Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anyone here afraid of ammo shortages especially .22 lr? I’m kind of concerned it could hit all of the sudden.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I ( mostly) learned my lesson during the 22LR
"shortage" and various other manufactured-by-hoarding
shortages, and the various discontinued components
by the manufacturers that I've experienced.

If you find something that works for you in the
manner that you want it to, buy enough that
you won't have to resupply during your lifetime.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Supplies are very good right now. You should be able to buy a lifetime supply if you are worried.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I was camped at a nice primitive camp site in Whiskey Park north of Steamboat Springs. It was a peaceful place with a small creek and just the singing birds for company. It was the last day of the archery season and I was ready to go home the next day after a good hunt but no meat. Then the peace was broke with a small group of campers moved in just up the hill from me, just out of site, they didn't know I was there but maybe they didn't care. How ever they did have a number of bricks of 22 ammo.

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang,,,, for 3 F_king hours, non stop. I got tired of it, I had my 44 Rem Mag with speed loaders, I started firing as fast I could (with ear plugs of coarse). I think they got the message, they stopped the bang bang stuff.

I wonder if those people may want some of that wasted 22 ammo back these days.

Last edited by MickinColo; 11/04/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barbarosa
Anyone here afraid of ammo shortages especially .22 lr? I’m kind of concerned it could hit all of the sudden.

Not one bit. If you are, do something about it. Never assume that you’ll always be able to waltz into any old Western Auto or Walmart and buy whatever you want. We’ve already seen that notion disproved a few times.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’m not worried at all. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am anxious for Gunwizard to ring in. He doesn't believe people should have enough to get them through shortages.

At my current burn rate, I have enough 22LR to last me until I am about 403 years old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What are you afraid of and why are you afraid?

If you are really concerned, my recommendation is to figure out what your average annual usage is and then go out and buy 10x that number to use as a cushion. The mechanized infantryman's mantra of better to have and not need than to need and not have works for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to maintain 10K rounds. Right now that’s easy to do as everyone has stocked shelves around here.
Figure out what your comfort level is and stock up if you aren’t there. No need to be worried.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well with all the global warfare and the W.H. stopping the sales of Lake City ammo to the private sector then the sales of Vista Outdoors I started thinking I should stock up.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I always check out the ammo supply at our local Walmart and rural King and occasionally add to my supply, just bought another ammo can so it needs stocked. It's been a long time since I have seen the shelves stocked full the way they are around here. I would bet within a year we are going to see a created shortage again.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
.223/5.56 prices got bumped very recently thanks to the Vista announcement re LC, as noted. Maybe same for 7.62. Most everything else seems stable or moving up slightly. Prices on .22rf and 9mm are about as low as you could expect, given Biden-flation.

Anyway, stock up on .22rf if you're worried about it. I'm like Paul........OK, maybe only enough to age 356. Only thing I could conceivably "need" to restock is Quiet Segmented. Rats keep breeding. Endless, really.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been a while since I took inventory, but since I’m always trying out different stuff, there’s a lot of also-rans in my tub, fine for pistols and practice. I keep an eye out for deals on stuff I know will be decently accurate and reliable, and pick up a brick or two when I see them. Same applies to 9s and .223, which I generally don’t load for, though I can at need or when I want something special. I also pick up target loads for clays since I typically burn 2-3 boxes a week.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Smart people always have about a 10 year supply squirreled away

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am anxious for Gunwizard to ring in. He doesn't believe people should have enough to get them through shortages.

At my current burn rate, I have enough 22LR to last me until I am about 403 years old.

Gunwizard chose the angry PM route. Apparently there's a difference between a "need" and building a stockpile that will get you through a shortage. If you happen to score a really good deal (such as 1/3 price on 13, 50 round boxes of RWS Target Rifle) during a "shortage" don't start a thread about how lucky you got. It'll net someone stalking you around the entire sight and berating you for it...I guess because it wasn't a need, but rather building a stockpile. One is good and one is really really bad. LOLOLOL

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well with all the global warfare and the W.H. stopping the sales of Lake City ammo to the private sector then the sales of Vista Outdoors I started thinking I should stock up.

Red flags & you recognize them. Good. 2/3's of the primers & 3/4's of the rimfire made in the US soon to be owned by a foreign company is unnerving to say the least.

Take inventory, adjust as needed.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I always try to pick up a a brick once every 4 months or so just to keep me In business

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’ve got 4000 rounds of .22 , I don’t think I’ll run out.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelenman

You are in deep schidt with Gunwizard. Stockpiling, keeping others from having access to the ammo and sharing about it here is verboten. Gunwizard stalks me all over the forum and sends me angry PMs because I bought 650 rounds of high quality 22LR at a deep discount and shared my success here. He's a reseller and just pissed that he couldn't make a profit off of the ammo.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Spandex must be too tight shutting off blood flow to his brain, doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Spandex must be too tight shutting off blood flow to his brain, doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

I am flattered by your fixation on what I wear.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Guy's amazing, he can tell what you're thinking. Wrong again dumb p hag.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Right now 22lr is well stocked and still reasonably priced.

Anybody worried about the future of rimfire availability should simply purchase some..

Maybe even, a bunch (gasp!!)

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Anybody worried about the future of rimfire availability should simply purchase some..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guy's amazing, he can tell what you're thinking. Wrong again dumb p hag.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Too p hucking to stupid to realize that stockpiling is the reason for shortages and resultant high prices. Too busy posting childish cartoons, carry on if that's what floats your boat.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/06/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a stupid amount of "everyday quality" .22 rimfire ammo garnered through a lifetime of "buying more than I need at the moment" (but tempered by availability of money more than desire). Still, I doubt I'll run out during my remaining lifetime. My issue is with premium match ammo. I take part in a lot of single shot rimfire competition and my best rifles prefer Eley Tenex by far so I kinda struggle keeping them fed. My stash of Tenex is frightfully low and will be replenished before next year's shooting season in dribs and drabs - I simply can't afford to buy $200/brick ammo in case lots. If I could then the UPS driver would hate me on a regular basis(!), so I'll buy it in bricks and hope that there's still some from the same lot left a month later when I bite the bullet and buy another brick. So it goes.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I shoot a lot of 22 LR and I am quite a distance away from any place that sells 22 ammo, so whenever I am in a Murdoch's / Sportsmans / Walmart, etc I pick up a few boxes or a brick depending on price of course.

By doing it that way I always keep a good supply on hand without feeling like I am putting out a lot of money. It's just easier to justify spending $20-$40 rather than buying case lots. Although I do keep an eye out for good sales and will buy case lots if there is free shipping.

Recently I have laid in a good supply of Aguila Super Extra hollow points for $14.99 for 250 ea. Why would anyone not buy at those prices.

As I said earlier - given the current availability and pricing of 22 ammo I will not feel sorry for anyone who doesn't stock up now and whines when the shortages hit again.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Too p hucking to stupid to realize that stockpiling is the reason for shortages and resultant high prices. Too busy posting childish cartoons, carry on if that's what floats your boat.

Too stupid to realize that not accumulating a reasonable stock of ammo will result in you posting threads wondering where to get 257 Roberts ammo. lololol. I don't pay high prices, and I don't recommend that others do it either. That's why when I can scoop up 13 fifty round boxes of RWS Target Rifle for 1/3 the normal price during a "shortage," I do it. And I am the dumbazz.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
NO rationalizing being a selfish clod no matter what "justification" you think up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover

I shoot a lot of 22 LR and I am quite a distance away from any place that sells 22 ammo, so whenever I am in a Murdoch's / Sportsmans / Walmart, etc I pick up a few boxes or a brick depending on price of course.

By doing it that way I always keep a good supply on hand without feeling like I am putting out a lot of money. It's just easier to justify spending $20-$40 rather than buying case lots. Although I do keep an eye out for good sales and will buy case lots if there is free shipping.

Recently I have laid in a good supply of Aguila Super Extra hollow points for $14.99 for 250 ea. Why would anyone not buy at those prices.

As I said earlier - given the current availability and pricing of 22 ammo I will not feel sorry for anyone who doesn't stock up now and whines when the shortages hit again.

drover

You know damn well that the whining will begin anew the next time, guaran-fugging-teed.

“Those damn Boomer-prepper-hoarder-speculators did it again!”

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
WWJD??

She's gone shootin..
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Ammo is pretty plentiful around here lately. I don't shoot much rimfire anymore, but I pick up a couple boxes of CCI SV every payday. Building up a good stock to feed the old beast SS my boy has been getting into shooting this year.

I've got enough Thunderchickens on hand to feed my 9422 for the rest of my life, so I quit buying those a while back.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
WWJD??

I know what I would do. - At that price every box on the shelf would be in my cart.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WWJD??

I know what I would do. - At that price every box on the shelf would be in my cart.

drover

If you did that, WWGWD? Call you a selfish clod.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Two selfish clods, think only of themselves no consideration of others nor short supply caused price increases.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
WWJD??

drover

I was powerless and could not resist🤷🏻‍♂️

She's gone shootin..
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would've called a couple buddies whose tastes are like mine and if they said "I want some too" then I would've bought as much as the wallet would bear and then parcel it out. If no one else wanted in on it then I would've bought a bunch and left the rest for the next guy - but if the remainder were still there a few days later then all bets are off.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As posed numerous times here and elsewhere I choose to buy what I choose to buy. Who's lost on this??? A funny...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Two selfish clods, think only of themselves no consideration of others nor short supply caused price increases.

So! Go out and buy buy buy, don't get caught with your pants down again, storage will be coming again, bet on it

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
After the hemorrhoid in the Middle East flared up and some goat [bleep] there called for global jihad the 223 / 5.56 and 9MM was gone locally for a few weeks.

Even when things were halfway decent before FJB there were shortages. One crazy event might make it all evaporate again.

If it’s available now, who cares how much anyone buys. Same with TP or anything else. It’s not like anyone is waiting in line to buy what’s available each morning at the stores like a few years ago. If it gets to that again, the re-sellers and hoarders can F off and leave it for those that really need some. It’s like the housing situation. It’s not young people or even older people’s fault they came into the market to buy their first house when prices are high and the rates suck. People get into this at different times and shouldn’t be looked down upon because of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Words to the wise:

Make hay while the sun shines.

Save for a rainy day.

A .22 saved is a .22 earned.

Ammoseek.com is showing prices of 4.3 cents per round for Armscor, although shipping will bite you on those. Looking at free shipping only, Federal Champion can be had for 5.7 cpr, Automatch at 5.9. Various CCI types and Norma Tac-22 are 6 to 8 cpr. Even with inflation those are lower prices than two years ago.

You know the difference between sex and .22 ammo?

It's possible to have enough sex. (Okay, that's debatable, but you get the idea.)

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The link I posted above has Aguila for 2.09/50. That price is very hard to beat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have enough 22 to last more than my life time

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know a whole bunch of selfish clods who have earned a special place on GW's schidt list. No Christmas cards for you this year.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Had anyone done business with this Co.? Hard to google.

Liked Aguila SV in the past, wouldn't mind having a case of it laid back.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I like to maintain 10K rounds. Right now that’s easy to do as everyone has stocked shelves around here.
Figure out what your comfort level is and stock up if you aren’t there. No need to be worried.

OK? But wtf you gonna do next weekend? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo

Some red flags. No phone number. No address. Not much history to be found on google.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

If you’re concerned, it’s your fail. Fix your insecurities by stocking up. It’s all available.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

drover

Bout 2 yrs back at one of the flea markets I often attend, guy had those same hollow points for $2.49 per box of 50. I bought 5 and when I seen how they shot in my lever 22 I went back the next week and bought the brick he had left. $5 per 100 was a good price especially during a time when everybody acted like anything shooting related was the last that was ever gonna be made.

They shoot like a laser in that lever, but interestingly enough are ho-hum in a savage that typically shoots well.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

OK? But wtf you gonna do next weekend? Mb

I just don't shoot that much. I cash in my CC points every month for 1-2K rounds, maintaining at least a 10K stock at home. It works for me. Lay in whatever you need for you.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Some red flags. No phone number. No address. Not much history to be found on google.

I also looked and not much to be said about them on the innanets…

I did send them an email asking about shipping to CA and they responded rather quickly

She's gone shootin..
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Like an idiot , I ordered some ammo from them. Also sent an email and got a pretty fast response

It is rare that I order online, thought I did some research and completely missed the warning signs. We shall see

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JDK
Like an idiot , I ordered some ammo from them. Also sent an email and got a pretty fast response

It is rare that I order online, thought I did some research and completely missed the warning signs. We shall see

Keep us posted please.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Will do.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK

How did you pay?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I found that link on another forum, AR15.com. Orders were filled and quickly. They also have a good deal onfederal SRP and SPP. The Aguila is back to regular price today

Last edited by stratton; 11/08/23. Reason: updated $
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JDK

How did you pay?

Debit card. Asked the CU to watch and they are. Hoping for the best and I feel stupid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to see an ammo shortage, start talking about an ammo shortage. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The First Rule of Fight Club...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by stratton
The link I posted above has Aguila for 2.09/50. That price is very hard to beat.

Their price is back up to $3.79 today. They also had a 10 percent off code. Snooze 'ya lose.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

Their price is back up to $3.79 today. They also had a 10 percent off code. Snooze 'ya lose.
Yep…if they shipped to CA there would be a bunch on its way here

She's gone shootin..
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The deal is back on at Ammoplanet.com. 2.09 per 50 for Aguila standard velocity

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks, going to order some / deal was back on so I ordered 80 boxes. With the discount code and shipping ( very reasonable ) it came to 2.25 a box

Last edited by Barbarosa; 11/09/23. Reason: Pricing info
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Has anybody that ordered from ammoplanet gotten their order yet, or maybe a tracking number?

Not trying to imply anything, just curious.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I did finally get a tracking #, they should be good to go.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You are in deep schidt with Gunwizard. Stockpiling, keeping others from having access to the ammo and sharing about it here is verboten. Gunwizard stalks me all over the forum and sends me angry PMs because I bought 650 rounds of high quality 22LR at a deep discount and shared my success here. He's a reseller and just pissed that he couldn't make a profit off of the ammo.

If it's on the shelf, you can afford to buy it, and you aren't limited to the number of boxes that you can buy, then buy all you want. If another person fails to plan ahead, that's his/her problem. I bought 6k rounds of Eley Champion awhile back 'cause it was available and it was on sale. My purchase didn't put a dent in the store's inventory. Likewise, all of the local WalMarts that sell ammo have plenty of it for the common cartridges and enough variety such nobody has to stay home from the range or the field for lack of ammo.

I feel bad for guys who want to buy ammo that is cataloged, but virtually orphaned and seldom seen on dealers' shelves these days.

Proper prior planning, it works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If it's on the shelf, you can afford to buy it, and you aren't limited to the number of boxes that you can buy, then buy all you want. If another person fails to plan ahead, that's his/her problem. I bought 6k rounds of Eley Champion awhile back 'cause it was available and it was on sale. My purchase didn't put a dent in the store's inventory. Likewise, all of the local WalMarts that sell ammo have plenty of it for the common cartridges and enough variety such nobody has to stay home from the range or the field for lack of ammo.

I feel bad for guys who want to buy ammo that is cataloged, but virtually orphaned and seldom seen on dealers' shelves these days.

Proper prior planning, it works.

What he said👆🏻

No excuse for getting caught short the next time except extreme poverty. Forgo that double no-fun habenero-pumpkin latte for a few weeks and lay in what you’ll need, in dribs and drabs or chunks, while the gettin’s good.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Has anybody that ordered from ammoplanet gotten their order yet, or maybe a tracking number?

Not trying to imply anything, just curious.

Ordered 11/7, received tracking number 11/9, and supposed to be delivered tomorrow (11/16) by FedEx. From Texas.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Final follow up

Package arrived today. All was there. I’m always hesitant to provide a blanket GTG but I have what I ordered in a total of 10 days

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JDK
Final follow up

Package arrived today. All was there. I’m always hesitant to provide a blanket GTG but I have what I ordered in a total of 10 days

Cool, legit company it seems. The ammo went off sale then back on, plus an out of stock for a day or so. But it seems to be back at $2.09 as of a few hours ago. Good stuff, get ya some.

I decided today, for an hour or 2 at least that I should shoot up some of the 20K plus surplus I have, but would have no qualms about having a case or 2 of this stuff sent to me at this price.

It all could go down in price more.............. or go sky high in a days time. You know what I mean.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I sent a buddy this link and he ordered a case. Received shipping information a few days later

If people aren’t jumping on $21 a brick .22 then forever shut your pie holes about shortages

She's gone shootin..
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rumor on the other forum is that if you create an account, add however many you want to your cart and then close out of the website, they will send a code for 10-20% off of the sale price after a day or so

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Target Sports gets my 22LR orders...

Aguila Super Extra copper plated runs well in most 22's I have

Walther P22's seem to prefer CCI Mini's

So if myself or anyone one else wishes to keep a 'lifetime plus inventory' on hand so be it

Need/want it & it's available buy it !

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/agu...er-plated-lead-hp-1b221118-p-110824.aspx

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shortages only occur for people who don't prepare when stuff is plentiful and cheap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dassa
Shortages only occur for people who don't prepare when stuff is plentiful and cheap.

And desperation created by failing to have needful things on hand enables scalpers, speculators, and predatory merchants……., and inspires poor old retirees to become part of the Masquerade Brigade, doing quick clothing changes in Walmart parking lots in hopes of turning a fast buck or two, when they should be sitting in McDonalds drinking coffee and using free wifi.

That doesn’t mean having giant piles of stuff that you’ll never use; that’s stupid IMO, but simply keeping ahead of your consumption so sudden market situations don’t catch you empty-handed. Doing that while supplies are plentiful won’t cause shortages anymore than the folks who go to the range and blast away willy-nilly at 7-yard cardboard zombies. There will be a certain amount of ammo produced every year, to be used, stockpiled, hoarded, or wasted; your dough, your choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut

So if myself or anyone one else wishes to keep a 'lifetime plus inventory' on hand so be it

During the shortage i acquired some of this and for gopher shooting it works as well as CCI Mini Mag, it is as accurate and hits as hard. I have used it in my CZ 452, Tikka T1x, and Cooper 57M, while it can't be considered match grade when using it any gopher within 100 yards is in trouble.

IMO it is the best bargain ammo available for hunting / plinking.

drover

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Drover..I agree with you on the Aguila being the best value going on these days.

On a whim I bought some of the standard velocity and it shot remarkably well in several rifles. A few flyers here and there to be expected but it turned in some eye opening groups

This is when targetsports had if for 220 a case and I laid into a supply

If I had the opportunity to shoot at a plethora of little furry vermin like some of you do I’d most likely have a pallet of the speedier hollow point offering

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The good prices on .22, 9mm, and even some .223 means it’s not selling as fast as they hoped or expected. Supply and demand works in both directions. Don’t be surprised if the industry takes “corrective action”.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shotshell prices hit bottom awhile back and are moving up again under inflationary pressure. Sure, you can make a case you're buying with cheaper dollars, but.....

.223/5.56 prices have increased quite a bit in the last few weeks. Not sure about cause and effect, but politics correlates.

TS has CCI-SV (my benchmark .22rf) at 7cents/pop shipped. Might still be a trace of downward motion, but if you're holding your breath till it reaches 5 cents again suspect you'll turn blue. JMO, of course.

Stocking up in times of good availability is prudent. Most of us have lived through several of these supply crunches. We've been in this last one about three years, and we're not "out". Why wouldn't a sapient put in a 5 year supply of whatever they use?

Don't understand how anyone can make moral insinuations, deciding for another what constitutes "hoarding". My guess is most here have never sold anything at profit during a crunch. If anything they've probably bailed less fortunate people out at break-even. Or at loss. Kids, especially.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to shoot a ton of CenterX, Tenex and SK standard +.

I don’t shoot matches for money anymore, so I’ve found I can get by with all my hunting, plinking and target needs with Norma Tac, CCI SV and Minimags.

I don’t have a rifle or pistol that won’t shoot at least one of those well.

I stocked heavily on the black box Tac when they were having big sales a while back, same with Minimags. I doubt myself or my son will run dry. Probably be smart to go ahead and do the same with SV at current prices and availability.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut

During the shortage i acquired some of this and for gopher shooting it works as well as CCI Mini Mag, it is as accurate and hits as hard. I have used it in my CZ 452, Tikka T1x, and Cooper 57M, while it can't be considered match grade when using it any gopher within 100 yards is in trouble.

IMO it is the best bargain ammo available for hunting / plinking.

drover

I couldn't remember how well the Aquila SE shot except that they were within "minute of gopher".
I just went out and did two 5 shot groups with my Tikka at 50 yards and both groups were 3/4" - not bragging good but certainly adequate for gophers.

I then did two 5 shot groups at the same target with Mini Mags and they were closer to 1/2" - not much difference for critter shooting either will work just fine.

drover

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was wondering whether rimfire ammo would become scarce when this last "shortage" started. Never noticed any difference in supply (plenty) or price (pretty much pre-Obama) at the stores in my part of Montana.

From this I concluded that most of the people caught "short" during the Obama shortage had learned their lesson, and had enough on hand to keep them shooting for quite a while.

I have enough on hand for my wife and I to keep shooting our average yearly consumption for a while....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If there's a shortage now, blame me. I'm trying to get a Savage Mark II to put 3 bullets in the same zip code and it's not happening. But I keep trying and that's why they are diverting sales to my area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, if it does, I’m ready for it, and if worse comes to worse, I have enough Hornet stuff to carry me through; lots of cheap bullets in the 40-46gr range.

I also just jumped back into the .22 mag with a vengeance, an AR upper and a S&W pistol. The AR shoots the Federal 50gr at 1530 really well and can fill in for edible game, while the 30gr hotties should ‘splode varmints pretty well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, I was one of those people caught short-handed during the Obama shortages. Even remember scouring the internet and on this forum of how to download 223rem close to 22lr-22mag levels and learned about Titegroup and Trailboss. I'm stocked either way, lol!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Poor gunwizard. It must be traumatizing for her to read this.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

She's gone shootin..
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
….. hoarder

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's like a Savage starter pack

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It's bad enough that you hoard, but to come here and "brag" about it is downright shameful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That stuff shoots pretty well for me, and smells like Eley!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by robertham1
….. hoarder

Prudent - def: acting with or showing care and thought for the future.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That stuff shoots pretty well for me, and smells like Eley!

The Eley smell is because they Eley priming which is where the odor came from. The boxes were marked - Eley Prime.
I think they may have gone to another compound though because it has been a few years since I have seen any marked that way.

drover

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knew that, but gotta say, it sure smells like Eley…

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] John, if it does, I’m ready for it, and if worse comes to worse, I have enough Hornet stuff to carry me through; lots of cheap bullets in the 40-46gr range.

I also just jumped back into the .22 mag with a vengeance, an AR upper and a S&W pistol. The AR shoots the Federal 50gr at 1530 really well and can fill in for edible game, while the 30gr hotties should ‘splode varmints pretty well.[/quote]

Same here with the .22 Magnum! In fact finally decided to shoot some of my supply this spring on gophers (Richardson's ground squirrels) because my Ruger American groups almost as well as my CZ .17 HMR.

But during the Obama rimfire shortage I also published an article about handloading various centerfire rounds to duplicate rimfire ballistics--including a cast-bullet load for the .22 Hornet. Included this info in Chapter 8 of the The Big Book of Gun Gack II, "Reduced Loads," which includes an easy, cheap cast-bullet load for the 22 Hornet, along with loads for the .17 Hornady Hornet that duplicate the .17 HMR.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The rest of my post didn’t seem to work but I posted that pic to show my buddies order did ship and arrive.

Oddly it was 100 individual boxes instead of a case of 10 bricks but 🤷🏻‍♂️

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, believe me, I’ve read both the magazine and book versions of that more than once!

You sent me some of your cast bullets along with some Hornet brass you sold me, but I’ve yet to futz with them, however I did come up with a good load, 9gr of H110 with the Speer 46gr FP, for hopefully turkeys and such.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In addition to prudently keeping a comfortable stash of .22LR ammo in Chez Gnoahhh I'm pretty well set up to keep shooting .22's far into the future if RF ammo disappeared overnight and if I managed to shoot up "The Stash" - bullet molds (around 20 just in .22 diameters), and an obscene supply of small pistol primers and pistol powders. Not a conscious hedge against an apocalypse, rather something I've had fun doing for nearly a half-century now anyway. My collection of .22CF rifles will continue to bark long after the shooting ranges have gone silent.

On top of that, there's the Stevens 44 .22LR sitting here for which I fitted an auxiliary centerfire breech block (newly manufactured, courtesy of Lee Shaver for around $200). That allows the use of .22LR centerfire cartridge cases which I make in my Unimat lathe. Admittedly tedious and time consuming, but what's time to a pig? A handful of brass, some primers, a bullet mold +scrap lead, and several pinches of Bullseye powder, and voila!- the old gun is back up and running if the "shortages" become permanent and rimfire ammo becomes a distant memory. (Plus the stuff shoots decidedly accurately as well.) I keep a few thousand empty primed .22LR rimfire cases gathering dust in a corner for much the same reason.

Boils down to either crying about cost/availability or doing something about it for yourself. Ain't nobody gonna do it for you. Think outside the box, if continued shooting is important to you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not worried ……been slowly building a small inventory since the late ‘70’s!

Anyone not preparing and has no 22LR ammo…..has no one to blame but themselves! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Local farm store North 40 had Aguila for $1.98 for box of 50 and 9mm for .22.
Yesterday one day only I stopped by for other items. The line was crazy at 7 am

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

> learn to prepare for shortages , Looney`s learned years ago stock pile !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb

Anyone not preparing and has no 22LR ammo…..has no one to blame but themselves! memtb

Then there are those that think this created the shortage. I did the same thing and bought tons of it when it was plentiful, making me wonder how that contributed to any shortage…

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

if you are concerned, then act now.

Sam......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Then there are those that think this created the shortage. I did the same thing and bought tons of it when it was plentiful, making me wonder how that contributed to any shortage…
If you do it steadily over 40 or 50 years, no impact on shortages. Its the people who over react to media reports are what causes it

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Our local farm store has been selling 22lr for 2.99 a 50 pack.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
ammoplanet.com has the aguila at 2.09/50 again.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Anybody who isn’t buying a pallet at those prices, should be..

She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know a whole bunch of selfish clods who have earned a special place on GW's schidt list. No Christmas cards for you this year.

Okay. He can send me one when I'm 506. That's when I run out of .22.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I certainly didn’t buy tons…..but, wish that I had bought a little more. Rationing my resources sucks!

Though, this conversation really has me wanting to go out and burn a few hundred…..well, just because! 🙂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It didn’t. One could as easily say that the folks who go out and spray a brick or so willy-nilly every week cause shortages. I see those frequently at the range, not only .22s, but 9mms and ARs, turning silhouettes at 7-15 yards into sieves. Exactly what they’re accomplishing is a mystery. How they measure progress escapes me, unless they’re just counting the holes outside the scoring rings and doing their math based on that🤔

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It didn’t. One could as easily say that the folks who go out and spray a brick or so willy-nilly every week cause shortages. I see those frequently at the range, not only .22s, but 9mms and ARs, turning silhouettes at 7-15 yards into sieves. Exactly what they’re accomplishing is a mystery. How they measure progress escapes me, unless they’re just counting the holes outside the scoring rings and doing their math based on that🤔

What they are accomplishing is what my son calls "turning money into noise". They also raise heck with range structures - target frames, etc.

On the topic. there is a huge gap between common plinking and hunting .22 ammo, and the ammo used in precision rimfire shooting, the latter being exclusively imports these days, and with limited supply and choice, and high prices. Lapua anybody?

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lately, I've been doing my part to cause an ammo shortage...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
been buying 22lr and 9mm lately. Cheapest I have seen it since pre-covid. Be a fool not to restock the shelves while the gettin is good

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39

What they are accomplishing is what my son calls "turning money into noise". They also raise heck with range structures - target frames, etc.

On the topic. there is a huge gap between common plinking and hunting .22 ammo, and the ammo used in precision rimfire shooting, the latter being exclusively imports these days, and with limited supply and choice, and high prices. Lapua anybody?

Lapua is for the most part too rich for my blood, as well as hard to come by, and my “target” rifle likes Club pretty well, with some SK types coming in right behind, at least the lots I have. It likes TAC too, but the cheap TAC from Norma’s site seems to have dried up. I have enough of those mid-grade types to see me through for a good while, but I keep my eyes open for bargains. I also watch for sales on Mini Mags and a couple of other CCI choices since they are dependable and accurate enough for the most part. A new “problem” has arisen with my acquisition of a couple of .22 magnums. The rifle is very un-fussy so far, the pistol is on the way and an unknown. Won’t be shooting either as much as .22LR, but need to lay some in. $.26-$.30 a pop seems to be the lowball price right now, anout like 9mm.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've competed in smallbore silhouette for just less than 15 years. We prefer Lapua Center X, it is the cheapest precise ammo I know of. Lapua has been hard to find for two or three years now, so much so that when my last case is done, I am done. Shooting is not worth the trouble any more.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm
I've competed in smallbore silhouette for just less than 15 years. We prefer Lapua Center X, it is the cheapest precise ammo I know of. Lapua has been hard to find for two or three years now, so much so that when my last case is done, I am done. Shooting is not worth the trouble any more.

I hear you. I'm not quite there yet, but I can surely relate.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Aguila seems to be on sale often. Midsouth has free shipping on a couple types right now, and the price is pretty good too.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My grand kids will probably be shooting up my overstock after I'm gone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Aguila seems to be on sale often. Midsouth has free shipping on a couple types right now, and the price is pretty good too.
Yes they do. Good enough for me to order some more. Get em while the gettins good

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the heads up on the Aguila. I just ordered a 2000 round case of solids and one of HPs. Not that I really needed it but 22 rimfire is the only thing I didn't stock up heavily on when Trump was in office.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
Thanks for the heads up on the Aguila. I just ordered a 2000 round case of solids and one of HPs. Not that I really needed it

Gunwizard, you have some angry PMing to do here.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My local ammo suppliers seem to have a decent selection of most calibres these days. There’s no shortage of available 22lr ammo at all in my area.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mart
Thanks for the heads up on the Aguila. I just ordered a 2000 round case of solids and one of HPs. Not that I really needed it

Gunwizard, you have some angry PMing to do here.

Don't know what that's about but if he needs more fodder for an angry PM then I also grabbed 1000 rounds of CCI 22 Long for a good price on GB.

If I'm able to get back to coyote trapping next year I'll have a few years supply of dispatch rounds.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not rimfire, but I was looking for some shotshells with real brass heads for my fussy M37. They seem in good supply now, and I got a decent price and free shipping from Bud’s on some good quality Federals. Come Spring, folks are gonna be scratching around again. I shoot 2-3 boxes every week, so use them up fairly quickly.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 375TN, 21 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.