Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We had the Missouri firearms opener this past Saturday the 11th, well I say opener, but we did have an antler-less season back in October which I used to fill the freezer.

I had pictures of quite a few bucks but nothing impressive, but this was the nicest one. I watched him out of bow range several times just before dark in the evenings coming from bed to food. After seeing nothing but does in the morning, I came back to field dress a doe and my father-in-law told me he jumped him from his bed when he started his tractor to go feed and that he had traveled about 600 yards to the neighboring property where he had also been known to bed.

I wasn’t sure which field he would cross to come feed in, so I chose the one we’d seen him in more often than not. I chose poorly and spotted him about seven hundred yards out coming to our property. Unfortunately, I can’t cross the creek between us on foot without waders and the creek is lined with brush. This helped give me cover to set up for a shot, but I only had a small window to shoot through. I made a makeshift hide in the brush and set up. I estimated the shot window to be around 400-430 yards. My rifle was setup for a PBR of 320. I knew I’d need between 10-14” of hold-over for the shot and no time for an exact range and I couldn’t dial this particular scope. Be stepped into my shooting window and I held 6” over his back. He dropped with a single round from my 6.5 PRC with a double lung shot. After recovering the buck it was 420 yards on the range finder. Descent poke for the farm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My little boys were ecstatic. They are five-year-old twins and have been taking quite the interest in hunting this year. My nephew who is twelve also got a decent buck about the same time 300 yards away to my south. A younger deer, but he was happy.

Last edited by drop_point; 11/13/23.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
👍🏻👍🏻

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
what area of the state ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on a great looking buck and nice job on a more than fair poke on the shot.😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The eastern edge of the ozarks. About 30 minutes north of Arkansas.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Congrats on a great looking buck and nice job on a more than fair poke on the shot.😎

Thank ya sir.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great bucks

Job well done

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool - and good shootin'...

WWP53D
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well done!!!

He went over yonder way
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Very nice buck!

I would like to get out to hunt Missouri this year, but just got back from NY where I killed a nice buck. I wouldn’t be able to go until the late “CWD” season and my son lives in Randolph County where they don’t have that this year.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bummer hopefully you can make it next season.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
Very nice buck!

I would like to get out to hunt Missouri this year, but just got back from NY where I killed a nice buck. I wouldn’t be able to go until the late “CWD” season and my son lives in Randolph County where they don’t have that this year.

I hunt Chariton County, just to the west of Randolph County, LOTS of deer were seen this year. We counted 40 just piddling around the Friday before season started. I got a nice-enough 8 on Monday morning, and my nephew's son killed a big 10 last evening, just before legal light ended the day. I saw more bucks this year than I've ever seen before, and I used to live there. More bucks than I've ever seen.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sweet.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Very nice buck!

I hunt Chariton County, just to the west of Randolph County, LOTS of deer were seen this year. We counted 40 just piddling around the Friday before season started. I got a nice-enough 8 on Monday morning, and my nephew's son killed a big 10 last evening, just before legal light ended the day. I saw more bucks this year than I've ever seen before, and I used to live there. More bucks than I've ever seen.

I saw a good 100 deer in two days of hunting. That isn’t exaggerating. There were between 30 and 40 in the field at one time. On Friday I was archery hunting and saw four shooter bucks and about a dozen does. We went out to eat Saturday night for my birthday and saw more than we could count in the drive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great buck and good looking ground. We have friends that live West of Gainesville. Beautiful country!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My nephew's son killed this one Tuesday evening, just at dark. I don't have any real details, but I'm surely happy for the young man. He's a really, really, good kid. He was holding out for a 15 pointer that he's been watching, but relented and took this nice 10 after the 15 decided to lay low.

He and his sister have a strong rivalry trying to get the bigger deer. This year, it appears to be his turn to get the bigger deer.

Attached Images
dakotasbuck2023.jpg (48.84 KB, 140 downloads)

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
My nephew's son killed this one Tuesday evening, just at dark. I don't have any real details, but I'm surely happy for the young man. He's a really, really, good kid. He was holding out for a 15 pointer that he's been watching, but relented and took this nice 10 after the 15 decided to lay low.

He and his sister have a strong rivalry trying to get the bigger deer. This year, it appears to be his turn to get the bigger deer.

I love it! Good to see that young man’s success!

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats on some Missouri bucks!

Hunt...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.