Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought I asked this a while back, then could not fine the post.

Do you dress, skin, and bone while your animal is on the ground, or do some of you hang it to skin and bone.

I finally got a backpack sized gambrel I have been looking for (three piece bar, and lightweight strap), but it still weighs about three pounds. How are you guys doing it, all on the ground, or hanging?

Thank you gents.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on where the critter is lots of times, sometimes there might not be a tree handy or too far to drag to. Some animals are too big to drag or hang. I always do it on the ground, being the lazy kinda guy I am.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
depends on the land an whats available. With the terrain that I hunt. on the ground with a rope or two runnin u to rocks an such to keep it from rollin downhill would work the best I believe.

never tried hanging one unless it was in my garage so I cant comment on that part.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do it on the ground.
I always have to pack it out on my back, so I quarter and bone stuff right there on the spot.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
On the ground, break out the meat sack and knife and go to work.

MtnHtr

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
agreed with the last two guys, haven't hung anything up in years.

bping sure ain't where I'd want to start, and certainly not for a 3 lb. weight penalty in my pack.

but that's for the way I hunt, it may be worth it for others, but I can salivate over what stuff I can bring that weighs 3 pounds, or just being 3 pounds lighter!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
On the ground! There's no trees around for the sheep or caribou I hunt and I'd certainly have a time of it trying to hoist a whole moose up a tree.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd call a gambrel excess weight. If there's a tree handy for a gambrel, it's just as handy for a rope & stick alone.

But the ground works just fine. You'd probably be boning pieces on the ground anyway, not directly from a hanging carcass.

I bone in the field only on a real backpack hunt, which I know you've been doing. For those trips (often elsewhen, also), I have along a 6x6 sheet of heavy plastic - my combo "clean-room"/emergency tarp. I'll do the usual on-the-ground backstrap collection and separation of the four legs, placing them into quarter bags for protection, and then pull out each leg in turn and debone on the spread sheet, returning the meat to the bags.

After some experience, it's not difficult to quarter on the ground with cleanliness (deer-size game!).

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akpls
On the ground! There's no trees around for the sheep or caribou I hunt and I'd certainly have a time of it trying to hoist a whole moose up a tree.

I'd like pics if you decide to try and hoist the moose up......grin

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Barkoff,

Just lay the animal on one side and make a lateral cut down it's backline. Skin and lay the hide over towards the lower legs and cut off the backstraps in one long piece. Then cut off each quarter, debone and stuff the meat in the meatsack. Flip the animal over and repeat. The tenderloins can be retrieved by carefully slipping in your hand and cutting just past the last rib.

One does not even have to gut an animal with the above method. A small sheet of plastic is nice to have along, about 3'x3' is about right for deer.

MtnHtr

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just for fun, I'll start a HUGE debate grin by stating that I take off the side's quarters first, before peeling out the backstrap- I can more easily go farther up the neck when backstrapping, without the top of the quarter being in the way.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by macrabbit
Just for fun, I'll start a HUGE debate grin by stating that I take off the side's quarters first, before peeling out the backstrap- I can more easily go farther up the neck when backstrapping, without the top of the quarter being in the way.

+1

There's a lot of backstrap left under the shoulder. If you pull the shoulder then you can get it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No debate here, I was just posting some fast basic instructions without going into detail. I do take off the shoulders first and then the backstraps. The shoulders come off real easy and I lay them aside to debone later before stuffing the meat inside the sack.

The whole process is not that technical, never really gave it alot of thought. I just do it when I'm successful. smile

MtnHtr

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
on the ground.
Packed more than one skinned antelope out whole. deer boned. elk quartered, moose sixthed (that sucked!). smile

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I use the same method that Mtn Hunter uses. Works great. If you're careful and keep it clean, you can even use the skin as a temporary spot to put a quarter if you need to. I also use old cotton pillowcases to hold everything. That way I can close them off with flagging tape, and label each bag as to what it is, so I know what the heck the odd shaped pieces are when I get home - sometimes the deboning happens fast (getting dark, snow coming in, etc) and the result isn't as neat as it could be.

Also agree with the other poster, if you really want to hang it up, just bring a short piece of thin rope and find a stick to use instead of packing along a 3-lb gambrel. Heck, all I have in my shed, where I hang and skin stuff out if it was close enough to the truck, is a stick. Works fine!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I work my process in a enviornment dependant process. if it is snowy and cold....on the ground every time. if it is cold and snowless, but there are trees very close, i might pop off the shoulders and hang them to bone....just to keep them clean and give me a bit easier time. if it is warm I skin as I remove meat, I am not a big fan of blowflys, but they seem to be a big fan of freshly dead elk, and the bees really like my fresh kills as well, so I skin a side, and then set the hide on what I am not pulling off. I get my meat in the bags ASAP.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I call the 800# to register kill.
Gut, setting aside heart and liver.
Run parachute cord through 1 hamstring tendon.
Pull deer up in tree.
Take mesh backpack, which has been rubber banded up out of cargo pants pocket.
Skin deer to neck.
Filet deer.... including heart and liver to plastic bags.
Put bags in mesh backpack.
Cut antlered skull plate off with cheapo Gerber retractable bone saw.
Put pack on back and stroll out of woods!
At 61 I need to drag a deer through all sorts of crap like a hole in the head! I don't hunt where 4 wheelers go!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't you southern boys just put them lil' deer in your pocket?

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Now where would I put the keys to my doublewide. This pocket 10 was shot on my 60th, near where I parked the car. I'm 6'5" for perspective. I call this a 2 pocket deer!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yea, that is what I mean, don't you just put them in your pocket.

and how does that=a 10pointer.......oh that is right you guys in the south get the 2-fer-1 deal.

just having a little christmas fun! that is a nice 4 point up here.......hehehe!

is that a beagle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

253 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 34 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,322
Posts18,526,419
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.