Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
What do you use to clean lead out of a barrel? "Elbow grease" I know.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hoppes makes brownish goo that upon soaking frees Pb chamber rings from revolver cylinders. One needs to follow directions and work with it outside. The organic smell of this stuff is overwhelming, worse then plastic model plane glue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start by running a few jacketed bullets loads through the gun before you leave the range. Then, Kroil, Ballistol or whatever gun oil, a brass brush with some copper chore boy wrapped around it, and scrub.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the Lewis lead remover still made? Hoppe's may have sold them under their brand for a while. It looks like a brass screen from one of those 70s era head shop pipes with a hole in the middle that fits over a rubber plug & gets pulled thru the bore. Works well. The device is also adjustable for use on forcing cones.

There's always mercury if all else fails.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lead-Away cloth wrapped around a jag to fit the bore tightly will work. I don't know if that's even still available though.

There's another product that works but I cannot recall what it is called. It is a soft metallic material shaped like those foil icecicles we used to hang in Christmas trees. Wrap a bronze brush with a few strands of that stuff and clean like you normally would (Hoppe's No.9 for me).

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Hoppes tornado brushes always work for me... takes some elbow grease, but the the lead comes out.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lewis lead remover. However, experimenting with other cast bullet diameters and lead hardness could reduce your leading situation.

Old guy, old guns.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This:

[img]https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/attachments/image-jpg[/img]

Whoops! Not sure why the picture isn't showing. Oh well, just click on it.

Damn! Clicking on it doesn't work either.

What I'm trying to show an image of is the Lewis Lead Remover Kit. Available at Brownells.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tominboise
Start by running a few jacketed bullets loads through the gun before you leave the range. Then, Kroil, Ballistol or whatever gun oil, a brass brush with some copper chore boy wrapped around it, and scrub.
That right there is the quickest and easiest way - both the jacketed bullets and copper/brass scouring pad.

A standard brass bore brush with a few strands of the scouring pad wrapped around it - it doesn't take much - will pull crumbs of lead out with each pass. Easy peasy, no more elbow grease required than normal cleaning. The pad material will break apart as well, but you use so little of it that one pad will last a very long time.

Not sure which brand I use since I threw the packaging away long ago, but it looks just like this. I cut off about a 2" individual strand and wrap it around the bore brush.

[Linked Image from sc04.alicdn.com]

The Lewis Lead Remover also works very well. I've had one for decades but honestly, strands of copper or brass pad wrapped around a standard bore brush works just as well and is easier to use. If you want to try the Lewis, Brownell's still sells them. You can get the whole shebang for $39.99 or just the working parts for $19.99.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cle...es-mops/lewis-lead-remover-handgun-kits/

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cle...ches-mops/lewis-lead-remover-rifle-kits/ - it says rifle kit but as far as I can see it's just the same handgun kit and you supply the cleaning rod.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The Big 45 pad looks like a coarse scrubbing pad but it’s a metal that is softer than steel. A few strands of it around a bronze brush will pull lead out really quickly and won’t hurt the barrel steel.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A soak in Kroil plus pure copper chore boy wound around a worn bore brush. Make sure you get pure copper (Amazon has it). Most of the grocery store stuff is copper coated steel and you don’t want that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[Linked Image from sc04.alicdn.com]

That's the stuff I was talking about. I'd forgotten what it looks like in the package because I've been using the same bore brushes wrapped with that stuff for any lead removal for many years. I guess they've lasted so long because I've lucked into the right alloy and the right sizing, so leading just isn't much of a problem for me anymore.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the replies. I stopped at the local grocery store and got pure copper a Chore Boy pad. The other ideas will be tried too.
Dave

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pair it with a *good* penetrant soak. It will get under the lead and help lift it off. It is amazing what will come out of a heavily leaded bore. I have a .22 that leaded badly with poor ammo. A brush wouldn’t touch it, but Kroil and the copper chore boy sent curls of lead out of the barrel shaped like rifling. It took a couple rounds of soak and scrub to de-lead the barrel. Thanks Winchester Wildcat.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I use Hoppes #9, Kroil, copper scrub pads wrapped around bore brushes, tornado brushes, lead wipe away clothes, and time.

The Kroil is very good stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shoot jacketed before leaving range + Lewis Lead Removal tool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
Shoot jacketed before leaving range + Lewis Lead Removal tool

Some of us have deep seated prejudices against jacketed handgun bullets. wink

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brass brush and kroil for me.
Jacketed bullets don’t do it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lewis lead remover, been using one for years. I made a flat steel plate to replace the t-handle, put the plate on the floor and stand on it pull the lead remover thru the barrel using the revolver as a handle. Works really well for me especially when using new brass screens that haven't been thru the bore yet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How often do you guys clean for lead? It’s occurred to me that I have some revolvers with hundreds of rounds of cast bullets through them since I’ve last scrubbed with copper. I do occasionally shoot jacketed bullets in them so maybe that works at least some?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.