Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
My RCBS die set is only marked .357 Magnum rather than .38/.357. I used it once to load some .38 Specials but if I remember correctly I wasn't able to get a good crimp. They were extremely light starting loads so I didn't worry too much about it, but I was thinking I could use my Lee Factory .357 Mag crimping die to give a good roll crimp to any .38 Specials I load with that die set in the future.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I should consider or be aware of. Also, I think the Lee Factory Crimp die will work but I haven't tried it yet so maybe it won't. l can't remember if that is marked to work with .38/.357 or not or if it even matters how it is marked.

I don't load many .38 Special rounds so I haven't bought a dedicated die set for that caliber yet. I was thinking of getting the RCBS .38/.357 set and getting rid of the .357 Mag only set I currently use, but I prefer Lee carbide die sets now.

Thanks for any feedback. I was thinking about loading up a bunch of lightweight target loads to shoot this winter through my SP101 3". Maybe a cast wadcutter or SWC bullet with Win 231 as I have a bunch of that powder.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RCBS includes a die spacer ring with that set. Set for 38 special and put the spacer ring under the die for 357 mag.

Swifty
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I read about that set, but that is not the one I have. Mine loads .357 Mag and I use it all the time, but there is no spacer. I wouldn't mind getting that set if I could find a good deal on it, but I favor Lee over RCBS these days and if I get a new set I'll get the Lee 4 die carbide set for .38 Special.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Really I think all you need is a Lee Factory Crimp Die, you should be able to do everything else the dies you have now with only minor adjustments.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Swifty52
RCBS includes a die spacer ring with that set. Set for 38 special and put the spacer ring under the die for 357 mag.

^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said......use spacer & no die adjustments needed

The Lee FCD was made in heaven for auto pistol hand loaders

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh, yeah, Midway has those .135 spacers for a bit over $6. Probably may other places carry them too, they are made by Redding.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I trimmed my cases to 1.145" and when I ran them through the full-length sizer it seemed to work like normal. I could feel it reforming the brass and it ejected the spent primers without any problem.

The problem I ran into was with the expander die. The cases weren't long enough for the expander to flare the case mouth. I screwed the die down until it contacted the shell holder and couldn't go further. Then I screwed the expander down as far as it would go. It seemed to work a little, but just barely, when I put a doubled-over piece of paper under the case to take up the vertical play in the shell holder and raise the case as much as possible. It barely flared the case mouth, but must have been enough as the cases did not buckle when I seated the bullets.

The Lee Factory Crimp die I have is actually labeled .38 / .357 so that worked great to apply a light crimp.

I loaded these 10 rounds using Berry's Copper Plated 125 grain Target Hollow Points with 3.8 grains of Win 231 and Winchester Small Pistol Primers.

I found a Lee .38 Special Expander Die from MidwayUSA on amazon so I went ahead and ordered that. I think with the addition of that die I'll be all set for loading any kind of .38 Specials.

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Another suggestion for flaring issues.

Try a universal expander die. I love them. Lee makes a good one.
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

I also like the universal decapper.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.