Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't hunt quail but its still nice to see them. In eastern NC today.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Indeed. Thanks. Got a buddy in Maiden. How far are you from there?

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I actually live in southeast Virginia. I'm down in NC several times a month.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great to see.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A rare sight indeed. Wonderful.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Extremely rare, as in non- existent, in my part of N.C. these days. 30 years ago, could find 6 to 8 coveys a day, haven't heard a Bob whistle in the spring in years. I miss them.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miss hunting/seeing quail in Nebraska.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Looking forward to the season opening on Saturday.
I took my dogs out yesterday for a bit of training and found 5 coveys. I have not been out before then to get feel for how the summer hatch went, but yesterday was encouraging.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I live in the mountains of WNC. Been a long time since I have seen or heard a quail or a grouse. I wish the wildlife commission would put some energy towards them.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
I live in the mountains of WNC. Been a long time since I have seen or heard a quail or a grouse. I wish the wildlife commission would put some energy towards them.

I am told that grouse are extremely difficult to impossible to successfully stock. Quail are perhaps more successfully stocked, but struggle with current predator populations. A common sense bounty on hawks would likely help a bit. Urbanites will never stand for that, though.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by DaddyRat

I am told that grouse are extremely difficult to impossible to successfully stock. Quail are perhaps more successfully stocked, but struggle with current predator populations. A common sense bounty on hawks would likely help a bit. Urbanites will never stand for that, though.

Relocating wild quail can have excellent results if the property they're going to has been properly managed for all of the needs that quail have, particularly nesting habitat, brood habitat, and escape cover, all on a large enough tract for the project to work. The few sources for such quail (primarily Tall Timbers) have extremely high standards to qualify for bird relocation.

Released birds are typically for a hunt done on the same day, if not an hour or two before the hunters arrive. These birds are all pen raised and have no survival or reproductive skills. They're typically bigger, and always slower than wild birds, making them exceedingly vulnerable to predation, which happens soon after the hunters leave. Hunting them is a lot of fun, however, and commercial quail hunting is now the primary way that most quail hunters still get to enjoy the sport. That said, it's a completely different challenge and experience than hunting the real thing.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Had about 20 walk out into a foodplot I planted a couple years back, cool thing about it my son, who 10ish at the time got to see them. Probably the only ones he will ever see in the wild down here and he'll probably never see them again.

I have a buddy he claims to have 20/20 vision sit in that same stand maybe a year before and after the hunt said "I've never seen that many chipmunks together in my life!" I still give him heck about that.

Last edited by killerv; 11/14/23.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Here's a nice property managed for Bobwhites. A place to stay too.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l.../t-boone-pickens-mesa-vista-ranch-house/

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm going down to NC on December 7 for one of those preserve Bobwhite hunts. A friend of mine is treating me. I've never done that before. He's done it a bunch and gets a lot of birds. It's a pay-per-bird hunt. Hope I have a little fun. But they are captive raised birds. I had to get a specific Preserve Hunting license. We're hunting or, more accurately, shooting-at chukars, too.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Growing up, I loved quail hunting more than anything.
Had permission to hunt a tree nursery within walking distance of home. And there were hedgerows to hunt on the walk there. Paradise lost.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Shot my last wild quail in the mid-90's, after nearly 30 years of it. The last season or two of my GSP's life, they were becoming scarce. Since then, I've seen nothing that would make me think another dog would be useful. They are still around, but so scattered that it would require almost unlimited access to land to make hunting them feasible. No other type of hunting has ever really taken its place in my heart.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The biggest problem in my part of NC are the clean farming practices. Right now, 95%of the crops are in and all of the fields are clean as a whistle to the tree line. If they could just leave one harrow width of grain around the fields, for food and cover...that would be a huge step forward. Very little prescribed burning takes place anymore. Lepedezza Bicolor and Partridge Pea used to be planted on back roads. A few simple steps would help. Currently, the few birds we are getting are Coyote bait.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The loss of quail is largely a habitat issue. There's nothing wrong with most any area of the bird's past home range that would prevent their propagation if the landowners were willing to forego maximizing economic incentives and direct the land management towards a new objective. Of course the heavily fragmented nature of land ownership is also an issue as you simply can't achieve the necessary goals of quail management on smaller tracts.
Pine timber, shopping centers, row crop farming, neighborhoods, and the Smokey Bear syndrome all are largely antithesis of the proven and widely known recipe for having and enjoying wild bobwhites. Quail are currently flourishing in areas that management for them, but for the overwhelming portion of their once large range, the choices and priorities that landowners and government agencies have made created the frustration and circumstances that many now experience.
All that said, other options are still out there that can create abundant bird numbers. We just need more people willing to sacrifice a few dollars, something that's more easily said than done, in order to achieve it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Never in my life has there been any prescribed burning of any significance. It's beneficial without a doubt, but we used to have birds without it. Clean farming is definitely part of it, and I think the nesting phase in particular is where birds are not finding suitable habitat. Very few successful broods are being hatched.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We are very lucky to be covered up with wild Quail, here in S. Texas wild Quail are a whole different hunt than pen raised Quail. Rio7

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.