Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Haven't worked in a machine shop in 26 years. Hate to hear Starrett has gone down hill. They were the standard back then. I still have my Dads B&S dial calipers and they just feel like quality.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Over the past 50 years I have used every brand of caliper out there at work and in my own shop. I now don’t use anything except B&S. Nothing else comes close and don’t get me started on digitals. I have at least five sets on my various work benches, all purchased on eBay at $50.00 or less.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
👍

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kp321
Over the past 50 years I have used every brand of caliper out there at work and in my own shop. I now don’t use anything except B&S. Nothing else comes close and don’t get me started on digitals. I have at least five sets on my various work benches, all purchased on eBay at $50.00 or less.

Agree 100%

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have an old Central vernier caliper on my loading bench. These days I need my reading glasses to use it, but it's accurate enough and very reliable.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I was loathe to mention it but a plain vanilla vernier caliper can be claimed to be more accurate over the long run than a dial or digital vernier caliper. Nothing to go out of whack and no battery to run down/die. Trouble is I'll bet not very many folks know how to read one anymore. I have one with the "Mauser" logo engraved on it and use it occasionally for sh*ts and giggles but like Mathman, my eyes aren't up to snuff for easy usage.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I was loathe to mention it but a plain vanilla vernier caliper can be claimed to be more accurate over the long run than a dial or digital vernier caliper. Nothing to go out of whack and no battery to run down/die. Trouble is I'll bet not very many folks know how to read one anymore. I have one with the "Mauser" logo engraved on it and use it occasionally for sh*ts and giggles but like Mathman, my eyes aren't up to snuff for easy usage.

True. Problem with them is they're often very difficult to read and, so, prone to error from misreading.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Years ago, Crossfire tried to give me a 48" vernier caliper. That was a big precision instrument. I think it was Helios

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Glad the vernier was brought up. Yes it takes good eyes. That's why old surveyors always had a magnifying loop hung on their neck. Bullet proof.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Glad the vernier was brought up. Yes it takes good eyes. That's why old surveyors always had a magnifying loop hung on their neck. Bullet proof.

Wayne, Stan Ware had a vintage vernier in his shop with a magnifying loupe....it belonged to his Dad who was also a 'smith.

I thought of you the other day when using the collet guided tap guide you tipped me to on a Kodiak...love it. Thanks again for the tip! cool

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have an inexpensive magnifying desk lamp on my bench to assist reading vernier tools, and a portable one to read the vernier table scales on my Index model 40 mill. I don't know about current Starrett quality, but be careful where you buy from. There are a lot of faked tools out there on various web stores, Mitutoyo especially. I'm certain that all the manufacturers have off-shored or brand labeled at least part of their production for their lower level product lines, and this often enables fakes.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There is an old guy in Tucson who refurbishes and sells all kind of used machine tools. Big warehouse type building and a shop area in the back. I stop in once in a while to look around and talk to him. He is either very knowledgeable or a good BS’er.

I have Starett and an Ames dial indicator that need to be rebuilt. He said it’s not worth it. He said the quality of Chinese and Taiwanese instruments has improved and US made instruments have declined. He said even the cheap Taiwanese indicators are very accurate.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gzig5
...my Index model 40 mill...

I have an ancient Index Super 55. smile Photo shows as found condition.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Step into the 20th century and buy a digital. They will also be just as accurate and last 30 years. Just sayin.

The 20th was so last century.

We're almost a quarter of the way into the 21st century now, but that still won't get me away from the analog measuring devices. Thanks anyway.

Aren’t ya glad we have such a meatball for a poster to correct us on such frivolous bs ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A lot of you guys are griping about being able to read the vernier caliper with those old eyes. Do yourself a favor and buy a good digital. These are 23 years old and still going strong:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Why you old mother fu ckers are always trying to make schidt harder is beyond me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Pride, stubborn pride, what else ?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 45_100
There is an old guy in Tucson who refurbishes and sells all kind of used machine tools. Big warehouse type building and a shop area in the back. I stop in once in a while to look around and talk to him. He is either very knowledgeable or a good BS’er.

I have Starett and an Ames dial indicator that need to be rebuilt. He said it’s not worth it. He said the quality of Chinese and Taiwanese instruments has improved and US made instruments have declined. He said even the cheap Taiwanese indicators are very accurate.

So Harbor Freight calipers suit me fine for handloading ammunition. Machining, different story.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What brings you out from trolling the reloading section, Zerk, Maser, whoever you are?

Originally Posted by anothergun
So Harbor Freight calipers suit me fine for handloading ammunition.

Not AT ALL surprised.

Originally Posted by anothergun
besides I don't shoot much

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Stirring the shi t in your pot

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Is the most enjoyable part of being in this forum

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 1936M71, 71 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.