Print Thread
Hop To
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gentlemen, Had surgery on my lower back and right shoulder in April. Bow season opens in late September and I have not shot a bow in the last three years. (Living out of the country) I really need to be practicing now but the shoulder and back do not seem quite ready. <P>Rather than miss the season, I thought I would ask your opinions. Have any of you had any experience with a crossbow? How far can you shoot with them? How reliable are they and most importantly, how hard to cock? I have several stand set ups where I can limit all shots to 20 yards or less if necessary. <P>I can get a permit to use one with a note from the doctor but hate to spend three or four hundred on one and find out I can not use it. Since I would only use one this season, I would be interested in picking up a used one if any of you know of one. Thanks. TM

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TM, I'll keep my eyes open. Crossbows are not legal here unless the shooter is handicapped, so they are scarce. Best wishes for your recovery.<P>Talus

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Talus, Same story here, which makes it almost impossible to try one out. I have never even held one before but I hear they do OK. If I can not find a used one to try, I will probably go ahead and buy one from Cablea's. After being out of the country for a few years, there is not way I am going to miss bow season this year if I can help it. TM

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
travelingman,<BR>There are no differences from a compound to a crossbow as far as speed, accuracy and killing power. What you do gain is the convenience of not having to draw the bow. Cocking devices make it easier to get the bow back to full draw and ready to shoot. <P>Under your circumstances, I would purchase a used one too. However, if you don't find one, check out the new ones that Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops have in stock. New ones are anywhere from $150 to over $400.<P>Good luck in your search!<BR>Good hunting, bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BH57, The crossbows I have been looking at draw 150 pounds or so and shoot a 20 to 21 inch arrow. Seems like the speed would be much higher? Not questioning your statement, just wondering how it works. <P>No luck on finding a used one but my favorite sporting goods store has a Horton for 300, that will be mine when I get home again. Guess we will find out then how they work. Thanks for the advice. TM

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.