Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am a fan of Russel Annabel and Jim Corbet. Hemingway was up there too. Ruark awesome.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the gun/hunting writings by Barness a lot. My favorite gun and occasional hunting author was Ross Seyfried back when he was still doing a lot of writing.

Some of that has to do with first getting into his writings when I was around 12 yrs old. Everything seems bigger than life at that age from professional gun and hunting author’s to pro athletes, compared to as we get older. I still enjoy his overall breadth of knowledge including the offbeat compared to the typical flavor of the day canned articles that so many others cover.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many to list. But Pondoro Taylor had a style that I really enjoy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love Annabel and have his books, but I read them as good fiction. Paul Matthews wrote years ago, and what of his I've read I like. I think he had a series called Ben and the Old Man, of which I've only found one article in an old Shooting Times. Very similar to Ruark' s work. Mule Deer tells a great non- fiction hunting tale, as did O'Connor. Skeeter Skelton's Me and Joe tales are guaranteed to lower my blood pressure and make me feel 12 years old...if only briefly. And Ben East has been mentioned. His putting to words the stories of old timers was wonderful. Finn Aagaard was one of the very best as well.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Jack O'Connor, Craig Boddington, Elmer Keith, John Wooters, Bob Milek, Ross Seyfried, Peter Capstick, Jim Carmichel, John Barsness, Phil Shoemaker, Ron Spomer, those are some my favorite writers of hunting stories.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forgot about Shoemaker. Along with Mule Deer, he's among the best today. And Brian Pearce tells a good hunting adventure as well. Wish Shoemaker and Pearce would write a book!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A well-told hunting story can be just terrific!

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've read everything by Jim Corbett that I could find, as well as Karamojo Bell. They are favorite writers of hunting stories who aren't Americans. As far as writers in this country, Archibald Rutledge is a favorite of mine, and again, I've read everything he wrote that I can find. Same way with Russell Annabel. I also like the usual suspects......O'Connor, Wooters, Jobson, Ben East, Milek, Nash Buckingham, just to name a few.

Back in the 1960's there was a very frequent contributor to Outdoor Life named Erwin Bauer, and he was good too.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have to go with Patrick McManus :⁠-⁠)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been picking through Mule Deer's The Life of the Hunt which I ordered when a bunch of you were talking about his story "The Last Week". The man is talented and he can really convey those moments we all know so well.

Because I'm a dog guy, Gene Hill is always on the short shelf. My lab, Rae, has been doing her part with the woodcock the past few weeks - just some great days in the field.

There's many others I enjoy. But, November is reserved for Faulkner - the stories in Go Down Moses and The Big Woods. Maybe the best writing I've ever read. Some passages are just overwhelming - you have to put it down and let it wash over you.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Road to Tinkhamtown by Corey Ford is one of the most powerful stories I've read, in any genre.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 300_savage
The Road to Tinkhamtown by Corey Ford is one of the most powerful stories I've read, in any genre.
☝️☝️☝️

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Add Ted Trueblood to the list.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I really liked Peter Capstick. Some people question the embellishment of many of his stories but I don't care.

He transports me to Africa like no other writer.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Finn Aagaard is another great hunting/firearms writer.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
He was indeed. (Even though some internet sources claim Finn is still around, he unfortunately passed away in 2000.)

One of the interesting things about "hunting" writing is that it's changed considerably since I sold my first magazine pieces in the 1970s. Back then the trend was back toward more hunting "stories," narratives of a day or several in the field. This was in thanks partly due to a then-new magazine named Gray's Sporting Journal, which is where I published my first hunting story in 1976, about a day of elk hunting. (Had previously published one other such story, about a day of flyfishing during a Wyoming winter, in Sports Illustrated--back when it also ran "blood sports" articles.)

This was somewhat of a change, because the trend for years had been toward "how-to" articles in the hunting/fishing magazines for a while. Gray's did well enough that other magazines started running such stories again, including what were then called The Big Three--Field & Stream, Outdoor Life and Sports Afield.

This helped my career considerably, and by the mid-1980s I was making my entire living writing, and at least 75% of that was writing narrative stories for all four of those magazines. In 1996 a book company even published a collection of 'em named The Life of the Hunt (even though it included a couple of fishing stories) which sold very well.

But more recently the trend is back toward more technical stuff, whether how or where to hunt, or articles on firearms and ballistics. In fact Craig Boddington and I had an e-mail conversation about that a year or so ago. Many of his earlier articles and books were hunting stories, but they simply don't sell like they used to--which is the reason my last book of hunting stories (Born to Hunt, published in 2011) only lasted through the first printing.

It got fine reviews, but my more technical book, Obsessions of a Rifle Loony, sold far better when published the next year. In fact I don't know how many printings we've done of Obsessions, but it's probably 3-4.

The other factor that changed all this is TV hunting shows, videos and, these days, podcasts. Instead of reading hunting stories, many of today's hunters prefer to watch other people hunt--which of course follows other trends in today's society.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I have to go with Patrick McManus :⁠-⁠)

+1.

Prolly because he told stories that most can relate too.

Nothing against stories of beasts in far away lands, but mcManus could make you laugh, simple because you could say “I’ve been there… or could’ve been me..”

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got to know Pat some during his later years, and he was also funny in person--though his spoken humor was often somewhat drier and "shorter" than his writing!

Ed Zern was also a great humor storyteller, and I also got to know him some. He and Ted Trueblood were good buddies, and often hunted and fished together.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Great list on people to search for books from. Francis Sell also.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat McManus was the main reason I looked forward to my dad's Outdoor Life's coming in the mail. I'd read Last Laugh and once I got a little older I started reading Carmichael and that was my introduction to learning about guns. A Carmichael article led us to switch from 180 to 150 grains in our 30-06 rifles. We started getting much quicker kills on Deer. Prior to that common consensus was you needed heavy round nose bullets for the brush. Carmichael opened my eyes to that fallacy and that made a real difference for us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.