Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Looks like I bought an 1886 Winchester 45-90 tonite and also bought an Ideal 45-90 loader. Looks like it molds the bullet, sizes the bullet, removes and installed the primer, and crimps. Does anybody have any advice on using it? No I have never reloaded before. I would want to use smokeless powder. Any advice would be great. I will most likely have a 50-110 conversion done, but I want to shoot it as a 45-90 and see if I can live with a 45-90.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I as so pleased with the performance of my 1886 45-90 that I had a double rifle created. So far, so good.
The Winchester has take an ele, multiple cape buff and a leopard on its one trip to Africa. This all with North Fork 450 grain bullets loaded to 2150 fps.

it also shoots 45-70 ammo quite well .
This rifle set pretty well covers all the critters there are.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
J
JFE Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Congrats on your new acquisitions.

Is it an original rifle or a modern, made in Japan Winchester?

Older loading tools like the Ideal tool you have are sought after by collectors. They were designed to do the entire reloading job from moulding your own bullets to loading your empty brass. The black powder charge was measured separately.

Personally I’d use modern reloading equipment. Dies for the 45/90 are made by RCBS and Lyman and probably other manufacturers too.

M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
It is an original made in 1887, serial number 69xx. Crescent butt, 26 inch octagon, 45-90. Has a Turnbull Barrel on it, so smokeless should be safe. The case color has been redone, not sure if Turnbull did it, but it looks nice. Overall a presentable gun and very shootable. I realize modern reloading equipment would likely be more accurate, but I am a sucker for this old stuff. Anybody have an idea of the bullet weight? Would wheel weight lead work ok for this, or something else. I’m all ears! Pictures coming tomorrow when I go pick it up. Will have the reloader sometime next week. Now to find some load data……

J
JFE Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
It sounds like a nice rifle. Look forward to the pics.

The 45/90 in Winchesters is generally an Express cartridge - this is where a light for calibre bullet is used to maximise the velocity (with BP). The Ideal tool you have will likely yield a lightweight bullet around 300gr. It might also be undersized by todays standards. Soft cast bullets tend to slug up to fill the rifling when BP is used. These days with smokeless we tend to use cast pills that are 2 thou over groove diameter. You’ll only know what you have once you’ve cast a few and measured them.

Regarding the rifle itself it’s worth trying to contact Turnbull to find out about the barrel fitted (ie twist rate) and their suggestion as to the pressure level you can load the rifle.

IC B2

M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Would wheel weight lead be acceptable to use in this application? I had read of dropping the hot bullet in water to somewhat harden it when casting. Just trying to figure out what I need and what I have to purchase. Looking to load in the middle to upper end of pressures as to not hurt the gun. It is going in the woods tomorrow for Whitetail deer season. cant wait! Contacted Turnbull, and the gal I spoke with didnt have alot of info for me. Since I am not hot rodding a load I should be fine with a modern steel barrel. As for twist, Ill have to check on it. The gun was brought back to the Cody letter specs so I would assume whatever standard twist was, it will be that. Pictures coming tonite.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your rifle sounds a lot like mine:
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Let’s see if this works

M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Another small picture. Not sure how to get a big one

M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Here

Attached Images
IC B3

M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
For Christ sake, I’ll have one of my kids help me. Sorry for the clutter.

M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Maybe this will work. I can’t get the case color to show very well. But it is decent. Shot 45-70 low power loads out of it. Shoots like a dream. Have some 45-90 ammo on order from Ventura. Will have to wait to shoot them most likely after thanksgiving, as I am going out of town. Sure feels good having another 86 Winchester. I think I see a couple more in my future. Have a line on a factory 50-110. Just waiting on a price. Gun looks all original, just well used. Just the way I would want it.

Attached Images
M
Mrhp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Ideal loader just arrived. Now to pick a load . Only piece I see missing is the primer extractor. That will be easily made. Finally shot with some 45-90-300 from Ventura munitions. Mild loads, and big fireball! Functions just fine. Now just have to roll some of my own.

Attached Images

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,047
Posts18,482,245
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.