Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know, I know. We've all done this before, but it's always interesting to hear what different people value in the one-gun rifle.<P>I would choose a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06, 23-inch barrel, no open sights, no muzzle-break. I would put it into a MacMillan Bros. synthetic stock, pillar/steel bedded, of course. I would put Leupold rings and bases, and a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 with a matte finish. I would put a Harris bipod on it, the tallest one with swivel, and a 1-inch military sling.<P>I would develop a load that shot 180-grain Nosler Partitions at near 2800 fps, with 1-MOA of accuracy (this is theory, OK).<P>If I could get all that together, I submit that you couldn't find a better one-rifle rig for North America. Ain't been made!<P>Course, I'd still want another rifle, but we'll leave that for another thread. [Linked Image]<P>How about you?<P>Timber

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have my one gun. It's a plain jane Winchester M70, pre-64 action, wood stock, factory trigger (tuned and lightened), Douglas barrel in .338-06 caliber (23"), with Leupold dual dovetail bases/rings and a Zeiss (U.S. made) 3-9x36 scope.<P>I have found a couple of hunting loads that will shoot 200 grain spitzers or 210 grain Partitions at about 2800 fps at under 1 MOA. Certainly good enough for big game.<P>This thing hits like a sledge hammer with very tolerable recoil. The recoil is about on par with a 30-06. <P>I wouldn't hesitate to use this on anything in North America, save really big bruins of the far north. However, I think in a self-defense situation it would be as good as any and better than most. The only drawback for this gun is current lack of factory ammo, although that may be changing in the future. For a handloader who hunts game bigger than deer and antelope, this is the gun.<P>Of course, I still find myself wanting that .22-250.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, the ONE rifle thing, eh?<P>Here we go.<P>Make mine a David Miller Marksman, .30-06, Dave Talley QD rings and bases, German Zeiss 3x9, Harris bipod, Whelen sling, Pelican case (you said anything).<P>For a load, I'll take 1 180-grain Nosler Partition at .5 MOA, thank you!<P>I like this game!<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I bought mine in 1960, a Left handed Savage in .243. I have managed to acquire a few others in the years since them but this is the only one that isn't elgible for trade. Of course, I managed to shoot it enough to require a rebore, and it is now a .260 Remington, a cartridge I feel is adequate for anything I'll ever run up on here in Tennessee.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I guess that the choice would depend a lot of where you place the emphasis in your hunting. Years ago I would have chosen a larger caliber, as most of you do, but if your emphasis is on varmints, with an occasional prairie dog trip thrown in, a 30 caliber is a bit big. On the other hand, if you want to do deer and antelope, the wonderful line of 22s we have now is a bit small, and illegal in many states. I would have to go for the 243, preferably Ackleyed. Since I was a 375 H&H fan most of my life for elk, I consider the 243 small for elk. But if I intended to only hunt them ocassionally, I know that with the right bullet and shot placement, it <B>will</B> get the job done. And I consider the 243 the ideal caliber to dependably anchor coyotes, every time, all the time. And even the 243 is a bit much to shoot 300-400 times a day on PDs, but it is the best compromise. For my hunting, there is no other good choice. Gotta go with the 243!<BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
IC B2

POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with all the posts. However I already own in my opinion the ultimate for North America. It is a Rem 700 BDL LSS in 300 ultra. It shoots a 180 Swift Scirocco bullet at 3250 fps and groups 1"...@ 200 yds! It wears a Leupold 4x12 and it is gorgeous. Very much like a 30-06... on steroids. From antelope to moose to brown bear I have full confidence in this rifle. Just my opinion. By the way the load is 88.5gr of IMR 7828, fed 215br primers, sat at 3.565" coal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One rifle for WHAT primary purpose?..<BR>Without qualification to that question..it could be a single shot .22RF..or something more directed for the task..jim

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
One Rifle,<BR>You know thats just what I have been doing for many years and that rifle has been a 300 win mag I have had every thing from a custom made to my present being a Weatherby mark 5 in 300 win and have taken deer, elk, moose antilopes a few coyotes several rabbits and a crow or two. My principle load has been 180 gr nosler part, and 180 gr swift I have shot 200 gr. in front of 76.5 H4831 hot load but rifle handled it find.<BR>I have just bought a 338 win M77r and I believe I will adopt it as my only rifle.<BR>the Old Timer

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost.
S
S
HMMMMmmmmm.......I guess I'd have to do a little qualifying here. I don't think there is a rifle around that I know of that will effectively down p-dogs to Elephants, unless it would be a .460 Weatherby. However from p-dogs to Elk, I would think the 6.5X55 Swede is a very effective cartridge for this range of game. I have been useing this cartridge fo 40 yrs. It does the job, and does it quite well, and without the punishment you may receive from the big boomers.....Swede 6.5

G
G
Oh this is too easy; Browning bar 30-06.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
well let's see,living in the east don't have to worry bpout elk,whitetails arn't big, course groundhogs arn't plentiful anymore either.instead or 1 rifle could I settle for one cabnetfull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I could only have one rifle, it would be a Remington 700 .30-06.<BR>

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd have to pick my Rem 700 FS/ADL model in 7 Rem Mag.It has a Brown-Precision fibreglass stock that fits me better than any other rifle I've ever owned.Has a 3-9 Leupold and is very accurate with 139 Hornadies.I load 175 CoreLocts for bigger game.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
J
J
With so many 30-06's chosen, you all must be Green Beret snipers! Putting our egos aside, the clear choice is the very powerful and very accurate Remington BDL .270. Just like in restaurants, it doesn't matter how good the food is, it's all about location, location, location. And while I'm sure you're all very accurate under pressure and in the elements, I'll take a well-placed .270 shot over a 30-odd that may be a little off, even for elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Uh-oh!!!<P>

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
M

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
For me, it would have to be the .25-06, in a Remington 700 action. Out here on the plains, flat, fast and accurate for deer-sized game is the ticket. I'd feel undergunned for elk and bear, but I rarely hunt them, so a .25-06 it is.<P>Oh, and put a Leupold on it. All I need.<P>Jack

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll play: .30-06 in a purdy wood by Weatherby I think. I am not an accuracy fanatic, so this bed-the-stock-float-the-barrel stuff is lost on me. I don't currently own one, but I cannot argue with how the Weatherby looks and shoots. Thumbs up on both catagories. Mine would wear a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5x8 scope. No muzzle brake. Yes to a blued finish (of course) and my same ol' leather sling. Of course, the same gun in a .300 Weatherby would be cool too (if ammo were free). Regards.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
got it.....a 6.5 x 55

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OK I'll bite. But I am going to the other extreme here. We are in Big Game rifles section so you chunk out all those little woosy guns to start with. (Big Grin) <P>Hold on let me put on my fire resistant underwear before I get flamed!! <P>I say how about a 338?? Handles everything but Cape Buff type critters. Ok for Brown Bears and anything on this side of the ocean. Will reach out there farther and flatter and with a bigger bullet then a 30-06?? Ammo is available around the world and if you handload the possibilities are limitless.<P>My one gun, must be big enough for brown bear, moose, and elk as their primary targets. I am certainly not saying you can not kill these critters with the 06! Not at all. But not the best tool. Hunting deer is secondary to me, so maybe we are choosing based on what we normally hunt also???<P>Have fun! Flame away Guys. (Big Grin)<P>tex<P>

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,442
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.