Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I went looking for a replacement for my 25 year old summit.

Have you seen the MARP on the new Lone Wolf “cross over” stand? 😳😆

Those things better climb themselves and blow me going both ways!

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I may be mistaken but I don’t think Lone Wolf is owned by the same guy anymore either.

But treesramds in general are insane, price wise.

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Look at a local trader paper or ask around
I got two a couple years ago by mentioning it to my nephew
Turned out he had a steel summit and a aluminum one , got them both for 225.00
Both were in excellent shape
I love them , if I find an area I like , I put a cable lock on them and hunt them sometimes for weeks .
Kenneth

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like a good climber for all day gun season sits. My go to for years have been a Summit Razor SS for bow hunting any my Goliath SS for gun. Both aluminum and both good for all day sits. Not ideal for every situation but a great addition to the arsenal for when the situation calls for it. I sold my Razor 2 years ago when I took up saddle hunting. I would argue that a good saddle is just as good and a bit more versatile.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do. I use Summit Titans. I have two. I can drive them up with my ranger to whatever tree I am wanting to hunt. Strength and comfort are high priority as I am not hauling it on my back. Plus I’m a big boy.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I may be mistaken but I don’t think Lone Wolf is owned by the same guy anymore either.

That's correct. Andrae D'Acquisto sold his original company in 2006 IIRC.

I use my original Lone Wolf 20 y/o climber a couple of times throughout each year. If it needed replacing (beyond the traction belts), I'd buy another - 20 ft in the air is not the time I'll sweat a cheaper (and bulkier) alternative. And, in times when folks are hyper-sensitive to where things are made, you get a 100% made-in-America stand, using metal made here as well.

But if size and extreme comfort are a higher priority than portability, there are better options.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't been in a tree in more years then I can remember. That said I do have 2 Summit Goliaths collecting dust in my garage. I'd originally bought 'em for my sons who have used them sparingly. I may give one a whirl later this year.

Were I in the market today for a climber I'd strongly consider Cougar Claw Treestands. USA made in Foley, Alabama. I've read nothing but positive reviews about the stands and the owner.

Here's another option, one of which I just got delivered, still sitting in the box in my garage; a tripod stand, Millennium T-100 Tripod.

My oldest son has turned me onto a big 10 point, which he swears is every bit of 180," but this buck, and I'm sure several others, lives in an area overgrown with head-high brambles, small pines, and stunted trees, none of which are over 8.'

Hopefully this tripod will give me just enough height to see into the buck's lair, and maybe even get off a shot. grin

B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SKane

That's correct. Andrae D'Acquisto sold his original company in 2006 .

He may have sold it but I’m 99% sure he was the guy demoing that new stand at a saddlehunter YouTube vid I was just watching. He must still be associated with the company some how.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi

He may have sold it but I’m 99% sure he was the guy demoing that new stand at a saddlehunter YouTube vid I was just watching. He must still be associated with the company some how.

Yep, he now operates under Lone Wolf Custom Gear (he kept the rights to the name).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Summit Goliath for me if I'm in a climber

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bbassi

The saddles are interesting.

Camp is where you make it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm too old to climb trees anymore. Haven't used one in years and my last one is rotting at the bottom of the last tree I used it in . I use either a popup or a tripod now days. Both work just as good for me . I set the popup where I want to hunt 4 weeks before season so the deer are used to seeing it and hearing it when the wind blows by the time I'm ready to use it . The tripods are up all year and get used for coyotes during the off season. I got one I been using 15 years and it's still as stable as it was the day I put it up. It is harder to get into than it was 15 years ago but that is to be expected. Gonna put up an 8 footer I bought last year at the end of season when the prices were down but I will mostly hunt from the popup.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's been a couple of years since I used a climber. Lone Wolf hand climber was my go to then because of the size/weight. Summits were the most comfortable of all I tried.

Last several years I've been using a saddle. Sometimes with the LW hand climber seat as a platform, other times with a small/light lockon so I have the option to sit.

Still use a lot of lockons known spots on private land that I'll leave up all season. I use a saddle in them rather than a harness...gives so many options to position yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Summit Viper here. Very comfortable stand and easy to climb with. Bulky to pack through the woods. I put a set of MOLLE shoulder straps and waistbelt on the Summit and it is better but it is nowhere near as compact as my son's Lone Wolf.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many, many times

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since about 1988 - give or take.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I did for several years.

Summit Goliath ( larger framed viper ) and API magnum.

I like the rigid frame climbers because they stayed the same size as the tree tapered..

Ol man style stands would get smaller across the back as you went up.

Now, i hunt box stands.. get out of the rain with room for my heater, snacks, and a book to read 😂😂🤣😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I did for several years.

Summit Goliath ( larger framed viper ) and API magnum.

I like the rigid frame climbers because they stayed the same size as the tree tapered..

Ol man style stands would get smaller across the back as you went up.

Now, i hunt box stands.. get out of the rain with room for my heater, snacks, and a book to read 😂😂🤣😂

Big fan of the API's myself.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
I'm too old to climb trees anymore. Haven't used one in years and my last one is rotting at the bottom of the last tree I used it in . I use either a popup or a tripod now days. Both work just as good for me . I set the popup where I want to hunt 4 weeks before season so the deer are used to seeing it and hearing it when the wind blows by the time I'm ready to use it . The tripods are up all year and get used for coyotes during the off season. I got one I been using 15 years and it's still as stable as it was the day I put it up. It is harder to get into than it was 15 years ago but that is to be expected. Gonna put up an 8 footer I bought last year at the end of season when the prices were down but I will mostly hunt from the popup.

Not sure if I’m too old to climb trees, but clearly I’m too old to fall out of them. I’m done with hunting aloft, except from elevated terrain locations, which fortunately are common where I hunt. I picked up a tripod stool with a 21” seat height that weighs the same as my safety harness and attaches neatly to my pack. I also have a cushion seat with a supported backrest and backpack straps for those places where I know there are handy logs and rocks to sit on. It can hold some stuff like a quiver, jacket, water jug, etc, and I added a chest strap. So far this season I’ve seen a lot of deer from the ground, so it’s working for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Summit for the win, they don't nest and pack as easy as an API, but once on the tree I do not think you can beat a Summit, we have 4 and love them, can climb up and down silently (no API chain rattle), and comfortable as hell. I picked up an as new Titan for $200 on FB Marketplace.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.