Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
moore Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Got a ridge rifle carbon bull barrel 1-10 twist wont group better than 2in help please

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lot of things could be wrong. The first thing I would do is pull the barreled action out of the stock and wipe everything down to be sure it is truly clean, no grit, no debris. When that is done, check barrel clearance in the stock to be sure it is floating properly and evenly. I've heard from a number of other Christensen rifle owners. They bitch about the stocks being flexible enough that the clearance isn't adequate and any sort of variability in "hold" leads to intermittent contact during recoil causing shots to "fly". Check the bedding to see if it is even. Many of the C.A. rifles are not. Remove your scope and re-mount it. Make sure the surfaces between base and action are clean, no grit, no particles. Check the torque and follow specs at least to start with. Make sure the bolt handle is not contacting the stock when the bolt is closed. Make sure the magazine box is not bound up between the floorplate and action bottom .. there should be the slightest smidge of motion indicating it is not pinched. Put a different scope on the gun, one that is proven. New scopes can be as bad as new guns .. maybe more so. If all else fails, get someone else to shoot it in case YOU are the problem. It happens and the surer you are that it can't happen the more more likely it is that it is happening .. unfortunately.

I've had 4-5 Ridgelines and 1 Mesa. All 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor .. accuracy cartridges. None have shot as well as a 700 SPS .243 I bought not long ago shoots .. and it isn't a brilliant shooter, just .. pretty good. As attractive as they are on paper, I'm less and less a Christensen fan.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't know what you have tried though I would not over look contacting customer service. Know this the wrong time of the year for this. Hope you are able to work through this in a timely manner.

Fella over on snipers Hide had a similar issue w a 6mm ARC. Ended up sending the rifle in. in the end he got a new rifle 5 weeks'ish later from them as they were unable to get a number of different barrels to shoot on that action.

Sometimes these are simple things that do not require the rifle to be sent in. Hope this works out well for you.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's a Christensen Arms, what did you expect? Buying a CA is like playing roulette..

I'd suggest a new barrel or buy a tikka..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Send it back and don't screw with it. You might void their warranty if you even adjust the trigger. When you get it back put it on GB and count your blessings. I do not trust the QC at CA>

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rifles are SIMPLISTIC "machines". It's a GOOD day for Oldkchunt,when she doesn't schit her pants. Hint.

Dangle a couple pics,relate some particulars and dots will get connected. Hint.

This Montucky 243 "didn't shoot" either,but had some assembly issues,poor mounting system and a poor scope. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

It did nice things,after the fact,yesterday afternoon. Hint.

Just sayin'...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that the forward base screw in the drill for shortening? What style tap do you use for cleaning threads?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moore
Got a ridge rifle carbon bull barrel 1-10 twist wont group better than 2in help please
Call Customer service.
Find out what they suggest.
Don't do anything that might void whatever warranty they might have.
I have seen CA's drill holes, and then I have seen others look like shotgun patterns at 100 yards.
This is the nature of CA rifles IMO.
I have seen a lot more sucky ones than I have from other brands in the same price range.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The rifle as received,was obviously compromised. Few fhuqking things are as GLARING,as WAM's and a Reupold. Hint.(grin)

As is very often the case,on rifles that "don't shoot",the fore base fastener was yammed into the barrel shank. It's always an immediate warm/fuzzy,when the base is peeled and same is resolved. Threads were crunched,about as good as I've seen. If only again. Hint.

Montuckys are tapped 8-40 and it's no thang to chase the (3) rearmost holes,because they aren't blind. Neither is the fore,but I didn't pull the spout to do same,because it's a Donor(1-10" 243's are Goat Fhuqks). Long way of saying,I chemically cleaned the foremost 8-40 hole,then degreased,before assembling replacement. The issued base fasteners were all too long for said hole and as speculated,it was simply shortened shy of bottoming out. I'd MUCH rather do this,rather than be deprived a coupla threads of fastener engagement. All were gooped with epoxy-esque schit. Hint.

Lapping bar said mounts were straight and that is typical of Montuckys. 700's can be all over the place and fhuqk Winchester. Hint.

Got in a hurry and initially overlooked swapping out the follower and it's spring,for a 700 S/A milled version of same. They improve feed/function geometry,by allowing the cartridge to ride a CH higher,in relation to bolt nose. They also fend weather better,though I do break more than a few springs,due to weather. Hint.

Shoulda grabbed a frame of the trimmed(removed) follower ears on the milled unit,as it allows more travel and unloads pressure on the 4th round,under a closed bolt. Hint.

As standard fair,I simply chose a projectile slated to RPM(87 'Max),kissed it and opted a high load density(48grs of H4831),coupled with concentricity(RCBS Grey Box Comp Seater). A square kiss is 2.730" and things never don't not shoot,when doing same. The powder charge was juggled with case capacity in mind(W/W NSO Virgins here) and 48grs yielded the amount of compression I like. Such things nip ES/SD. Beings it's a Donor,I refrained using Virgin 260 Alpha,which would have yielded better initial headspace control and much better uniformity,as well as getting rid of some slop in the chamber's neck. (1) seating depth and (1) powder charge and I'm there. Which is typical. Hint.

I gave myself 6wks of Rutly November To Remember and will flog on it for same,then it becomes a 7" RPM Speedmire. Nothing to it. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Brokedick Chinese scope buyer still on these threads. LMFAO

You need to see someone and work out your homo erotic fantasies.;

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SchitPants,

Ain't it a fhuqking HOOT,that besides your being a CLUELESS Crying Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for Lying,Crying,Whining and TRYING.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It's a Christensen Arms, what did you expect? Buying a CA is like playing roulette..

That is the best advice. I've seen too many CA rifles, especially the carbon fiber wrapped barrels, that would not shoot well. One of my buddies got real lucky last year with one, but it doesn't have that stupid carbon wrapped barrel. The first bad one I saw was in 2009. That thing was horrendous. So rather than void the warranty, send it back. For what you pay for one, you can buy 2 or 3 Tikka's that will more than likely shoot much better.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That is the best advice. I've seen too many CA rifles, especially the carbon fiber wrapped barrels, that would not shoot well. One of my buddies got real lucky last year with one, but it doesn't have that stupid carbon wrapped barrel. The first bad one I saw was in 2009. That thing was horrendous. So rather than void the warranty, send it back. For what you pay for one, you can buy 2 or 3 Tikka's that will more than likely shoot much better.

+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BullSchitArtist is still trying to get "108's and the like" in her 6x45 upper. Her STUPIDITY never fhuqking disappoints,by doing her best. Hint.

Rifles are SIMPLISTIC "machines". Hint.

Fhguqking LAUGHING!............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Or a Kimber! Lol.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Brokedick Chinese scope buyer still on these threads. LMFAO

You need to see someone and work out your homo erotic fantasies.;

He's got his knickers in knots cause he offered to pimp for Leupold and they told him to get bent. LOL.

Asked the chicoms and they said "sure, what do we have to lose" HINT

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Send it back, let them fix it, sell it then buy a Seekins PH2...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW

Send it back, let them fix it, sell it then buy a Seekins PH2...

Yes, Glen and crew are good folk.
E

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The sheer and utter HELPLESSNESS,is fhuqking HILARIOUS ladies. Hint.

Rifles are SIMPLISTIC "machines". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Take the time to learn how to slug that barrel and you won't need to ask what's wrong with the rifle. You'll see for yourself that the barrel is probably $hit. I've slugged several of their barrels, and found loose and tight spots in every one of them. No surprise that they don't shoot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.