G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Best there is with sling strap on left shoulder barrel up and left hand on belly of the stock can be in action to shoot instantly.

How does that work?

I do similar when I think there might be something to shoot at, but muzzle down. Someone...Jeff Cooper maybe?...wrote about it being the quickest way to get a slung rifle into a shooting position.

Louis L'Amour..... smile

I use "safari" slings. Walking over tough terrain the rifle is "hip" carried, usually, leaving one hand free for walking staff, and the other available if needed , especially if I have a pack on. Climbing it gets back slung.

One can let go the rifle to use binocs, easily, without a bunch of fumble-fugging around if hand carrying.

On atv, or snow machine, the sling is tightened up and rifle is carried across my belly or chest muzzle up, and/or to left. One still has to exercise muzzle awareness, and an empty chamber if shooting possibility is not imminent.

If slip hunting, or shooting is imminent, rifle is hand carried or, often , as first described, as it is almost as quick as port arms. Close enough to make no diff. I have never lost out on a shot opportunity by so doing. But then, I don't do snap/hope shots.

The conditions dictate the carry - one size does not fit all, but the safari sling pretty much can do it all.

African carry?

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use slings on hunting rifles.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 10/27/23.
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Out goofing around bargain hunting and ran across this book.
The Total Gun Manual
Section 148 made me chuckle.
Rifle slings have saved the lives of more critters than PETA
grin
Probably true of everybody at one time or another, although with experience I have disciplined myself to not repeating the same mistake over. I instead concentrate on making all new stupid mistakes! grin
Anyway, when buying a new rifle. Slings, optics and extra magazines are factored in with the original cost for most of us.
Myself, I don’t get too wrapped up in a sling because I have a couple good ones that I swap back and forth to whatever I’m using currently.
You wont usually catch me using it unless I’m dragging or I’m in close proximity to another hunter. If I’m dragging I ain’t gonna be shooting and if I’m with a partner, the sling keeps it pointed safely skyward.
I have been caught a couple times with the thing slung, but like I said, I’ve learned from earlier mistakes and concentrate of creating new and exciting way to fowl myself up instead!
Reon

Hmmm. I've put my share of trophies on the ground wrapped up in my Latigo sling. I'm sure to PETA's chagrin; quick humane kills notwithstanding.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I never was a fan of slings. Hunted in Africa and the PH’s I ran across didn’t like them much and preferred hunters not to use a sling.

With that said, broke my foot a few years back and bought a fat tire electric bike to hunt off of. Long heavy duty sling over your head with your arm through works dang good on an electric bike. So I guess slings have some purpose.

Thanks, Billy
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
I never was a fan of slings. Hunted in Africa and the PH’s I ran across didn’t like them much and preferred hunters not to use a sling.

With that said, broke my foot a few years back and bought a fat tire electric bike to hunt off of. Long heavy duty sling over your head with your arm through works dang good on an electric bike. So I guess slings have some purpose.

Yep, the traditional fully loaded DGR (double rifle) safari carry is way better and much safer (sarcasm intended). Not picking on you GringoCazador, but my personal peeve got the better of me.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I love the photos taken here in North America of a hunter on a ridge, new stainless synthetic price point rifle over their shoulder in the African carry, looking thoughtfully into the distance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Best there is with sling strap on left shoulder barrel up and left hand on belly of the stock can be in action to shoot instantly.

How does that work?

I do similar when I think there might be something to shoot at, but muzzle down. Someone...Jeff Cooper maybe?...wrote about it being the quickest way to get a slung rifle into a shooting position.

Louis L'Amour..... smile

I use "safari" slings. Walking over tough terrain the rifle is "hip" carried, usually, leaving one hand free for walking staff, and the other available if needed , especially if I have a pack on. Climbing it gets back slung.

One can let go the rifle to use binocs, easily, without a bunch of fumble-fugging around if hand carrying.

On atv, or snow machine, the sling is tightened up and rifle is carried across my belly or chest muzzle up, and/or to left. One still has to exercise muzzle awareness, and an empty chamber if shooting possibility is not imminent.

If slip hunting, or shooting is imminent, rifle is hand carried or, often , as first described, as it is almost as quick as port arms. Close enough to make no diff. I have never lost out on a shot opportunity by so doing. But then, I don't do snap/hope shots.

The conditions dictate the carry - one size does not fit all, but the safari sling pretty much can do it all.

African carry?

It looks cool but nobody likes a gun pointed at them

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by justin10mm
If a rifle slung over the shoulder is keeping you from making quick shots at game you probably also have a difficult time chewing gum and walking at the same time.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lots of ignorance on this forum. shocked

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.