Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kolofardos;
Morning sir, thanks for putting this up on Remembrance Day.

This morning I'm remembering Uncles Leroy, Mervin, Merle and Reuben in our immediate family who served and are now all gone.

To any and all who served to secure my freedom, my personal, heartfelt thanks.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What that shows is the class exhibited by the Canadian Sgt., who acknowledged in kind, the respect of the young man for his soldiers. Class all the way around.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome.......

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Outstanding.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Atta boy!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kolofardos;
Morning again sir, I hope you all didn't get blown away the other day and that you're all well.

While I've told this one before here on the 'Fire, I'll repeat it and beg forgiveness.

Sometimes some of the European folks did and still may do a better job of remembering the sacrifices of our best and brightest than we do back home.

One example was in the late '80's or early '90's, a coworker of mine was traveling with her partner in Holland, following the route her father had taken when he'd fought to liberate the country with the Canadian Army.

She said they were always treated well, but one evening at a small pub when the owner found out what they were doing, he refused to take payment for the meal and drinks, telling them he wouldn't be there if the Canadians hadn't liberated his grandparents.

According to him they were close to being starved to death under German occupation.

Both of my wife's uncles - Mervin and Leroy - were involved in that campaign, Mervin as a forward artillery observer and Leroy as a tail gunner on a Lancaster. Both of those positions had a life expectancy of about two weeks, but both beat the odds, returned home and passed after leading a full life.

Here's hoping none of us forget how we got here and who sacrificed so very much to give us a chance at freedom.

Let's also hope and pray we don't squander that precious gift.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Classiest thing I've seen in a looooooooong while.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by BC30cal
kolofardos;
Morning again sir, I hope you all didn't get blown away the other day and that you're all well.

While I've told this one before here on the 'Fire, I'll repeat it and beg forgiveness.

Sometimes some of the European folks did and still may do a better job of remembering the sacrifices of our best and brightest than we do back home.

One example was in the late '80's or early '90's, a coworker of mine was traveling with her partner in Holland, following the route her father had taken when he'd fought to liberate the country with the Canadian Army.

She said they were always treated well, but one evening at a small pub when the owner found out what they were doing, he refused to take payment for the meal and drinks, telling them he wouldn't be there if the Canadians hadn't liberated his grandparents.

According to him they were close to being starved to death under German occupation.

Both of my wife's uncles - Mervin and Leroy - were involved in that campaign, Mervin as a forward artillery observer and Leroy as a tail gunner on a Lancaster. Both of those positions had a life expectancy of about two weeks, but both beat the odds, returned home and passed after leading a full life.

Here's hoping none of us forget how we got here and who sacrificed so very much to give us a chance at freedom.

Let's also hope and pray we don't squander that precious gift.

All the best.

Dwayne
Thanks Dwayne, other than having to collect the tarp I cover the camper with from the neighbour's yard, all is well. I've also run into European's grateful for what our troops did, even in Italy. I hope that the gift hasn't already been squandered, I'm not too optimistic these days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best thing I've seen today! Thanks.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Outstanding.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
little misty eyed on that one for some reason

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

196 members (3333vl, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,881
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.