Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Which version? There are at least three and the newest ones aren't actually stainless under the cerakote, which seems totally besides the point of an extreme weather 😵.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My wife and I have a pair in 300WSM, and my son has a 300WM. Good guns. I have 3 loads for the 300WSM rifles from 150 to 180gr. They are our go anywhere-do anything rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Which version? There are at least three and the newest ones aren't actually stainless under the cerakote, which seems totally besides the point of an extreme weather 😵.

Must be one of Browning's better ideas? As for the Extreme weather version. I believe they are all stainless steel. You may be thinking of the new pos "Extreme VSX MB"??? If not, please post a link of the new Extreme Weather that is not stainless steel. Thanks!

Also, if you do a google search, someone compiled a list of about 30 different threads on this particular rifle. Since there were so many asking questions about them. I'm not going to post a link, unless you guys have a hard time finding it.

As for the OP's question of anyone having one. I've had some and friends have had them. We have all came to the consensus that the stocks suck. They are too slick, for one, and handle like a 2x4. Or at least the early ones did. The newer B&C's are not nearly as bad, as the first gen B&C stocks they used on these rifles. They always got replaced with Mcmillans. My buddy still has one in 300wsm that he fought tooth and nail to get it to shoot right. He still complains about the slick stock too, but yet still uses it on occasion. The EW was always a "meh" for me. I'd just a soon have an older Classic stainless with the old school proven trigger. To each their own though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

Must be one of Browning's better ideas? As for the Extreme weather version. I believe they are all stainless steel. You may be thinking of the new pos "Extreme VSX MB"??? If not, please post a link of the new Extreme Weather that is not stainless steel. Thanks!

Also, if you do a google search, someone compiled a list of about 30 different threads on this particular rifle. Since there were so many asking questions about them. I'm not going to post a link, unless you guys have a hard time finding it.

As for the OP's question of anyone having one. I've had some and friends have had them. We have all came to the consensus that the stocks suck. They are too slick, for one, and handle like a 2x4. Or at least the early ones did. The newer B&C's are not nearly as bad, as the first gen B&C stocks they used on these rifles. They always got replaced with Mcmillans. My buddy still has one in 300wsm that he fought tooth and nail to get it to shoot right. He still complains about the slick stock too, but yet still uses it on occasion. The EW was always a "meh" for me. I'd just a soon have an older Classic stainless with the old school proven trigger. To each their own though.

I could be wrong... in fact, I HOPE I'm wrong! But I could've sworn the new EW Tungstens are not SS under the coating? Do those not count as EWs? Looked like the exact same rifle as the standard EW minus the SS/coating.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-extreme-tungsten.html

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Here’s the thread bsa referenced.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...de-of-winchester-extreme-weather-threads

I’m not convinced there is all that much change in the newer versions of the stock. I have all versions and I honestly don’t think there is much difference. There was always a difference between the long action and short action feel of the wrist.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I’ve got the bass pro/cabelas exclusive in 6.8 western with the tan/black B&C stock, I like it, shoots better than my X bolt 6.8 and personally I like the stock.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
My son has a 300 win mag Extreme Weather and it is a very accurate rifle, around an inch five shot groups with a couple of different factory ammo he has tried. It is the original early version South Carolina made sometime late 2000's. The trigger would not adjust to less than 5# initially and he returned it to Winchester/Browning and they repaired it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a couple of the Portuguese-assembled Extreme Weathers. Both are all stainless steel and no Cerakote. The fit and finish on each one is excellent. I've only shot the one in .264WM, so far. I had it skim bedded and installed a Timney trigger. It shoots good with my handloads.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shinbone, how do you like the Zeiss Conquest scope?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I owned one of the south Carolina fn versions in 308win. Excellent rifle in every respect. Killed several whitetails and 2 elk. I wanted to go back to walnut stocks, so gave the ew to a son. He too likes the rifle. Gotta love those crf model 70s. I'm sitting in a deer stand as I type this, with a model 70 SG next to me. Ymmv.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A hunting buddy of mine has one in .308 that the really likes. He should, as it is an outstanding shooter.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Got one of the SC made models with the "AMP" prefix in 270 that shoots really well. As others have said the stock is bulky feeling.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
2019 6.5cm. I sold the B&C, and put it in a McM hunters edge. The Portugal M70 is the smoothest and best feeding/ejecting M70 I own.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

-JW
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back around 2010-2011 Winchester made a sportsmans warehouse exclusive extreme sporter it was a blued version of the extreme weather. They were chambered in 270 WSM and 300 WSM. These would all be considered gen 1 stocks and are South Carolina made rifles.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
2019 6.5cm. I sold the B&C, and put it in a McM hunters edge. The Portugal M70 is the smoothest and best feeding/ejecting M70 I own.

Sexy as hell!

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have the Model 70 Extreme-Weather SS, chambered in 270 Win. Runs smooth, very accurate and trigger is flawless.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've had three, two .30-06s and a .308. Accurate with some loads, but very picky. Load development was a lot of work with each gun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Jwood1284

Sexy as hell!

🦫

For sure, I was thinking the same!

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
Shinbone, how do you like the Zeiss Conquest scope?

It is a V6 3-18x50, and like it a lot! It is one of the few high quality, second focal plane, non-taticool, scopes available to us simple hunters, and it fits the role very well. It is dialable, durable, has a versatile zoom range, has a simple reticle with windage marks, and has excellent optics. I like them so much, I own about 4 of them. Unfortunately, prices have drifted upwards due to their popularity. The Conquest V4s are also a good option at a lower price point.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.