the meat and brine in. I used 2 batches of brine for the amount I had.

Brine recipe :

1 gallon spring water (no tap/chlorine water)
1 cup pickling salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T pickling spice
4 tsp #1 cure salt(nitrite)
6 cloves of garlic

Heat to dissolve, LET COOL,pour over meat and refrigerate 4-5 days. Put a plate on top of meat and weigh it down to keep meat under brine. Stir everyday.

Last edited by Sweets; 10/25/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Sweets

That sounds darned good. Never done it.

Recipe?

That does sound good.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What's your mix/ratios for the hash? I corn venison every year, never thought to can hash and may just have to try some this year.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Corned game is very tasty. Eileen has done a LOT of deer, but also elk and some water buffalo, from a bull I killed in Texas around 20 years ago.

On St. Patrick's day we had a party, serving both commercial corned beef from the local supermarket, and water buffalo. There were similar amounts of each, and while there was some commercial corned beef left after the party, there wasn't any corned water buffalo....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We corned moose often,,we give a few big roasts to friends and they talk about them for years. It looks like if we take a winter moose a front shoulder is bound for corning.

I tend to use more than enough gun
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My dad did a couple of whole deer hams and I remember them being good.

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
What's your mix/ratios for the hash? I corn venison every year, never thought to can hash and may just have to try some this year.

I use pint jars and put 1/3 cup each of shredded potatoes and onions, then stuffed with meat until 1" headspace.

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Corned game is very tasty. Eileen has done a LOT of deer, but also elk and some water buffalo, from a bull I killed in Texas around 20 years ago.

On St. Patrick's day we had a party, serving both commercial corned beef from the local supermarket, and water buffalo. There were similar amounts of each, and while there was some commercial corned beef left after the party, there wasn't any corned water buffalo....

That sounds awesome

IC B3

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Last year there deer was a big doe so obviously there was more meat. I was able to get a couple nice sized roast. I corned them both. Made one for the holidays and smoked the other in spring and made pastrami. Oh soooooooo good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not corned, but made deer pastrami twice last year, first time ever. Not sure why I waited so long. Have 2 deer in freezer already this year that will be a lot of pastrami. Wife isn’t a huge deer eater, but she put away the Reuben’s.

S
Sweets Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
How do you make your pastrami?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+ 2 on the Pastrami !!

We use the Meateater recipe.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/watch-wild-goose-pastrami-recipe

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ive made it the last two seasons.

Forget where the recipe is from..

Knowing me, first thing that popped up from “easy venison pastrami” 😂😂

I remember putting it in the frig for a week…

Do a batch… eat half… vac and freeze half..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Not corned, but made deer pastrami twice last year, first time ever. Not sure why I waited so long. Have 2 deer in freezer already this year that will be a lot of pastrami. Wife isn’t a huge deer eater, but she put away the Reuben’s.

Dont reubens have sour kraut? ( yick)

Ill eat mine with just spicy mustard and red rind hoop cheese…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

N
N
We always eat our Reubens with coleslaw instead of saurkraut. Very good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.