Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm hoping to pick up a Glock in 10mm soon with the MOS system. I'd like to add a red dot on top to use for deer hunting. I just don't have much experience with micro dots. The only two I've had have been a Burris FastFire 3 and a Vortex Razor. I have no complaints about the FastFire 3, but it's been on a 22. So I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. The Razor has been a disappointment because it recently failed despite really not having much use. On the plus side Vortex did replace it quickly for me. While it was working, I was pretty happy with it.

So that's led me to research other options. I think I've pretty much ruled out the Trijicon RMR line despite it initially being my original #1 choice. I know the warranty doesn't mean everything and that the best warranty is one you never have to use. I'd prefer durability over a warranty, but I'm just seeing too many reports of the RMR failing to feel comfortable with a 5 year warranty. I'm seeing similar amounts of complaints as to what I am seeing with the other brands, but they all have a lifetime warranty vs 5 years.

Some co-workers like Holosun, but I have the same concern. They have a 10 year warranty which leaves me feeling like I'm going to be buying another one after the warranty is up and it fails. It seems like from what I'm reading that all of these things have a somewhat limited life and failures aren't uncommon. At least with one of the companies with a lifetime warranty, they can just keep replacing it.

So that brings me back to Burris, Vortex, and Leupold. I know what my experiences are with the FastFire 3 and Razor and it has me tempted to go with another FF3. My only hesitation is that almost every thread I read people like the Vortex Venom and Razor over the FF3 due to the additional brightness adjustments, and the fact that the FF3 turns itself off. Which I don't necessarily love about the FF3. This has led me back to another Vortex Razor, although I'm not opposed to the Venom. I'm not set against it, but I'm just not sold on it either after the failure I had. I've also had numerous Vortex scopes fail, which hasn't left the best taste in my mouth.

Then there is the Leupold Delta Point Pro. Initially I thought this might be the one. I really like most everything I'm reading about it. My hesitation comes from the fact that I have been unhappy with pretty much every Leupold scope I've owned and I've tried a bunch. I've had numerous failures, none that tracked correctly, several that lost zero with slight bumps, etc. 15 years ago when you would post online about this, you'd get bashed for days by Leupold fan boys. I find it comical to see how may people now are posting the same things that I've been saying about Leupold for 15 years. I'm worried the posts about this red dot may be the same scenario. People love them based on the name. Almost every report around the time it came out is positive, while I've ready several a few years later indicating the electronics failed. Although I'm seeing this with every brand. This one really seems promising, but I'm really hesitant.

Has anyone used all three? Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm starting to think there may just not be a perfect red dot.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't used it enough to recommend it, but it has done what it is supposed to do in limited use. I never have been a crack pistol shot. I was a little better with open sights on this gun than the FF3. I am pretty sure it's a me thing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the Burris Fast Fire II, Trijicon RMR and currently the Delta Point Pro. My favorite is the Delta Point Pro. It's easy to change the battery, and it has a slightly bigger window. To me it's a bit easier top pick up the dot.

The downside to the DPP is that the body is a little higher than the RMR and IF you want back up iron sights, you will need to go with extra tall sights, like from Ameriglo or Dawsons. I switched from the RMR to the DPP on my G17 MOS Gen 5 and the sights that cowitnessed with the RMR are now exactly as high as the body of the DDP and they won't exactly cowitness. I've fired it enough like that, though, that if I bring the tip of the front sight up so I can see it in the window, then I know where the dot would be in relation to that. I can fire it accurately to 50 yards that way, with no dot on at all. So I have no plans to get taller sights. But if you want the DPP, it would be best to just go with the extra tall DPP sights from Ameriglo or Dawson.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/25/23.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the Trijicon RMR as shown on this G-40 gen 4 with KKM barrel.

Picture doesn't show high Trijicon irons added later to co-witness the RMR. To me, I can pick up the dot faster that way.

I tried aftermarket triggers, sent them back, went with factory trigger worked over by my gunsmith bud who's a factory trained Glock Armorer. He's a retired SWAT sniper, knows his stuff.

Grip was worked over by Sinners Mass in San Antonio. I don't like those finger grooves, like the way they reworked the grip frame.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slowr1der
I'm hoping to pick up a Glock in 10mm soon with the MOS system. I'd like to add a red dot on top to use for deer hunting. I just don't have much experience with micro dots. The only two I've had have been a Burris FastFire 3 and a Vortex Razor. I have no complaints about the FastFire 3, but it's been on a 22. So I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. The Razor has been a disappointment because it recently failed despite really not having much use. On the plus side Vortex did replace it quickly for me. While it was working, I was pretty happy with it.

So that's led me to research other options. I think I've pretty much ruled out the Trijicon RMR line despite it initially being my original #1 choice. I know the warranty doesn't mean everything and that the best warranty is one you never have to use. I'd prefer durability over a warranty, but I'm just seeing too many reports of the RMR failing to feel comfortable with a 5 year warranty. I'm seeing similar amounts of complaints as to what I am seeing with the other brands, but they all have a lifetime warranty vs 5 years.

Some co-workers like Holosun, but I have the same concern. They have a 10 year warranty which leaves me feeling like I'm going to be buying another one after the warranty is up and it fails. It seems like from what I'm reading that all of these things have a somewhat limited life and failures aren't uncommon. At least with one of the companies with a lifetime warranty, they can just keep replacing it.

So that brings me back to Burris, Vortex, and Leupold. I know what my experiences are with the FastFire 3 and Razor and it has me tempted to go with another FF3. My only hesitation is that almost every thread I read people like the Vortex Venom and Razor over the FF3 due to the additional brightness adjustments, and the fact that the FF3 turns itself off. Which I don't necessarily love about the FF3. This has led me back to another Vortex Razor, although I'm not opposed to the Venom. I'm not set against it, but I'm just not sold on it either after the failure I had. I've also had numerous Vortex scopes fail, which hasn't left the best taste in my mouth.

Then there is the Leupold Delta Point Pro. Initially I thought this might be the one. I really like most everything I'm reading about it. My hesitation comes from the fact that I have been unhappy with pretty much every Leupold scope I've owned and I've tried a bunch. I've had numerous failures, none that tracked correctly, several that lost zero with slight bumps, etc. 15 years ago when you would post online about this, you'd get bashed for days by Leupold fan boys. I find it comical to see how may people now are posting the same things that I've been saying about Leupold for 15 years. I'm worried the posts about this red dot may be the same scenario. People love them based on the name. Almost every report around the time it came out is positive, while I've ready several a few years later indicating the electronics failed. Although I'm seeing this with every brand. This one really seems promising, but I'm really hesitant.

Has anyone used all three? Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm starting to think there may just not be a perfect red dot.

The Trijicon is the standard all the other optics are judged by. You might want to look at the closed emitter "mailbox" type red dot sights for their reliability in wet weather. Hunting in snow, rain fog ect the closed emitter-type sights might have an advantage. Trijicon, Aimpoint, and Holosun are all solid choices. In the end, the dot optic is a piece of electronic equipment bolted on top of your handgun. It is mechanical and something that can fail, don't be surprised if it does. Most high-quality sights don't fail and are surprisingly tough and do a very good job even in harsh conditions. However, if you are that worried about ten-year warranties and all that muck, then forget the optic and use iron sights.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
RMR or if you want to get the most for your money, Holosun is it. I have a pair of them and they've been flawless, both are on 9mm a Sig 365XL that gets carried every day 24/7 and an M320M17.

One advantage over many others is the battery can be changed without removal which is a big deal in my book. As a side note, I've had both over a year and batteries haven't been touched and as I said the 365XL is carried constantly.

I am also one that shoots a lot, several thousand handgun rounds a year. I may be in the minority, but I like the cheaper 407 series with the larger dot and no big circle reticle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a poster here had his go tits up, but so far I am very happy with the Holosun SCS for the MOS. Sits super low and works with the issued sights as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a difficult time using open sights since my cataract surgery and have a Crimson Trace on my Glock 19 and like it a lot.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They all break, it's sort of a question of which breaks the least and under the hardest use. RMRs have been out the longest and get used the most. They are pretty tough though a buddy who failure tested a lot of pistol sights for a govt agency says the Aimpoint ACRO pro is the toughest.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The DPP is too tall to co-witness with irons.

To me, the RMR is low enough to see thru and co-witness with tall Trijicon irons.

My personal preference, YMMV.

To me, finding the dot is quicker when I have irons to co-witness.

If you have no issue quickly finding the dot, then it's moot.

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The RMR is the most robust of all. Period.
I have a Holosun and Venom. So far no complaints

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot pistols with dot sights regularly in action matches. I used Delta Point Pro's for a couple of years on Glock 34's and then moved to Sig P320 X5 Legions where I am using Sig Romeo 3 Max's. I probably shoot 8-10K rounds a year or so through these.

When I started shooting dots one of the things I read on forums was that for shooting a lot of matches most people have 2 guns set up identically, so that if they have a problem with a dot sight they still have a working pistol while the other dot gets fixed by the manufacturer. I have found that to be a good strategy. I had problems early on with both Delta Point Pro's and Sig Romeo 3's. It seems like the manufacturers have figured out some of the problems with dots because I have had no issues for the last 18 months or so. But if you're shooting thousands of rounds with a slide mounted dot it's going to take a beating and eventually something will likely break, regardless of brand.

A pistol used for hunting will probably be shot a lot less than a competition gun so what I am describing may not exactly apply to you. Not many competition shooters use RMR's because the window is fairly small and a larger window is an advantage when speed is critical. But RMR's do have a good reputation for reliability.

Nevertheless, if you shoot enough, I think you are likely to see some issues with slide mounted dots, regardless of brand. The technology is fairly new, and in a few years the best dot sights may be very robust, but I don't think it's quite there yet.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Maybe consider just upgrading the front sight to something like Trijicon HD XR and a Glock rear field sight. Started with a Leupold dpp but thought it shook too much in my hand to matter for significant gains in precision and timing at expected distances.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost all optics with electronics have a limited warranty period, so I consider them a consumable, like recoil springs. I suggest you watch some reviews by mrgunsandgear and Honest Outlaw and listen to their advice. They beat the crap out of stuff trying to break it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no complaints at all for my RMR. I haven’t looked at reviews but Trijicon’s rep is for durability as much as anything. I’ve never owned a Burris FF but they have a great reputation for durability too, on everything from turkey guns to dangerous game rifles. If you like you’re FF3 I wouldn’t think twice about putting one on your Glock. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I really like the Holosun 507C X2 Green with either the circle-dot or ACSS. Both have the shake awake option and 50k battery life so there's no messing with turning on or forgetting tio turn off!

Circle-dot is great but not as quick as the ACSS from awkward field positions......maybe better for a 22 or carbine.
[Linked Image]

ACSS carrot when centered properly.....helps with hold-over out to 100 yards
[Linked Image]
Genius large circle for centering the reticle quickly from tough positions.....naturally intuitive to acquire.
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For pure shootability and flawless design/function I would get a Trijicon SRO.

For a more robust/duty style optic I would get the RMR type 2.

If you want straight plug-n-play to see if the concept works for you, I would get the Horosun SCS. The small window is a hinderance when shooting fast but for hunting, it may just be what you're looking for. They are about as autonomous as they can get and while I have had one fail, my second one has been without issue.

I've no exposure to the latest Trijicon offerings but I suspect they'll be the gold standard that replaces the original gold standard very soon. I find it very difficult to not love Trijicon.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love C-more sights, but it is a personal preference. C-more has a thirty year guarantee and been around longer than most. Do some investigating and pick a good one of your choice. I like the 2 MOA dot while others like a lot larger. You pick what is best for you. Good Shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slowr1der
I'm starting to think there may just not be a perfect red dot.

There is, it's Trijicon. RMR or SRO, shooter's choice.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
If you guys haven’t seen the SageDynamics channel on YouTube it’s worth the watch. The guy reviews tons of gear and does a pretty thorough torture test on dot optics. He will likely have a review of many of the ones discussed here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 29 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,480
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.