-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone here have experience in converting to 9mm ? Which upper ? Did it run ok ?
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I assume that you mean for an AR?

Or Tavor.

Or, springfield armory XD?

You mean for colt/uzi style mags? Olympic Arms mags? Sten mags? Glock mags? One using various mag blocks? They all exist.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, for the AR.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
CMMG - have experience with three conversions in two dedicated pistols and one rifle.

Pistol runs well, the rifle runs well unless you get some anemic ammo. Pistol is PSA 9mm lower and Glock magazines. You have to remove the lower stock ejector for the CMMG kit. Rifle a standard lower with the CMMG magazine conversion kit in PMAGs.

The radial delay does “seem” to slow down the recoil. Both are good light recoiling firearms to plink with.

Last edited by AH64guy; 10/22/23.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by AH64guy
CMMG - have experience with three conversions in two dedicated pistols and one rifle.

Pistol runs well, the rifle runs well unless you get some anemic ammo. Pistol is PSA 9mm lower and Glock magazines. You have to remove the lower stock ejector for the CMMG kit. Rifle a standard lower with the CMMG magazine conversion kit in PMAGs.

The radial delay does “seem” to slow down the recoil. Both are good light recoiling firearms to plink with.

This is the route I'd go, except I'd buy/build a dedicated CMMG gun, or two.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Yes, for the AR.

I'm guessing you already have a regular lower. If that's the case, I would suggest getting a couple of Mean Arms 9mm magpul mag inserts so you wouldn't have to purchase either a dedicated lower or interchangeable mag block.

I would still suggest using a heavier (9mm--6 oz or heavier) buffer when you're using the 9mm upper of your choice.

I have a PSA 9mm bolt and barrel and have shot the dickens out of it. I built my own upper but their bolt and barrel and whatever stripped upper receiver is about all you'd probably have to get. While you can mix/match various manufacturers bolts/barrels I generally suggest that you use the same for at least the bolt/barrel if you don't outright buy a completed upper.

That would be the easiest cheapest and most straightforward that you could easily swap out with your other regular lowers.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
my olympic arms upper works well with the standard AR 223 lower using Sten mags with the adapter---I have an extra upper and adapter for sale

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Never saw any reason for a 9mm on an AR.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Foxtrot Mike setup. I originally just bought the upper, and tried magazine conversions (I don't remember the brand) with Gen 2 Magpul 5.56 magazines, but it didn't run at all.

I bought a dedicated FM lower that takes Glock mags, and it runs like a champ, now. Both the upper and lower are billet receivers, and the build quality is great. The last shot bolt hold-open feature works as it should with Glock and aftermarket magazines from Magpul and Amend2. It's a bunch of fun to shoot with a YHM R9 suppressor!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like the dedicated Aero EPC receivers/parts. Had mine in 8.3" pistol format with a Ballistic Advantage barrel, very uber. Now I've gone 16" Faxon pencil barrel with it but haven't shot it. Why 9mm? Why the hell not. Fun as heck. Using a Toolcraft BCG without problem. Compact lightweight plinkomatic. I wouldn't mess with the conversation parts. Handy, a Glock, an EPC, and some mags that go in either. What a blast...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rickt300
Never saw any reason for a 9mm on an AR.

I have two built on SBR lowers, one with a 10.5" barrel and the other with an 8" barrel...they are a lot of fun, easy to shoot for the kids, and still formidable with +P+ Ranger 127's. Both of mine use standard Colt pattern AR mags, but if I could do it over, I would have built one using a dedicated Glock pattern 9mm mag lower (mainly because I also shoot a G34 and carry a G19).

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm with DanInAlaska on the Foxtrot Mike setup. It is cheaper to buy a FM lower than a lower and a mag block and the FM just works.

Doesn't matter if it is a pistol or rifle setup, it works.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,814
Posts18,496,452
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.