-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ruger just made a run of 327 Federal SP101 3" revolvers. As soon as this run dries up, they'll be selling for $200 more on the used market. This merchant is legit and doesn't charge tax out of state.

https://www.familyfirearms.com/prod...sert-grip-satin-stainless#product_detail

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Nice... wish they'd do a run of the single sevens again. I wouldn't mind one to go with the Henry.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Who is the target market on that thing? It's not really a concealed carry gun, and there's no adjustable sights so not a target gun or small/medium game gun... Too heavy for casual hiking. Home defense perhaps, but no ability for night sights or flashlight and revolvers are extra loud to begin with, let alone in a confined space.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Best guess... deaf people?

327 has a helluva nasty report out of a 5-7" barrel, I can't imagine it from 3. It reminds me a lot of 30 carbine handguns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll just keep the 357 thank you

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by zcm82

327 has a helluva nasty report out of a 5-7" barrel, I can't imagine it from 3. It reminds me a lot of 30 carbine handguns.
You could always shoot .32 H&R Magnum out of it.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
That'd be exactly what I'd do with one; 32L and 32 Mag. It is nice to have that option of running 327 if you really, really need to. Man, those suckers are sharp. ☠️

Sure is a sweetheart out of a rifle, though... amazing what an extra 8-10" of barrel will do for noise.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Who is the target market on that thing? It's not really a concealed carry gun, and there's no adjustable sights so not a target gun or small/medium game gun... Too heavy for casual hiking. Home defense perhaps, but no ability for night sights or flashlight and revolvers are extra loud to begin with, let alone in a confined space.

This! Actually, I've thought a lot about getting a .327 magnum as a trail gun/ range toy, but it would have to have adjustable sights. The 3" or 4" SP101, or maybe even better, an LCRx in 3" or 4" with adjustable sights- if Ruger would make one- would be an interesting concept.

I've thought about the versatility of being able to chamber the .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, and .32 H&R mag, or to merely download the .327 mag. But then as I think things through, I realize I don't think I'd intentionally go out and buy any of those other rounds, other than the .32 H&R mag.

Then as I continue to think things through, I think, "I could just do the same thing with my .357 magnum, which I already have all the components for, and save the trouble- and so far I have. But from time to time, I start the thinking process all over again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

You are crushing the guy. If you do not mind finding ammo and paying premium price a small six-shot revolver is not hard to conceal or carry. Boomers often carry short-barreled S&W Model 19s/66s without much complaining.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Non-adjustable sights would kill the deal for me, if I were even in the market.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You could always shoot .32 H&R Magnum out of it.
or 32 S&W long... shot an old S&W revolver chambered for it last yr... helluv'a lot of fun and accurate too... carried by police in it's day. lol... wish they offered that SP101 in blue...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 11/10/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand lack of excitement, SP101 is not exciting enough for picture parades on internet forums. Ruger should do same as Taurus offe some revolvers setup for optic mounting.
Even Glock now offers subcompact models with MOS. The latest is G26.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That'd be exactly what I'd do with one; 32L and 32 Mag. It is nice to have that option of running 327 if you really, really need to. Man, those suckers are sharp. ☠️

Sure is a sweetheart out of a rifle, though... amazing what an extra 8-10" of barrel will do for noise.
Yep. I don't even use hearing protection when I shoot a .22 rifle, for example. Doesn't even equal a firecracker. Handguns, yes, though.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I won't be adding one to my collection of 327 Federals. I think they would have done better by doing a run of the 4" models with sights. I am glad to see they haven't given up on the chambering though. Taurus just did a huge run as well. I don't enjoy shooting full 327 loads in either of my revolvers. I can't imagine launching one without hearing protection. I have loads that run the gamut from pussycat 32 S&W long to full bore stuff. I save to full power loads for my rifle. Does the 327 make sense. Nope.

When you look at GB, the asking price for any Ruger SP101 other than these starts at 1K. Other Ruger models have an asking price of over $2500. When these are no longer available, their value will soar too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Nearly anything in a 'confined space' is gonna be loud - even something like a .22 WMR..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yep. I don't even use hearing protection when I shoot a .22 rifle, for example. Doesn't even equal a firecracker. Handguns, yes, though.

Depends on the ammo for a 22 for me. I don't with standard velocity stuff, but I do with the HV stuff.

32L is a real pop gun out of the carbine; I've got air rifles louder than that.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve really been happy with the 32 H&R, the 327 not so much.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bhemry

This! Actually, I've thought a lot about getting a .327 magnum as a trail gun/ range toy, but it would have to have adjustable sights. The 3" or 4" SP101, or maybe even better, an LCRx in 3" or 4" with adjustable sights- if Ruger would make one- would be an interesting concept.

I've thought about the versatility of being able to chamber the .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, and .32 H&R mag, or to merely download the .327 mag. But then as I think things through, I realize I don't think I'd intentionally go out and buy any of those other rounds, other than the .32 H&R mag.

Then as I continue to think things through, I think, "I could just do the same thing with my .357 magnum, which I already have all the components for, and save the trouble- and so far I have. But from time to time, I start the thinking process all over again.
I passed on the SP101 in 327 for many, many years simply because of barrel length. Finally they did produce a run in 4.2 inch with target sights and I quickly acquired one. It is one of my favorite revolvers to shoot. I do not pick up a handgun, even 22 lr, without donning ear protection, so noise is not an issue. I hand load various power levels in 327 brass. But if one does not hand load, factory ammo from 32 ACP to the hottest 327 mag loads can be fired in the gun.

I also have the LCR in 327. It is not a joy to shoot with heavy loads. But it fits well in a jacket or vest pocket and gives six shots where the same gun in 38 only provides 5.

Oh, RUGER, we are still waiting on that LCRx 3 inch in 327 you promised us oh so many years ago.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,962
Posts18,499,194
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.