Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is wrong with my Browning BLR '81? This is one of the old steel short-frame models in .308. Occasionally the bolt won't fully close and lock up. This occurs with an empty rifle or a loaded rifle. At completely random times when running the lever up the bolt will stop about 1/4" short of fully closing. It seems hard stuck, back the bolt back about an inch and run it forward again, and it seats and locks up as it should. The rifle is clean and very lightly lubed. There isn't any sort of gunk preventing the bolt from going forward and the lug recesses are clean. The gear at the back by the trigger group seems intact, no broken teeth that I can see. Thoughts appreciated!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know they can develop timing issues and only certain 'smith's can work on them. My bil ran into that with his blr

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That is exactly what I am worried about.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Easy fix by a gunsmith. Might be the gears are gunked up...

Last edited by WStrayer; 11/09/23.
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If the gears are gunked up it is down inside where I can't see it. The lever runs super smooth, as always, and not like there is anything in the gears themselves. It feels like just as the rotating bolt head starts to turn to engage the lug recesses in the receiver it jams tight. Back it up an inch or so and try again and it goes right into battery and locks up as it should. It is very random when it chokes, you can work the lever 15 times and it is normal and runs fine and then it balks once. Start again and it might go 10 times as it should, or 20 times, then out of the blue it will balk and not work properly. It is strange.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had the same thing happen to mine,gunsmith said it was a timing
problem,he fixed it,but i never trusted it after that and sent it down the road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP, I'm just wondering - but why couldn't you put "What is wrong with my Browning BLR?" Im the subject line? Click bait attempt?

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Geesh, dude seriously? I simply didn't think a long title in the subject line would fit. Thanks for the input, I'll consider myself duly chastised.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Geesh, dude seriously? I simply didn't think a long title in the subject line would fit. Thanks for the input, I'll consider myself duly chastised.
At least a "What's wrong with my BLR?" would work.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

OK, gotcha. Can I get by with a warning this time or are you gonna write me a citation Officer Triggernosis? Again, thanks for your productive input into the thread. I take it you have no idea what's wrong with my BLR?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duplicate post

Last edited by Triggernosis; 11/10/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

OK, gotcha. Can I get by with a warning this time or are you gonna write me a citation Officer Triggernosis? Again, thanks for your productive input into the thread. I take it you have no idea what's wrong with my BLR?
Actually, I probably do.
I have had the same issue with two of my BLR's - a .223 and a .243.
Are you shooting handloads or factory ammo? In my cases, I had to bump the shoulders of the brass back more than the "standard" specification. Brownings are known to have really tight chambers and my theory is that the brass has to be "squished down" a bit more than usual.
If you're using factory ammo, just try another brand - it may be sized just a squuee bit smaller and work fine.

It's not a timing issue, else the rounds would never chamber properly. They don't jump in and out of time.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It will do this with an empty chamber, just cycling an empty gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will do this with an empty chamber, just cycling an empty gun.
Oh. Gotcha. Well that doesn't sound right.
Send it to Browning and see what they say.
I still don't believe it's a timing issue. More than likely a chunk of metal or something in there. Or a burred tooth on one of the gears.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Probably where it is headed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably where it is headed.
👍
Please report back what they find.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey OP, did you ever figure this out?

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't fooled with it yet. Hunting season and the holidays are keeping me busy. I'll mess with this when things slow down after the turn of the year. The Browning Service Center, Art's Gun Shop, and Mid West Guns are within a couple of hours' drive from my home so I have plenty of help close by.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't fooled with it yet. Hunting season and the holidays are keeping me busy. I'll mess with this when things slow down after the turn of the year. The Browning Service Center, Art's Gun Shop, and Mid West Guns are within a couple of hours' drive from my home so I have plenty of help close by.
Understand.
If Arts gun shop was near me I would probably be broke.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.