Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Looking for an accurate bullet in a 7” spun M4 AR 5.56 that will hammer coyotes and other vermin without totally f’n up the hide. Thinking VMAX of some sort likely a 50-55 grain. I’ve shot a ton of vermin with it just did it with heavier bullets that blew right through. Mostly 63 grain bonded stuff. Great for deer but not so much for pelts. Never gave a rip about hides before but I’d like to start keeping them now if for nothing else some nice decorations. Just looking for some quick and easy tips from those of you that know from experience. Thanks.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
40gr Varmageddon tipped. They’ve been very accurate and very effective for me on a bunch of stuff from crows to pigs. Usually no exit on coyotes and bobcats. Sucky BC if that matters to you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
+11111

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Had excellent results out of a 55 or 60 grain V-Max.

Loaded to around 3000fps. Exit is rare on a coyote.

My experience with lighter, more frangible bullets is that they can splash and not kill effectively and may tend to blow large holes on impact.

I did field testing for a major ammo/bullet company with various highly frangible bullet designs they were wanting to cross over and market to predator hunters. Even had a few of the key corporate people down when testing, and showed them the results... Told them there was a big difference in coyotes and prairie dogs, and showed them first hand results, but they marketed that ammo/bullet for predator hunters anyway. Guess marketing matters... wink

Interesting side note is that the ammo/bullets were intended for special forces and tactical police situations, and they were looking for crossover uses into the hunting market.

All in all, I firmly stand by my recommendation of a 55 or 60gr V-Max at 3000fps as the greatest killer of DRT coyotes that I ever used. This opinion is based on roughly 1500 or so coyotes, with a few other animals sprinkled in.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Agree on the 55 Vmax for coyotes, but it can be a bit strenuous on bobcats ,and can really tear up a fox. If you just plain want to keep a hide or two I'd go with the 40 gr NBT, Goes in and has few exits, works on most fur bearing sized critters.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ive shot most of my coyotes with 223’s using 55BT’s. Can’t remember any being super torn up.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
years ago I earned a fair chunk of my living shooting for hides. One bullet I can to like a lot for fur was the 50 grain Hornady SX fired from a 22" SAKO in 222 Remington. From a 16" 5.56 AR the velocity is probably going to be identical or so close it would not matter. Those bullets would kill instantly and most times not exit a big Nevada or Idaho Coyote.

Also keep in mind that velocity is not necessary your friend when it comes to making money. I would use a 22 LR of fox because of that very reason.

Load for accuracy and forget about speed. As long as it shoots well and will operate your AR's action call it good and go make some money.

Last edited by szihn; 10/28/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Agree on the 55 Vmax for coyotes, but it can be a bit strenuous on bobcats ,and can really tear up a fox. If you just plain want to keep a hide or two I'd go with the 40 gr NBT, Goes in and has few exits, works on most fur bearing sized critters.

For saving fur the 40 NBT is the best thing I have used in 5.56 ARs.

The 69gr Sierra TMK does well (coyotes) for being heavy as it expands very fast and offers better long range ballistics.

The fast twist of most ARs does reduce penatration in the fast expanding bullets.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have killed a few truckloads of coyotes with 52 grain Sierra Matchkings over the years. Very accurate bullet and doesn't tear stuff up.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by szihn
years ago I earned a fair chunk of my living shooting for hides. One bullet I can to like a lot for fur was the 50 grain Hornady SX fired from a 22" SAKO in 222 Remington. From a 16" 5.56 AR the velocity is probably going to be identical or so close it would not matter. Those bullets would kill instantly and most times not exit a big Nevada or Idaho Coyote.

Also keep in mind that velocity is not necessary your friend when it comes to making money. I would use a 22 LR of fox because of that very reason.

Load for accuracy and forget about speed. As long as it shoots well and will operate your AR's action call it good and go make some money.
Pretty good chance that SX will make it about 3' out of the barrel and be reduced to a vapor.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
40gr Varmageddon tipped. They’ve been very accurate and very effective for me on a bunch of stuff from crows to pigs. Usually no exit on coyotes and bobcats. Sucky BC if that matters to you.
Have you tried those from a 7 twist??

I have some 223 loaded with 40 grain Blitzking and want to try them from my AR but the 7 twist has me hesitating.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I have some 223 loaded with 40 grain Blitzking and want to try them from my AR but the 7 twist has me hesitating.

The Varmageddon Tipped is the Nosler BT. Has a solid base where the Blitzking is standard cup/core with a thin jacket.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

The Varmageddon Tipped is the Nosler BT. Has a solid base where the Blitzking is standard cup/core with a thin jacket.
Varmageddon has no solid base. Is standard cup n core like a Blitzking.

Ballistic Tip and Varmageddon are 2 different lines. Varmageddon is offered in both tipped and HP models.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/28/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Varmageddon has no solid base. Is standard cup n core like a Blitzking.

Ballistic Tip and Varmageddon are 2 different lines.

Thanks for that info.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Yes they’ve been fine. The 50gr SX has too for that matter. I’m not cranking them too fast with the 18” barrel but I’ve never had one puff.
Shot a little pig below the eyeball with a 50SX and everything above the eye socket was completely gone. Gave him a flat top!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes they’ve been fine. The 50gr SX has too for that matter. I’m not cranking them too fast with the 18” barrel but I’ve never had one puff.
Shot a little pig below the eyeball with a 50SX and everything above the eye socket was completely gone. Gave him a flat top!
👍🏿👍🏿

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know first hand a 1-7” twist can be brutal on varmint bullets. Actually, the only bullet I’ve had trouble with is the 55 gr Speer. They can’t handle the RPMs but the 55 Nos Varmegeddon bullets shoot fantastically in my rifle.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17175429/1

Todd

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Vmax. Won't exit. Blitzings are easy on fur too.
If you want minimal, go 40 grainers.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks all. Seems like the easy button is 40-60 tipped Vmax or similar. Should be good to go as I have a variety from 35 to 60. The 35’s I had I loaded light for a bolt gun. Doubt they’ll work in the AR. Just never got serious about fur and never paid attention to the damage. Just dumped them and left them. Yeah sounds horrible and a waste but I’m changing my evil ways. I plan on targeting them (coyotes and such) around January to see if I can get prime coats. Thanks again for the advice.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not plain old 50-55 gr FMJs?

I've shot coyotes, but I'm not a coyote hunter, so my experience is limited.

On two of my African hunts my "list" included some little guys that I thought my regular big game hunting bullets would tear up too much of the hide so...

On one hunt I borrowed a .308 Win with 150 gr FMJ cartridges from my PH, and one FMJ bullet dropped a Cape Grysbok on the spot with only a .30 caliber entrance and exit holes.

On another hunt I wanted an African Civet so I worked a load of 150 FMJ bullets for my .300 Weatherby, and again one bullet dropped him on the spot with only .30 caliber entrance and exit holes.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.