Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#18921818 11/12/23
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am going to install an aftermarket trigger in a SBR for plinking, range play, and mainly for hunting. I was leaning towards a Timney or Triggertech but while at a gun store yesterday, there was a Rise Armament trigger display. The display allowed me to test three of their various triggers. The RA-535 seemed like a nice product.

https://risearmament.com/product/rise-armament-ra-535-trigger/

What’s the verdict on their triggers

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got a rise armament trigger nothing really bad to say about it always been fine. diverse now I got I think is 3 lb little bit heavier than I like but it is in an AR so I also understand the limits.
I trust it well enough I put it in the AR I built for my wife she's actually deer hunting with it this year..

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Geissele SSA-E

One blanked primer & a cartridge/drop in trigger will be AFU.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DANS40XC
Geissele SSA-E

This

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lately, if you can get used to a 2 stage and thats awful easy, La Rue MBT for us.

If we were still shooting matches all I'd run would be Geiselle though.. But our truck and hunting guns are not nearly as demanding.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Rise armament LE415 trigger in my 10mm AR. Mainly because the light triggers are just way too light for a gun that has a lot of direct blowback.

The LE415 trigger is more closer to the pull weight of a milspec trigger.

I have no problem with the trigger or the brand. It's been fine. I'll likely use the carbine later this week because it's modern gun season where I live right now and that's the whole reason why I made the gun.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johna1
I have a Rise armament LE415 trigger in my 10mm AR. Mainly because the light triggers are just way too light for a gun that has a lot of direct blowback.

I have no problem with the trigger or the brand. It's been fine. I'll likely use the carbine later this week because it's modern gun season where I live right now and that's the whole reason why I made the gun.
This is a perfect use of a 2 stage trigger. Where you are afraid of doubling, the 2 stage eliminates that while still being able to provide a 1-2 pound pull very crisp, on the second stage.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Geissele G2S has been on sale for $99 for the past year or so at every holiday, they are good enough for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
The Geissele G2S has been on sale for $99 for the past year or so at every holiday, they are good enough for me.

That, the MBT2S, and RRA 2 stage varmint match are all in that same price range. All very acceptable for my uses. I have a SSAE in my iron sight rifle that I shoot right handed. It works well enough for me, but sometimes too light in some rifles I've had it in. AR10 308 for example. I'd double tap that one every once in a while, so I switched it around to one that works good enough for me. While shooting left handed (dominant eye), it just feels too light.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

This is a perfect use of a 2 stage trigger. Where you are afraid of doubling, the 2 stage eliminates that while still being able to provide a 1-2 pound pull very crisp, on the second stage.

Jeff, did you ever get around to trying out that Jard trigger?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Would a 2 stage work in a blowback PCC?

I have little experience with the PCC, but I read they are hard on the triggers.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rather like the low end Rise RA-140 SST myself was just over $100 now more. Use trigger pins with screws on the ends to prevent drift...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I like my Geissele SSA, but for most applications, standard 2 stage mil spec works fine.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I like the Geissele SSA as well. Primary arms has the curved triggertech for $97

Last edited by Troutnut; 11/21/23.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by lc11
I like my Geissele SSA, but for most applications, standard 2 stage mil spec works fine.
What are you calling standard mil spec two stage?

J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I ended up ordering a Timney skeletonized from Red Hawk in their recent sale. I look forward to seeing how it performs.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Think you'll like it.

I bought one of those just after they came out & it has approx 4000 cycles on it without a stutter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lately, if you can get used to a 2 stage and thats awful easy, La Rue MBT for us.

If we were still shooting matches all I'd run would be Geiselle though.. But our truck and hunting guns are not nearly as demanding.

The LaRues are markedly better with a lighter trigger spring.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Rather like the low end Rise RA-140 SST myself was just over $100 now more. Use trigger pins with screws on the ends to prevent drift...mb

If the gun gets much use, cheap single stage triggers tend to not be so good after a lot of use.

YMMV

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

The LaRues are markedly better with a lighter trigger spring.

MM

The second stage is hard on the MBT. I see it more as a combat trigger than a precision one.
Would the JP be the solution for a hunting build?

TY

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never used a JP; but the Geiselle SSA-E is my favorite in a 2 stage (or a G2S or an SSA with a lighter trigger spring.

If you want a bolt like trigger in a single stage, the Elftmann Match is unsurpassed, IMO, & it has a half cock safety notch, much like that on a 1911. But it's not cheap...........

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a TriggerTech Diamond single stage in a new lower for a hunting rig. I really dig it. No range time yet, as I’m still building the upper out, but I like what I feel with it mounted up.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never used a JP; but the Geiselle SSA-E is my favorite in a 2 stage (or a G2S or an SSA with a lighter trigger spring.

If you want a bolt like trigger in a single stage, the Elftmann Match is unsurpassed, IMO, & it has a half cock safety notch, much like that on a 1911. But it's not cheap...........

MM

I do own G SSA-E, and it's my favorite (of the ones I own), also heard good things about the Elftmann on another board. Just wondering if a lighter spring can make the MBT a PRS/Hunting rig. It would save a buck.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
not necessarily speaking AR here for a minute. some of my offhand shooting the NRA silhouette discipline a lot of guys like a very light two-stage trigger. I never grew a customer to that I always stuck with about a 6 to 8 oz single stage. all my AR stuff is single stage triggers the lightest being a pound and a half. which was advertised as two and a half so I have no idea how it got to be a pound and a half I did not monkey with it but I really really like it but I can see where it's too light for a lot of applications in the AR format.

now I have recently acquired and got into shooting some mini-14s with a two-stage trigger along with the M1A that I've had for a while. I can get used to a two-stage trigger and these style weapons. which an also being AR so I may try some new triggers out soon myself. so I'm definitely taking notes from a few guys here..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Just wondering if a lighter spring can make the MBT a PRS/Hunting rig. It would save a buck.

Yes, it will help. So will keeping it lubed.

Try just the trigger spring 1st & see how you like it; if you need / want to go further, then get a lighter hammer spring as long as you are using good ammo that doesn't have super hard primers, as it's possible that you might be too light to fire the primer................but so far, I've never had that happen.

Most likely to be with surplus military ammo. Commercial stuff will be fine as will normal handloads.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Just wondering if a lighter spring can make the MBT a PRS/Hunting rig. It would save a buck.

Yes, it will help. So will keeping it lubed.

Try just the trigger spring 1st & see how you like it; if you need / want to go further, then get a lighter hammer spring as long as you are using good ammo that doesn't have super hard primers, as it's possible that you might be too light to fire the primer................but so far, I've never had that happen.

Most likely to be with surplus military ammo. Commercial stuff will be fine as will normal handloads.

MM

Thanks for that advice.

CS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

MM
Love my SSA-E. Will order another for a new lower I am acquiring.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Geiselle G2S $88.99
Lowest price I've ever seen on these.
In stock as I type
https://www.primaryarms.com/geissel...lerts&utm_content=Message+1+Customer

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
For a 2 stage trigger I think the Geissele SSA-E is hard to beat and they are now on sale, I think around $150.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
For a 2 stage trigger I think the Geissele SSA-E is hard to beat and they are now on sale, I think around $150.

I have seen them priced lower---ONE time that I can recall but $150 is a very good price. If I needed another trigger that is what I'd be seeking out. It has a crisper break than the G2S (which ain't bad at all) and I think it's well worth the additional cost.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you polish up that G2S & put a lighter trigger spring onit, you'll have a non-certified SSA-E.

MM

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I run the timney impact triggers. I got one in a trade ar once and was amazed by it. I now have them in all my rifles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Esox357
Geissele SSA-E

This

I would have a hard time spending about close to $300 for a drop in trigger....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
245 at primary arms.

Me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
Originally Posted by Esox357
Geissele SSA-E

This

I would have a hard time spending about close to $300 for a drop in trigger....

No need to pay more than about $90 for a good/great trigger for your AR..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a Rise Armament SST for my first AR and liked it so much, I bought three more for the next three ARs that followed me home. I paid $80-100 each for them. Very similiar to a good bolt-action trigger. I don't kick in doors, I just hunt and plink with them, although they'll be handy to have when the Chinamen come over the hill...

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 444afic
I bought a Rise Armament SST for my first AR and liked it so much, I bought three more for the next three ARs that followed me home. I paid $80-100 each for them. Very similiar to a good bolt-action trigger. I don't kick in doors, I just hunt and plink with them, although they'll be handy to have when the Chinamen come over the hill...

I have several Rise Armament triggers in my AR’s, and I really like them. My 7.62x39 does not though, I have a basic GI trigger if you will with extra force hammer spring, in it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Jeff, did you ever get around to trying out that Jard trigger?
Way late reply. LOL.

I did put it in a truck gun in Alaska. Keep it full of 75 bthp for bear issues. Its not one that I would buy again but its not a bad trigger at all.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the SSA-E has always been good to me, they have been my go too trigger. I also have a hyper fire which is the fastest trigger I have ever used, not sure of the pull but has to be 1-2 pounds or so.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the SSA-E has always been good to me, they have been my go too trigger. I also have a hyper fire which is the fastest trigger I have ever used, not sure of the pull but has to be 1-2 pounds or so.
fast as in lock time?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s an unusual trigger, short reset, some extra springs, very low pull weight. It makes the rifle very easy to fire rapidly. Close but I think better than the G super dynamic.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
It’s an unusual trigger, short reset, some extra springs, very low pull weight. It makes the rifle very easy to fire rapidly. Close but I think better than the G super dynamic.
Ah. Fast to fire. Not fast lock time. Thanks. Always looking for speedier lock time. I can fire as fast as need be with any AR trigger made. Thanks for the reply

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just ordered a SSA-E from Midway for $220 + free shipping for my 300BLK SBR. Should be an upgrade to the heavy 2 stage PSA trigger.
Seems expensive considering I only paid $115 for the complete lower, but I'm sure will be worth the upgrade.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don’t know, a good trigger is a big deal to many. I would say worth it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Just ordered a SSA-E from Midway for $220 + free shipping for my 300BLK SBR. Should be an upgrade to the heavy 2 stage PSA trigger.
Seems expensive considering I only paid $115 for the complete lower, but I'm sure will be worth the upgrade.

Currently on sale at DVOR for 160, free ship with code prezfre, if you want to deal with optics planet.

https://www.dvor.com/geissele-super-semi-automatic-enhanced-trigger-ssa-e.html

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I have an older (probably 17 years old) Jewel in my 22 ARC, a JP installed by JP (probably 20 years ago) in my Large Pin Colt Carbine, and FOUR Stern Defense Two Stage Cassette Triggers with the Lite Springs installed by Stern in my 300 HAM'R, 204 Ruger, 6.5 Grendel, and 5.56 Target Rifle. The Stern Triggers are all right at 2.5 pounds. The Stern Defense Triggers are set up out of the box as Pistol Caliber Carbine Triggers, however with the Lite Spring (Provided) they have made very nice AR Rifle Cartridge Triggers. So far no issues with any of them. If doing another build today, I would buy another Stern Defense Trigger.

Now days we have lots of Triggers to chose from. I am sure that several mentioned above would work for me. I know the Stern Defense Triggers work well, so I will stay with them, until I have a reason to try something else.

Note: The 22 ARC is the third build on the Rock River "Matched Set" Upper & Lower with the Jewel Trigger. It had a 5.56 Krieger Barrel First build, then a White Oak 204 Ruger Barrel second build. I ended up building new AR's using the 5.56 Krieger, and the 204 Barrel using the Stern Defense Triggers. I do not notice any difference in the triggers between the Jewel and the Stern Defense.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; 02/26/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just purchased 2 Trigger Tech duty 3.5 lb single stage on Primary Arms for 99 each. GREAT triggers

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

That is expensive. They tend to go on sale for quite a bit less than that from time to time. However, you could buy a MBT2S or Rock River (RRA) 2 stage varmint match for much less (around $90) and have a great trigger. You could also do like montanaman suggested and buy a Geiselle G2s and put a lighter spring it in it. After reading through this thread, and you still buy a SSA-E, there's something wrong there.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have one of the RRA varmint match triggers in one of my rifles, and it's a nice trigger, although I still prefer the Geissele SSA-E which I also believe is more durable. Usually you can get the SSA-E's for around $150 on sale.

But if you're looking to keep cost down the RRA varmint match is a good choice.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You could check out Velocity triggers as well. They feel good and are around $100 depending on model.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Most of you guys are more charitable than I am. I'm frigging sick of 3-4lb triggers. I'm swapping all my non HyperFire ones to the newer Trigger Tech Diamond. No reason to shoot over a 1.5lb trigger ever, IMO. And a Mil-Spec 7lb POS.??...don't even get me started...

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did one of these. ONe of the best decisions I have ever made. 3.5 lbs for $99. What is there not to like ?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026745886?pid=599930

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bowfisher
Most of you guys are more charitable than I am. I'm frigging sick of 3-4lb triggers. I'm swapping all my non HyperFire ones to the newer Trigger Tech Diamond. No reason to shoot over a 1.5lb trigger ever, IMO. And a Mil-Spec 7lb POS.??...don't even get me started...
Well most of us shoot 2 stage triggers that have a 2 lb take up and at the wall another 1.5-2.5lb release, much safer. High power rules dictate 4.5 lbs so there is that and most 1.5 lb triggers wind up doubling on me cause I have dead fingers.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ahh, not into the competitions, that makes sense. And if you have dexterity issues, that make sense also. I'm glad we have a lot of good choices on the market these days.

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
I did one of these. ONe of the best decisions I have ever made. 3.5 lbs for $99. What is there not to like ?

Single stage is a no-go on an AR for me. All of mine have Geissele triggers.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The 4-1/2 lb Service Rifle minimum is a holdover from the M-1/M14 days where going lower than that introduced a very real possibility of doubling or worse.

The first AR Match triggers were based on the M14 design (ie Milazzo-Krieger II and the copycats that followed), thus they had the same tendencies and limitations. I think more engineering has gone into AR triggers since then to produce safe lighter triggers. I've not followed all the advances, but I'm not sure I'd still be comfortable with a single stage AR Trigger lighter than 4lbs. That's asking a lot of a little lip of metal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Well most of us shoot 2 stage triggers that have a 2 lb take up and at the wall another 1.5-2.5lb release, much safer. High power rules dictate 4.5 lbs so there is that and most 1.5 lb triggers wind up doubling on me cause I have dead fingers.
I’m sure the huge majority of us are running good 2 stage triggers.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Geissele High Speed with the DMR spring set is my favorite right now and has been for a while.

2 3/4 lbs on the first stage/ 1 lb on the second/overtravel stop combined with the fastest lock time available. That way when I jerk the trigger the AR might go off before it gets to far from my aim point.

It's sort of expensive but for me it's just a part of work so every single AR I use has exactly the same trigger pull. Much easier with with an adjustable trigger to get exactly the same action in many different ARs.

My solution might not be the best for everyone but I do think one should try and keep the trigger action as close as possible across every AR they shoot.

Lots of reasonably priced triggers these days that greatly improve on the ol Mil Spec.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have to agree that keeping the triggers the same is a big deal, I started with SSA-E triggers and I have a few of them, picking up a mil spec triggered gun and dry firing it, has you to realize what your used too and not used too could be a problem. Same thing the other way, I have one gun with a hyper fire in it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I have one of the RRA varmint match triggers in one of my rifles, and it's a nice trigger, although I still prefer the Geissele SSA-E which I also believe is more durable. Usually you can get the SSA-E's for around $150 on sale.

But if you're looking to keep cost down the RRA varmint match is a good choice.
Rock River 2 stage match is equal to Gissele except not as nicely made. I have thousands of rounds on one. They used to be found cheap also. With the Gissele prices some are posting they might not be anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by kwg020

Single stage is a no-go on an AR for me. All of mine have Geissele triggers.
I have several AR's with 2 stage triggers and I really like them. But, I wanted to give a drop in trigger a try. I like it. Maybe not as well as a 2 stage but it's pretty good.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Standardized all my Colts with SSA-E's. Left the original triggers in the BCM's. They are, of course, not SSA-E's, but crisp. Gonna try them for a while.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.