Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I wish manufacturers would twist their rifles faster too. The Barrett FC short actions are twisted right and have about a 3" mag box. I regret not buying more of them. Their LA models didn't have enough length in the box.

If someone wanted to make a rifle right in my eyes they'd start using stainless actions and barrels. I don't like chomoly steel blued barrels even if cerakoted because they don't coat the bore. I'll consider one if it's nitride. Howa got it backwards and went all blued with a coated option. They should have gone all stainless with a coated or nitride option for those wanting the darker look. I would save time and cut expense reducing model numbers by going all stainless.

I would also go 3" mag box on short actions and 3.9" on long actions. If I did a mini action I'd go 2.6"

I don't see any downside to faster twists so 6mm and 243 would be at least 7.5. I'd do the 223, 22-250, and 22 creed at 7", 25s would be at least 8 twist, 6.5s would be at least 8 maybe 7.5", 7mms would be 8 twist, and I'd go at least 9 twist on 308 cal. Other then poofing a few bullets in flight driving very soft skin stuff very fast I've never had a time where I felt I had too much twist. The ones I saw come apart were with a fast twist 3 groove with a rough worn throat driving soft bullets very fast. There is no downside to faster twist as I see it. You older curmudgeon can still shoot round noses through a fast twist and still not shoot game past 200 yards if you want.

I'd drill it for mounts just like Barrett did for fieldcrafts. I'd use a pad that's soft and effective and doesn't feel like it was cut from a trucks retread, and I'd put triggertech triggers in all of them.

I just cannot understand why anyone these days would still do 10 twist 243's or 308s with an 11.25. Really how hard is it to just order faster twist barrels? Those who shoot a lot will be way more likely to buy an 8 twist 243 that a 10 twist. And those who think 10 is great probably won't even look what twist it is anyways because they are not into shooting enough to really care.

Varmint bullets splat things better with a faster twist anyways. I built a 243 nearly 20 years ago with an 8 twist brux when brux was pretty new. I had to build to get one twisted for 105 amaxes and vlds I wanted to use. That same rifle also shoots 55g ballistic tips at 4000 fps and gets 1/2" groups. It turns rock chucks into a red mist with 55s and can still go long with 105s.

So Bb rifles would be stainless, long mag boxes, fast twists, solid mount set up, good pad, and triggertech. Also all stocks would be stiff so when floated they stay floated weather Tupperware, carbon, fiberglass, or wood. No flexing for ends allowed.

After being a marketing director for 14 years I've learned not to go off your own assumptions. Survey the respected people in the industry, listen to those that others listen to, talk to the mavens. Some people don't like sticks style but if I was in the industry I'd be listen to guys like him. I took the company I worked for from being ranked 37th in their segment as a brand to number 1 in 7 years. I did it not by doing general surveys of the ignorant masses only but by listening to the most respected people out there, the ones others knew were the top of that field. The masses don't know what they want until the experts tell them and explain it.

Bb
+1

Great post.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BWilson
We are already integrating 1-10 twist .308s into the std production so both 1-10 and 1-11.25 will be options and the next run of .243 barrels will be 1-9 twist and this will be the new standard.

I will put the accuracy of our rifles up against any original Melvin built gun, they all shoot great or they don't ship.

The guys just built me a 7mm08 and it shoots GREAT!!! Weighs 6# 10.7oz unloaded with a 19oz scope/rings on it.

Just my "personal" opinion, but some of the posters on this forum should take a "hint" from the Texas Hunting Forum and be nice people !!!
Keep up the good work!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Not that he needs it , but I am on Mr Wilson’s side. Hope you continue to do well and thanks for keeping us posted…Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
What is not to like about an inside release hinged floorplate?

Weight, I'd rather that weight be spent either full-length bedding the bbl'd action, or, not be there at all if you're going to float. Lots more area to get inletting wrong and create flex/pressure in the stock. The possibility of an involuntary and heartily unwanted mag-dump. I'd never done that, ever, until I did, then, it sucked. The mag-dump didn't cost me the critter, but it made things a bit sportier for a few seconds. I've converted multiple M70's, M700's, and a couple Kimber 84's over to blind magazines as I prefer them.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We are already integrating 1-10 twist .308s into the std production so both 1-10 and 1-11.25 will be options and the next run of .243 barrels will be 1-9 twist and this will be the new standard.
Strange choice. The 11.25 twist 308s will fully stabilize 185 Juggernauts, so not really necessary to go faster there, though it's certainly not a problem to have a bit more twist. But the 1-9 twist 243 doesn't gain much over the 10. Neither 10 nor 9 will fully stabilize a bunch of the commonly shot bullets, such as 108 ELDMs. Really need an 8 twist there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As a new manufacturer of bolt action rifles the Barrett Fieldcraft was done very right. Especially taking into account cartridge length, bullet technology, barrel lengths, portability/weight, and overall craftsmanship. I was expecting a similar attempt from Wilson Combat, especially considering all of Melvin’s marvelous history, but that’s not the case. Not dissing on Wilson, I’m sure they’re a very good product, however a few things on their new bolt guns going into year 2024 are a bit of a head scratcher for me. Again knowing the type of work Wilson has produced in the past, it’s not what I expected in terms of their ability to produce a cutting edge product similar to the Barrett Fieldcraft.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven’t read this whole thread, or have an opinion either way on the new FCs or whatever they’re called now.

What I just don’t understand though, is why companies don’t put out what, in my opinion(gathered from many different forums/ranges/friends,etc), would sell like crazy.

I mean, how fast would a .223 Montana, 7 or 8 twist, FLY off the shelves? Same with a 700 along the Mtn guide style…stainless, twisted right for todays bullets and dropped into a Ti or similar stock???

How many of you would buy a Mtn Guide or Montana in .22 Creed, twisted correctly?

(Edited to add to the above and not absurdly priced.)

When Barret did the FC, it seemed to check all boxes of what most of us consider a hunting rifle. All the pieces there, especially in the SAs. I was the odd one out that just couldn’t stand the stock design, but I know I’m in the minority.

I made a trip to Whittakers with cash in hand to buy 2, but hated the stock so wound up with 2 more Kimbers. Thinking back it seems they had a handful of demo models for under $1k….

But those FCs, what did they sell for at first? $1500 ish? Seems used ones are bringing close to twice that now. I can’t make sense of why their design wasn’t carried over, made available and sold like crazy.

Something must be going right over my head because I don’t get it at all.

Last edited by Holston; 10/25/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Holston
I haven’t read this whole thread, or have an opinion either way on the new FCs or whatever they’re called now.

What I just don’t understand though, is why companies don’t put out what, in my opinion(gathered from many different forums/ranges/friends,etc), would sell like crazy.

I mean, how fast would a .223 Montana, 7 or 8 twist, FLY off the shelves? Same with a 700 along the Mtn guide style…stainless, twisted right for todays bullets and dropped into a Ti or similar stock???

How many of you would buy a Mtn Guide or Montana in .22 Creed, twisted correctly?

(Edited to add to the above and not absurdly priced.)

When Barret did the FC, it seemed to check all boxes of what most of us consider a hunting rifle. All the pieces there, especially in the SAs. I was the odd one out that just couldn’t stand the stock design, but I know I’m in the minority.

I made a trip to Whittakers with cash in hand to buy 2, but hated the stock so wound up with 2 more Kimbers. Thinking back it seems they had a handful of demo models for under $1k….

But those FCs, what did they sell for at first? $1500 ish? Seems used ones are bringing close to twice that now. I can’t make sense of why their design wasn’t carried over, made available and sold like crazy.

Something must be going right over my head because I don’t get it at all.
Carried over to what? Wilson bought out NULA, not Barrett. Or am I misunderstanding the gist of your post?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bill,

What twist on that 7-08?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
A blind magazine has never dumped the reserve cartridges all over the shooters boots

Operator error issue. Kinda like wanting a fixed power scope because one time you had the scope at 14 power when you were shooting at 30 yards and all you could see was hair.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Bill,

What twist on that 7-08?

1-9

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Carried over to what? Wilson bought out NULA, not Barrett. Or am I misunderstanding the gist of your post?

No, I see I could have worded that a lot better. Keep in mind that my post wasn’t directed at Wilson and their new ULA style, but more in general.

What I was getting at, it’s easy to see what design/features whatever people want. Why are companies always seemingly doing the opposite?

I mean we have a rifle here that’s looking to fill a gap that was once filled by NULA and Barrett. Why try and reinvent the wheel instead of making what people are asking for? What am I missing here?

Like i said earlier, I’m very ignorant to some fact or another that’s probably very obvious…but I just don’t get it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A blind magazine has never dumped the reserve cartridges all over the shooters boots

Operator error issue. Kinda like wanting a fixed power scope because one time you had the scope at 14 power when you were shooting at 30 yards and all you could see was hair.
Blind mags still carry better in the hand

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bill, were there any discussions with Melvin about adding bottom metal to your designs?
His opinion?

I know you bought all rights, so I'm not questioning your design parameters. Just wondering if there was any discussion about it between friends.
It is clear lots of respect is there between the two of you.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Blind mags still carry better in the hand

I suppose it’s all personal preference, mine is to have bottom metal because I like to dump 3 or 4 cartridges out the bottom rather than cycle through to empty. It’s a habit from using a push feed I do not chamber a round until the need requires, I just slide the bolt over the pressed down cartridges in the magazine. Whatever is left in the magazine I dump out the bottom for quick empty. To each his own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hang in there, Bill. While some of the remarks seem harsh, it's not personal-at least I hope not. The 24HCF bunch are as passionate about their rifle choices and actually shooting their rifles as any bunch I've ever come across on the WWW. Like you, some of these guys shoot and hunt a LOT. I, for one, have learned a lot from these guys by simply trying some of the things they suggested, just as some of us have for you re 1911s. As a rifle side note, like you, I really like the 9,3x62. I learned about it here at 24HCF.
Best wishes and success on your new WC/NULA bolt action rifles.

B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I seem to recall reading somewhere that not only did the blind magazine help save weight but also that it made for a stiffer stock, which in conjunction with Mr Forbes’ full length bedding was how he achieved the accuracy he was noted for.

I’ll probably never quit kicking myself for not buying a Fieldcraft when they were on close out. Had a 6 Creed in my hands at a Cabela’s that was priced at $1350 and walked away like an idiot.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bry
I’ll probably never quit kicking myself for not buying a Fieldcraft when they were on close out. Had a 6 Creed in my hands at a Cabela’s that was priced at $1350 and walked away like an idiot.

I was waiting patiently for a Fieldcraft in 22Creed and 223. Then Barrett shelved the FC before launching either. When Wilson bought NULA I thought sure I'd have turnkey options for both.

Alas, it appears I'll be re-barreling and box-tweaking more Kimber 84Ms.

Last edited by horse1; 10/25/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I will put the accuracy of our rifles up against any original Melvin built gun, they all shoot great or they don't ship.

The guys just built me a 7mm08 and it shoots GREAT!!! Weighs 6# 10.7oz unloaded with a 19oz scope/rings on it.

Just my "personal" opinion, but some of the posters on this forum should take a "hint" from the Texas Hunting Forum and be nice people !!!

Your VERY Tender Feelers,will "help" less than none. Holster your Emotions and focus Mechanics for The Win. Hint.

A 1-9" 243 Win is a Goat Fhuqk. The absolute fhuqking slowest Seex Kreed you can procure over the counter is 1-8",but Ronnie did it MUCH better,in both. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Going 1-10" in the 308,won't hurt The Core-Lokt Crowd and will keep windows of opportunity open,for those who like mufflers and subsonic High BC's. It'll suit those legally forced to shoot non-lead Mono's too. That is simply a wise mechanical move,though the LEAST likely to happen. Hint.

Now schit like this,is simply mechanically fhuqking STUPID,none of which is "subjective". A 9" 7-08,can't keep pace with a 8" 264 Kreedmire. Why? Because bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The Mail has been kind. Hint.

It is plum AMAZING to me,how very little Manufacturers "know" or shoot. Hint...............

P.S. and by the way,as horse more than HINTS,a Speedmire Donor recently arrived. Though I already have them in 7",7.5" and 8"...this will be another 7".

Nice of the 1-10" Montucky 243Win,to give up the ghost,in order to obtain EXCELLENCE. Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 22magnut, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.