A
They are good target practice for sure

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rancher in the valley used to occasionally call a buddy and me to help thin out the coyotes. They left the attached garage door open about 6” so the cats could get in and out. One night he awoke to a hell of a ruckus in the garage. He went in there and threw on the light to four coyotes chasing the cats back and forth from under the cars, on the shelves and tool boxes. Stuff flying everywhere. Apparently the wife left the door up a bit too high that evening. We went out a few nights later and used a cat in distress call. Had six coyotes come into that call almost immediately.

We weren’t allowed to shoot the cats but there wasn’t a need as the coyotes kept them in check.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Rancher in the valley used to occasionally call a buddy and me to help thin out the coyotes. They left the attached garage door open about 6” so the cats could get in and out. One night he awoke to a hell of a ruckus in the garage. He went in there and threw on the light to four coyotes in there chasing the cats back and forth from under the cars, on the shelves and tool boxes. Stuff flying everywhere. Apparently the wife left the door up a bit too high that evening. We went out a few nights later and used a cat in distress call. Had six coyotes come into that call almost immediately.

We weren’t allowed to shoot the cats but there wasn’t a need as the coyotes kept them in check.
I would pay just to see that show.🤣🤣

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Rancher in the valley used to occasionally call a buddy and me to help thin out the coyotes. They left the attached garage door open about 6” so the cats could get in and out. One night he awoke to a hell of a ruckus in the garage. He went in there and threw on the light to four coyotes in there chasing the cats back and forth from under the cars, on the shelves and tool boxes. Stuff flying everywhere. Apparently the wife left the door up a bit too high that evening. We went out a few nights later and used a cat in distress call. Had six coyotes come into that call almost immediately.

When he opened the door and hit the lights he said the cats made a dash for the house with the coyotes hot on their trail until they we just a few feet away from him with the cats running between his legs. Both he and the yotes turned tail and ran. Him for the house and the dogs for the garage door. They were hauling ass across the field by the time he returned with the gun.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When he opened the door and hit the lights he said the cats made a dash for the house with the coyotes hot on their trail until they we just a few feet away from him with the cats running between his legs. Both he and the yotes turned tail and ran. Him for the house and the dogs for the garage door. They were hauling ass across the field by the time he returned with the gun.
Too bad there were no security cameras inside to see all of the commotion before someone disturbed them.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Too bad there were no security cameras inside to see all of the commotion before someone disturbed them.

That was around 2005 before those were a thing. It would have been funny as hell to have seen it though. We laughed our butts off just listening to him tell the story and seeing some of the mess.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
'harvested' this one recently. Mini Mag and the old Golden Mountie did their part.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Interrupted my latest feral victim right at its dinner time.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sister-in-law keeps 2 (useless) cats out at the ranch.
Feeds the bastids so much, they won't hunt.
One reason to own a suppressor, I think. smile
Neighbors in town feed feral cats - 10 pounds of feed, or so, free choice.
I have a couple of live traps, catch them, and take them to the ranch - a one-way trip thanks to Mr. Mossberg.
If anyone sees me, and asks - I'm "taking them to the ranch, they need a new home".

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
A Stinger behind the ear and pfft all nine lives gone instantaneously !

It's a little-known fact that all the lives are arranged like Necco wafers between the ears. The right shot angle can break them all at once.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
If you live in the sticks you have to have barn cats, mice and pak rats will over run your vehicle’s , all 4 wheeler’s, tractor’s, RV , anything they can get into, I feed my cats every night when I lock them up in barns. I know mice move at night but can’t have cats out with coyotes roaming, I have a lot of money in these cats but it is nothing compared to taking a feed truck apart to fix all your heating and Ac systems because of rats, I shoot all strange wild cats because of baby turkeys and quail and disease to my cats, you can’t live without them out here and I treat all storage with mothballs too for mice.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
if mothballs worked, why have cats?.....

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to have some around because my old neighbor fed them. He’s dead, and now I’m the old neighbor, but I just feed birds, squirrels, and rabbits… plus the two pigs next door. The cats have left.

All those critters come when I whistle, even the woodpeckers. Funny as schitt….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The old guy that owned the farm I hunted on in the 80s once took a poke at a “fox” with his .22/.250. At the shot, the critter flew into the air and he knew he’d just shot his barn cat. The cat disappeared for a few weeks, but finally came back, with an eye missing.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A true feral cat is something spectacular in a live trap. They turn satanic.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

They don't.

My father used to have an old Jeep Cherokee at their vacation house. In the Winter, he'd cover the Jeep and in the Spring the mice would eat the inside of the Jeep and schit everywhere. So when he'd put away the Jeep for the Winter, he used to put Decon in there to kill the mice. In the Spring there would be dead mice in it and stunk really bad. One Fall he was talking to a lady at the hardware store and she said to put moth balls in there and it would keep the mice out. So he did along with Decon. The following Spring, it was filled with dead mice and the Jeep smelled like dead mice and moth balls. We never got the smell out of it. The Jeep's nickname was "The Mouse Mobile".

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
A true feral cat is something spectacular in a live trap. They turn satanic.
They were satanic before you had them in the trap.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Had a stray that came around 7 years ago. Very wild. Put a bit of food out to keep it interested as we had problems with mice on the porch. She stuck around and took care of the mice. Moved her to a new house we moved to that had a detached garage infested with mice. She sleeps in that garage and keeps the mice out of a 68 Pontiac and tractor I store there.

Now have a second stray that sleeps in a outdoor kennel near the house I use to store firewood, no more mice there either.

Chipmunk population around the house is also way down. Have also found 2 large moles the cats caught and killed but apparently dont want to eat.

When we moved here we used to hear owls calling around the house most nights as apparently there was ample food for them. Now hear them calling from the woods but rarely by the house.

Will take the cats over the rodents.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Have you smelled mothballs?

Yes.

How did you get his little legs apart?

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1234, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,105
Posts18,522,468
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.