Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
The concentricity gauge sure opened my eyes. I have been loading for about 30 years and never ran into a rifle that I just couldn't get to shoot decent with tailored handloads. No competition grade accuracy but plenty good for hunting.

Thanks for all the advice above. I wish I had not prepped all the brass already and probably have induced excessive run out to them. Was hoping there was an easy fix, like just running them back through a neck die.

I may just load them up with as mild a charge as I can and shoot some of the cheaper bullets out of it and just fireform them all. I will check run out of fired brass through my rifle this evening.

Thought I was close and may be with concentric brass as it was putting 3 in a pretty tight cluster but would sometimes through an unexplained flyer. Yes plenty of cooling time between rounds and groups.

Gun is factory other than Rifle Basics Trigger and quality mounts and scope so when I get the concentricity thing figured out I can at least rule that out as an issue. Next is new stock that is free floated.

HeavyBarrel

Give that diagnostic routine I outlined a try. It may well help point the finger at the right thing.

HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Feral_American
No advice to give on the lee collet dies, never needed them.

How thick are four points on your necks? Can you find thick/thin on them? Best with a ball mic if you have one. You necked down from 264 to 257, so there's a chance you created thicker necks. So it's possible you can turn down to a concentric .013 or .014 neck thickness. Just floating that old school option out there.

I make 243 and 260 brass from Lapua and Starline 308 hulls. This gives me a pretty thick neck that I then can turn down to the .014 that I like to use with .002 neck tension. Maybe it's. 013 that I turn on them. Been a while and I'm not at my notes, but anyway, you get the idea.

Try to determine if it's neck thick/thin causing the run-out. If not then it's your die/press throwing things off. Honestly though, trying to make concentric ammo with brass that's just been formed in dies and annealed is gonna be tough. Pretty much the same scenario that factory ammo presents. Measure factory ammo and you'll see what i mean. Like I said, other than the thick/thin neck thing, firing in your chamber first, THEN hunting down the problem, is probably the best way to go. You might just see most of that TIR just go away after the first firing.

(On aside, there's hardly any neck or neck thickness on a 300WM to start with. Paper thin. I've not a clue why anybody would even try turning them even thinner.)

Inconsistent neck thickness is minimal with a Lee collet die on my brass. under a .001

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
The concentricity gauge sure opened my eyes. I have been loading for about 30 years and never ran into a rifle that I just couldn't get to shoot decent with tailored handloads. No competition grade accuracy but plenty good for hunting.

Thanks for all the advice above. I wish I had not prepped all the brass already and probably have induced excessive run out to them. Was hoping there was an easy fix, like just running them back through a neck die.

I may just load them up with as mild a charge as I can and shoot some of the cheaper bullets out of it and just fireform them all. I will check run out of fired brass through my rifle this evening.

Thought I was close and may be with concentric brass as it was putting 3 in a pretty tight cluster but would sometimes through an unexplained flyer. Yes plenty of cooling time between rounds and groups.

Gun is factory other than Rifle Basics Trigger and quality mounts and scope so when I get the concentricity thing figured out I can at least rule that out as an issue. Next is new stock that is free floated.

HeavyBarrel

A mild charge might take longer to form than you think !!

Last edited by anothergun; 11/09/23. Reason: wrong information
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by anothergun
Inconsistent neck thickness is minimal with a Lee collet die on my brass. under a .001

Lee collet dies do not affect the uniformity of the neck thickness.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
maximum charge with bullets touching the lands, other wise it might take longer to form than you think !!

He's loading for a 257 Weatherby. Published maximum charges were developed for factory style chambers/throats that have a bit of freebore. A max charge with the bullet in the lands is a fine way to achieve excessive pressure.

A agree a mild charge isn't what he wants for fireforming.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Simultaneously turn and ream the necks. That process generates a consistent thickness.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
maximum charge with bullets touching the lands, other wise it might take longer to form than you think !!

He's loading for a 257 Weatherby. Published maximum charges were developed for factory style chambers/throats that have a bit of freebore. A max charge with the bullet in the lands is a fine way to achieve excessive pressure.

And it's not 257 Weatherby brass to start with.

Some folks are better off taking advice and not offering it.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't see what the original die was to reduce the necks. If it was a neck sizer that is where your runout came from.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A

Yes they do......there is considerable less TIR when I indicate them. But hey you don't have to take my word for it ! I indicate them between the slot the collet leaves on the neck. Even though I polished the inside of the collet the best I could, slight impressions are left on the neck. As long as you stay away from them while indicating, you're fine.

Last edited by anothergun; 11/09/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

And it's not 257 Weatherby brass to start with.

Some folks are better off taking advice and not offering it.

ooops sorry about that.... LOL apologies. Get a grip man, you ain't perfect either !!

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Yes they do......there is considerable less TIR when I indicate them. But hey you don't have to take my word for it ! I indicate them between the slot the collet leaves on the neck. Even though I polished the inside of the collet the best I could, slight impressions are left on the neck. As long as you stay away from them while indicating, you're fine.

Indicated runout on the outside of the neck and neck thickness are not the same thing.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A

Indicated runout on the outside of the neck and neck thickness are not the same thing.

Poppy cock. I used to use a tube mic, and TIR does the same thing. Whats the difference if you put a neck on an anvil measuring with a spindle verses on a pilot on a concentricity tool and indicate with a dial indicator ? ! nothing. And the spindle really isn't conformed to the curve on the neck like the anvil portion. Splitting hairs here friend.

Last edited by anothergun; 11/09/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

HeavyBarrel

The "lightest charge that you can" may disappoint you. It takes some pretty serious pressure to move the brass around. Wimpy loads will likely just confound the problem. After being sure you have the proper neck clearance, I would start about midway & work up until you find something that forms the brass well. Powders on the quicker side of the data will have a bit more snap than the real slow burners. Small batches until you see how it all works out before loading them all. I've been doing this for a few years now & recently had to shoot some pieces of reformed brass for a new rifle 3 damn times before they filled out enough to headspace properly. It's always an adventure & the PPU brass is rather stout. When I do the other 30 from this batch, I'm sure they'll be fine after the 1st firing.

Are the cases with the runout in your OP already fireformed?

After they're formed, you can fool with runout if you need to. It's a fool's errand trying to fix something that cant be easily fixed with unfired brass that's been abused numerous times, from the packaging machinery, to the monkeys at the USPS warehouse, to the guy with the loading press. Body dents can play hell with bullet concentricity. With a factory rifle & hunting loads the average shooter probably wont see the difference in bullet runout up to near .010". Going back 30 or 40 years, factory brass often had up to .006-.008" neck thickness differences in some lots. We still managed to shoot small groups & kill groundhogs at distance. Runout gauges are kinda like the borescopes of reloading tools... fun to play with & can be used to solve real problems, but create much ado about nothing scenarios more often than not.

If you need a few pieces of 257 Wthrby brass for comparison, I have about 1/2 of an old box unfired that I found rooting around downstairs last year.

Good luck & have fun.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
RCBS Full length sizing die is what I used.

Generous offer on brass. How much for them?

Thanks

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Poppy cock. I used to use a tube mic, and TIR does the same thing. Whats the difference if you put a neck on an anvil measuring with a spindle verses on a pilot on a concentricity tool and indicate with a dial indicator ? ! nothing. And the spindle really isn't conformed to the curve on the neck like the anvil portion. Splitting hairs here friend.

You're thinking about neck wall sorting, like so:

[Linked Image from reloadingsolutions.com]

He's talking about neck runout measurement, like so:

Last edited by mathman; 11/09/23.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Yes

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lee Collet dies produce less TIR than a Redding neck bushing die even with unturned necks. Forget the washer trick on the collet die. Drill the recess deeper in the aluminum cap which allows the collet to close more for better sizing before it makes contact with the mandrel. A slight cam over does away with the "handle pressure" per Lee instructions.

What are you talking about? When sizing a case the collet never makes contact with the mandrel. On top of that, how does the recess in the cap affect the operation of the collet anyway? The recess is there simply to provide clearance for the "nail head" of the mandrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my work, I had to see where the problem was. That involved using dial indicators, mics and even feeler guages. That jig measure neck thickness not concentricity . Easier and quicker than using a tubing mic, but not nearly as fine. My tubing mic measures a 1/10 of a thou. That jig is also more expensive than my KBC house brand Chinese mic. Your reference point should be the case itself .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A

You're thinking about neck wall sorting, like so:

He's talking about neck runout measurement, like so:

And others are talking about neck wall thickness too math major

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody have a giffy of a wheel stuck spinning in the mud?

Or a sinking ship?

How about a dumpster fire.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,711
Posts18,514,006
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.