Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mine is just getting rolling. It's been open but I was focused elsewhere. I'm hoping the weather holds and I can get out quite a bit now. I was out today. I was set up on the wrong side of a sandbar so the birds were past before I ever saw them. After 3 flocks, I moved and then shockingly, no more flocks. I will get them tomorrow.

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Today was the first day I could get out and be serious. Picked up 4 ducks. No real goose migration yet.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Opened here in South zone of Texas yesterday, surprising number of birds have found there way down already.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Had a good first week here in Ohio with local birds. Hunting small farm ponds and swamps. Woodies, mallards, and several geese.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Shot my first shots Sunday. Buddy and j were each 1 shy of a limit. All Teal besides one redhead hen.

My dog didn't do as great as I had hoped, but it was her first duck hunt.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We are a couple of weeks into season here in the south zone of Texas, a couple of nice little cold fronts brought us some good ducks, cannot complain clients shot a mixed bag of redheads, bluebills, and teal last time out, hopefully it only gets better as we progress, we have a split after T Day Sunday so that usually builds up the numbers a bit, but for the first season no complaints here on the coast.

Last edited by captjohn; 11/16/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Between my son and I we are at over twenty for the season. This is just jump shooting on the local creek. Been at it since the middle of October. The weather patterns this year have that creek loaded with Teal, which we have never seen before.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hasn't opened yet.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
our season in arkansas opens tomorrow for ducks. we have some geese here on the grand prairie but few ducks. has been too warm up north to drive many ducks down to arkansas. additionally, we have had little rain, so most areas near stuttgart/dewitt have nothing flooded UNLESS the landowner has turned on his wells. warm here, which always means poor duck numbers and even poorer hunting.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had a nice morning two days ago, filled a (3 goose) limit by 8:30 with Cacklers. Dog did extremely well and we were both very happy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Set up for the first time Sunday morning on a WMA. Our season has been open for weeks, but it's been warm and we did elk camp this year. The promise of weather turned into a full blown blizzard at first light. The local mallards avoided my set, but I got a brace of GW teal before the dekes were just buried in snow. I also brought a young dog, and when she found the cripple in some tall reeds, I figured the day was a success. I turned her loose to frolic while I cleaned off the dekes, and she came back to me with a bird in her mouth. I was preparing to reprimand her for messing with our bag when I realized that it was a live coot she had caught! I wanted to warm up after getting soaked, so we went for a walk in the fields. She probably put up 5 or 6 roosters, plus a couple hens. I got my limit and worked with her on steadiness on the others. Great start to the 'duck' season!

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Was back in the goose field this morning. Limited by 8am. Even the oldster (12 yo) got a goose!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Jumped a pond a few times while deer hunting. Twice I got single Gaddys. Once I got a widgeon double and the dog did much much better. 3 great water retrieves, including chasing a swimming cripple without hesitation.

Last edited by firstcoueswas80; 11/26/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by longarm
Was back in the goose field this morning. Limited by 8am. Even the oldster (12 yo) got a goose!

Cackling Goose?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My season started slow, then died, then got warm so nothing was flying. I didn't even go for awhile because I wasn't seeing anything. Then I started again when the temps dropped and my waders ripped right across the right boot. I was like heck with it, I haven't been seeing jack squat anyway. I'll pheasant hunt the rest of the year, I don't have to get up early that way. Today some mallards flew right over my head while I was pheasant hunting. Wonder if I could patch those waders and get a couple more trips...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
Originally Posted by longarm

Cackling Goose?

Well that's what I'm calling it. Sent a pic to a buddy who said it's an Aleutian Cackling Goose due to the white ring around its neck. I dunno. Anyway it ate just fine..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
First 10 days were OK, not good, definitely not great. Beat up a lot of small ducks on a few days. Ate good, drank good and had a good time catching up with all my duck camp buddies.

We put out a mondo spread at one blind. 55 dozen decoys. We'll see how that progresses?

Biding my time, doesn't get good until after Christmas anyway.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
55 dozen?! shocked shocked

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Killed a two man limit last week. Including a drake wood duck. First one I've ever seen, and the Airedale retrieved it. That was super cool!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Son and I are over 50 for the season. Still just jump shooting on the creek. And the Teal are still hanging out. Seeing many different species this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,610
Posts18,473,854
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.