Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The two long shots were about 125 yds. The other was maybe 80-90. Lost around 2# on one, the others not much because I went through behind the shoulders. Shredded hearts and lung soup, though. They were actually the factory loads, so not super fast. Around 26-2700 if memory serves.

Last edited by shootinurse; 11/06/23.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Didn't it have to do with Amax tips melting in flight which lead to the thermally stable eld tip and making the Amax then redundant?.mb

I do not believe Hornady for one second that the tips were "melting" in flight! What a bunch of nonsense!
I'm not so sure that was nonsense. I recall Hornady pubicly claiming that they were having some accuracy anomalies, fought it for a while, employed Doppler radar over the length of the bullet's flight and discovered melted tips ruining ballistic coefficient. I think David Tubb, and Dave Emary confirmed, and finally Hornady did some super high speed photography to confirm. At some point they then changed tip material. But I'm pretty sure I never had any tip meltdowns at 6.5 Swede velocities..lol.
Since my first OP, I discovered another 200 Amax's in my lost and forgotten stash.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by duke61
Any of you guys hunted with A-Max, what kind of results compared to E LDM

We've killed a pile of Muley bucks with the 123 Amax out of a 6.5 cm, every one a single shot kill with no excessive meat damage. Luckily I bought 500 just before they went out of production.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duke61
Any of you guys hunted with A-Max, what kind of results compared to E LDM
Same/same, for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
The bottom line is the bottom line - they could make more money with something else.

Correct, this is why they've stopped supporting just about all of the more traditional calibers.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Didn't it have to do with Amax tips melting in flight which lead to the thermally stable eld tip and making the Amax then redundant?.mb

I do not believe Hornady for one second that the tips were "melting" in flight! What a bunch of nonsense!

Well not a plastic tip but when Speer brought out the Mag Tip bullet in the early 1970's they got a photo of a reg spitzer bullet leaving the barrel and the tip was gone. They said velocity did that, melted it in flight. Back then the Hornady SX bullet was said to come apart in the air at and beyond 3500fps. Friend and I loaded up some 50gr SX's for his 22-250 at where we figured 3500fps was and tried them out. You could actually see trails in the air where the bullets came apart.

From those things I would think some plastic's may well melt in flight at to high of velocities. The only plastic tip bullet's I use are Hornady 6mm 75ga V-Max bullets. At something like 3300fps from a 243, at 200yds the bullets were going into A 1" foam target backing with a paper target on it and blowing up. Jacket material all over the ground on the back side.I have always thought that upon entry with a plastic tip, the tip was shoved back into the core possibly destroying the core. Looking on the ground behind the target seems to me to bear that out. But that target backing was more fragile than the side of an animal. I suspect the tip might melt but the part inside th bullet stays intact and probably that get's driven into the bullet. If so many people weren't so overwhelmed with BC and trying to kill animals at really long range, there would be no need for the plastic tip other than to start expansion in monolithic bullet's.

be careful what yo ask for, you might get it, in this case plastic tip bullet's. Would be interesting to see photo's of them coming out of the barrel as Speer did with the mag tip!

Last edited by DonFischer; 11/07/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (280shooter, 222Sako, 325wsm1, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.