Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by qotsarock
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

.... I would love a lighter weight fixed scope from SWFA.

I use the heck out of their 6x42 now. I'd love to see them build a 6x42 on the 3-9's tube with capped windage, zero stopped elevation, and HD glass. In that setup, unless it's mounted on a rimfire, I could do without the parallax adjustment. The current 3-9 is ~19 oz. I'm guessing using that tube, with fewer lenses and smaller capped windage, it might come in around 16 oz.

Yeah, I agree with you here. I don't think the 6x needs to be as bulky and heavy as it is. However, my sample of the SWFA 3-9 was not 19 ounces; at 20.3 oz, it was very close to the weight of the current 6x.

Interesting. I don't know if I've weighted one of the new production 3-9's but I know at least one of the old production versions that I weighted previously was 19.*.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just hope they don’t screw then up and add a bunch of crap features. The MQ reticle in the 3-9 is about the best on the market for a non illuminated scope, and the 6x is outstanding as well. They are reasonably light weight and tough as nails. Just need better availability

Sean
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Interesting. I don't know if I've weighted one of the new production 3-9's but I know at least one of the old production versions that I weighted previously was 19.*.

There must have been a change at some point as I've seen others cite the ~19 ounces as well. I'm not sure how old mine was as I wasn't the original owner.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by FOsteology
koshkin,

Do you know if SWFA is looking into incorporating an illuminated dot for their mil-quad reticle?

I do not really have a ton of insight into how they will update the rest of the products. I only saw the 10x.

That having been said, if I were them, I would do it on the variables.

ILya

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by koshkin
I do not see that rifle used in the online version of the magazine, so it is in print only, for the time being.

SWFA is indeed focusing on their own scopes and updating their product line. I tested the updated 10x42 that has new turrets, new reticle and some cosmetic changes. I needed something with tons of elevation because I was working on a budget ELR rimfire article.

Zero stop is a welcome addition as is the new reticle. Optically and mechanically, the scope was quite nice, but not hugely different form the earlier version. That's a good thing because it has a very long track of reliability.

ILya

Thanks ILya. I was hoping you could add your insight. I assume that they are incorporating these changes into the 6x SS model? I wonder if as well if the weight has changed with the new turret options. I would love a lighter weight fixed scope from SWFA.

The weight seems to be about the same. I do not know what they are planning to do with the 6x.

Personally, I would probably be inclined to cap the windage turret and leave the rest of it alone.

ILya

IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Thanks again, ILya. Hope SWFA releases info on its plans for other models soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if SWFA is going to run another Black Friday sale on stuff they don't have in inventory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I wonder if SWFA is going to run another Black Friday sale on stuff they don't have in inventory.

Pardon backorders that exist.......

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Lack of a good communication plan, or any communication plan as seems to be their case, have killed a lot of businesses after they do a major restructuring of their business model like SWFA has.

I bought a lot of glass off the sample list over the years, and a few SS. They always seemed like a good crew to deal with.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
koshkin,

Do you know if SWFA is looking into incorporating an illuminated dot for their mil-quad reticle?

This! In 6 and 10X would be a top all of my deer rifles!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 6x with that reticle illuminated would be a killing machine dream scope. As it is, it sucks for low light.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I use the heck out of their 6x42 now. I'd love to see them build a 6x42 on the 3-9's tube with capped windage, zero stopped elevation, and HD glass. In that setup, unless it's mounted on a rimfire, I could do without the parallax adjustment. The current 3-9 is ~19 oz. I'm guessing using that tube, with fewer lenses and smaller capped windage, it might come in around 16 oz.

Yeah, I agree with you here. I don't think the 6x needs to be as bulky and heavy as it is. However, my sample of the SWFA 3-9 was not 19 ounces; at 20.3 oz, it was very close to the weight of the current 6x.

The risk when you start to re-invent the wheel is that you may lose some of what you already have and like. In the case of the 6x and its brethren, the number one thing people rave about is dependability, which comes with weight.

Also, new stuff requires expensive engineering and tooling which adds to the price. How much more are you willing to pay? I for one, like getting a rock-solid optic for $300, $209 on sale, and don’t want that screwed up.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I’d pay more

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
I’d pay more

Yup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get rid of that stupid windage knob, put a zero stop on it, keep the price the same and I will buy more.... traded all my off because of this

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned a 10x a 20x a 3x9 and a 3-15. Only half of them tracked perfectly. And that was the 10x and the 3x9. Still have the 20x sitting in a junk drawer. The tracking error is still there and hasn’t fixed itself It appears after 18 months. The company is still not stabilized. I did like the 3x9 quite a bit. But the rest of the line is nothing to get excited about.

Seriously buy something else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I have owned a 10x a 20x a 3x9 and a 3-15. Only half of them tracked perfectly. And that was the 10x and the 3x9. Still have the 20x sitting in a junk drawer. The tracking error is still there and hasn’t fixed itself It appears after 18 months. The company is still not stabilized. I did like the 3x9 quite a bit. But the rest of the line is nothing to get excited about.

Your recommendation(s)?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The risk when you start to re-invent the wheel is that you may lose some of what you already have and like. In the case of the 6x and its brethren, the number one thing people rave about is dependability, which comes with weight.

Also, new stuff requires expensive engineering and tooling which adds to the price. How much more are you willing to pay? I for one, like getting a rock-solid optic for $300, $209 on sale, and don’t want that screwed up.

I agree that dependability is critical. But does the 6x really need that massive parallax ring or the oversized ocular assembly? Capping the windage might also save a bit of weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Your recommendation(s)?
Buy something else. Zeiss v4

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I agree that dependability is critical. But does the 6x really need that massive parallax ring or the oversized ocular assembly? Capping the windage might also save a bit of weight.

20oz is kinda my limit for hunting scopes, but that’s not what I use them for, as the reticle doesn’t work for me in low light. I’d hate to have them futz up the design that has been an excellent scope for range work, and there’s also the issue of supply. If they have trouble keeping them available now, what will happen if they expand the line extensively? They’ye gonna do what they do, and I’m not against improvements, but just don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.