Print Thread
Hop To
#18874585 10/26/23
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just made 35 pounds of Boerwors and I hope it turns out OK because it was quite a bit of work. I used 21 pounds ok elk, 11 pounds of boneless pork shoulder, and 3 pounds of bacon.

The traditional spices of coriander, black pepper, cloves, nutmeg, allspice and then malt vinegar and Worcestershire or however you spell it.

I got it all ground and in baggies in the fridge so when I get back from elk hunting in the morning I'll have to fire up the sausage stuffer.

I also sliced some roasts and backstraps on a disc slicer so I can make some more strip jerky. There's about 25 pounds of slices ready for cure tomorrow night.

Then I have another 30 pounds or so of trim and shoulders from deer thawing out so I can grind it and make chop and form jerky.

I wish we had a decent butcher around here that processed game but at least doing it myself I'm getting good quality. I trim the meat pretty well so it's nice and clean with little other than pure red muscle.

Then I fry up the scraps that are decent but not quite what I want and make a bag of treats for the dogs.

If me and my son both get our cow tags filled I'm in for a lot more work and I'm going to have to give a lot of meat away again. Our 4 freezers our full already.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 10/27/23.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not what I was expecting, thought you had misspelt the second bit.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dumb azz thought it was gonna be about the Boer War in South Africa. Duh 🤪. Burley, could you please enlighten me as to what you made? Sounds like a sausage. Thanks!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I love Boerwors sausage. Definitely a different flavor from any of the TX hill country sausage with Chec/german influence in our area.

Have you bought Eileens book on sausage making? She has some really good tips on sausage making.

Wild game sausage recipes

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's a South African sausage. I made several coils about 3 feet long unwrapped. You cook the whole thing on the grille or preferably over a wood fire. You try not to puncture the casing until you serve it. Once done you just cut a piece off for each person.

Traditionally served with a corn meal porridge called pap and a tomato and onion gravy.

I lived on this stuff for 2 years in the 90's. We used to take the rack out of our oven and set it up on bricks then build a fire under it to cook our boerewors.

I wish I could duplicate the pap here but our corn meal is different somehow.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
It's a South African sausage. I made several coils about 3 feet long unwrapped. You cook the whole thing on the grille or preferably over a wood fire. You try not to puncture the casing until you serve it. Once done you just cut a piece off for each person.

Traditionally served with a corn meal porridge called pap and a tomato and onion gravy.

I lived on this stuff for 2 years in the 90's. We used to take the rack out of our oven and set it up on bricks then build a fire under it to cook our boerewors.

I wish I could duplicate the pap here but our corn meal is different somehow.

Bb

Sounds scrumptious.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I love Boerwors sausage. Definitely a different flavor from any of the TX hill country sausage with Chec/german influence in our area.

Have you bought Eileens book on sausage making? She has some really good tips on sausage making.

Wild game sausage recipes

Hey, thanks for the mention, gsganzer. I love those Czech/German leaning sausages too. But I'm always 'tweaking' them anyway. The Polish one keeps getting more and more garlic, and a new Creole-ish sausage recipe I just worked up is kinda kick-a** in the spice department. Lots of hot smoked & Spanish paprika, garlic and onion. It's a real wake-up call at breakfast....
Eileen
www.riflesandrecipes.com/406-521-0273

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Leenie3freezers
Hey, thanks for the mention, gsganzer. I love those Czech/German leaning sausages too. But I'm always 'tweaking' them anyway. The Polish one keeps getting more and more garlic, and a new Creole-ish sausage recipe I just worked up is kinda kick-a** in the spice department. Lots of hot smoked & Spanish paprika, garlic and onion. It's a real wake-up call at breakfast....
Eileen
www.riflesandrecipes.com/406-521-0273

Eileen,
I recommend your cookbooks all the time and have handed some out as gifts. Probably buy a few for gifts, this year too.

I really want to dive deeper into the sausage making this year. We do a lot of family get togethers throughout the year and sausage is always convenient to have on-hand in the freezer.

Another South African game dish we enjoy making is Bobotie. My recipe is similar to this one, Traditional South African Bobotie but we also add dried apricots and a chopped granny smith apple. I'll see if I can find mine and post it in the recipe section.

Last edited by gsganzer; 10/28/23.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Been thinking about making up a batch of Boerewors next time we make sausage.

Anyone make Merguez? Sounds pretty good too.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Old__School

Originally Posted by Old__School

I had to look up Merguez, it also sounds delicious.

Does anyone have a grinder/stuffer they recommend? It's just for occasional processing and sausage making. Maybe get more use once I hit retirement in a few years.
Looking at a Weston Butcher series #5, but maybe there's something better.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have an LEM 650 watt grinder and it worked well. I also used it too stuff the boerewors. I comes with a stuffer attachment for hog sized casings. I also have a sausage stuffer that I haven't used yet but plan to tomorrow. I'm hoping it has a smaller stuffing attachment because I'm planning on doing snack sticks in sheep casings.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I stuffed a bunch of sheep casings with an lem snack stick seasoned grind last night and it was a pain using those little skinny casings. Now I know how alwaysadouche feels putting a condom on when his sis comes over to his trailer. Hog casings are definitely easier to work with although I'd probably feel more at home making salami.

I put the sheep casing snack sticks in our 2 dehaydrators late last night then caught a few hours sleep and head elk hunting at 5:30 am. I ended up shooting a big cow at about 470 yards on a trot with my new 7prc seekins element and 180 elds. I had to put two in her but got her down. The element and 2-12 chinese worked well on a mid range moving shot.

Then I met a fellow fire member who had his truck stuck and also had a cow down nearby. I found mine and I gutted it then went and towed his big ram Cummings out with my little half ton 94 2 door yukon. Then we found his grandpas cow down not far away. We got it cleaned and got both ours loaded and headed out. My cow was big but theirs was huge.

I got home around 1:00 pm and started working on my elk and forgot about my snack sticks in ghe dehydrators. By the time I found them they were really shriveled up probably like alwaysadouche.

I quizzed my neighbor who came by too look at my elk on how he liked the boerewors I gave him the other night. He said it was OK but pretty spicy. I said it's not hot at all but he meant it just had a lot of spice. He'd never had boerwors before but even I'm wondering if tge recipe had too much worscestershire sauce and maybe too much coriander. Although wors is supposed to have a good coriander taste. I'm sending some to my afrikanner friend in Utah for him to judge then I'll likely tweak the recipe a bit.

I also used a LEM season pack to do 5 pounds of brauts yesterday. I haven't tried them yet but I added some pork shoulder and pork fat so I. Hoping theyre good. I've got a lot of older meat turned into Jerry and sausage the last few weeks and it's a good thing because we've bagged 3 deer and 1 elk in the last few weeks as well. I'm pretty worn out and tired of meat cutting.

The cows cooling out hanging in the garage and then I'll have to start on it soon. My 11 year old has a cow tag in the same area so I'll get him on some Friday. If he shoots as well as he did on deer this year I'll be dealing with another.

Might not be a bad year to be putting away lots of red meat. I may have to learn how to can it because all 4 freezers are full.

Bb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,470
Posts18,508,529
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.