-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Someone remind me of the name of the custom rifle builder who is said to have made his barrels from old truck axels....
Years ago I had a Mauser he built. It was modified to chamber and fire 223 Remington. Heavy target barrel. It was a work of art. Sold it in a weak moment...

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Peterson Rifle Ranch, Riverhurst Saskatchewan. Barrels made from model T axels, left hand twist. I’ve owned one in 22-250.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Axels? Rose Rifel Company?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This gunsmith was around in the ‘60’s….

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think a lot of makers back in the day loved the quality of steel in truck axles...a steel very like 4130. There were quite a few examples around here where I live. One in particular springs to mind, it was on a 1917 Enfield action, well modified....the original exterior of the axle was never touched (induction hardened) and the center of the boreline was noticeably off center on the muzzle...a rather sad looking thing, no cosmetic work done at all on the whole rifle...but, unfortunately for the rest of us, it did shoot. The day Dan Parkin and the truck axle put me and my 40X in 300 yd benchrest to shame...Dan also shot a range record...never beaten to this day. Dan was the second owner and he thought Apex was the company that long hole drilled and rifled the barrel. It was in the .308 Norma Mag....thought by most at the time to be incapable of fine accuracy.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Shooters have a bit in common with street racers, they will bring a sleeper to a match.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P.O.Ackley did that same thing with axels. Its in this book.

https://ackleyimproved.com/

One Ragged Hole! The quest for accuracy continues.

Bob the nailer
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Peterson did, and so did some others. Ron Smith made a good shooting barrel from a piece of rebar, just for fun. I don't recall the caliber. GD

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by greydog
Peterson did, and so did some others. Ron Smith made a good shooting barrel from a piece of rebar, just for fun. I don't recall the caliber. GD

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was for 22 rimfire benchrest.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Probably. Ron shoots single shot (schutzen) matches and they have a BR class. GD

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'd not heard of the "axle" application in barrel making. It's great what may be "adapted to work" from one role to another. Yet quite another for "optimal" precepts. Torsional forces may, in both steel composition and in such as heat treating, be considerably different that gun barrel forces to be reckoned. Barrels, which are on the one hand "pressure vessels" and on the other hand, require wear/corrosion resistance characteristics. Both values as 'similar, but not'! smile

I'm supposing that the adaptation of axles would mandate a removal of tempering via "annealing", all necessary machining steps performed and a recalibrated tempering process. There are a lot of considerations even in "optimal" as the definition as some sort of more toward absolute value as government specs or in more practical consumer terms of balancing with price point.
I've appreciated this 'vista' of some barrel making materials application I'd not heard! Innovative and the ever ultimate "utilitarian measure". "If it works, it's good!"
Best!
John

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Metal is metal, but i hated making horseshoes from rebar...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Iskra, I attended a few 'seminars' (4 hour infomercials, lol) on heavy truck axles...back in the day when a truck axle was considered a prime candidate for a rifle barrel...Foote Axle was a big aftermarket supplier, and as it was sold to us, the mechanics, they explained that OEM axles were improperly hardened which caused all the failures...and there were many failures. Foote claimed they used the best Xrayed 4130, drop forged the axle blank, machined it in soft form, and then induction hardened the axle. The hardening only affected the outer skin, maybe 3/16 deep, leaving a relatively soft, ductile, extremely resilient core. They said the same principle as applied in folded steel knives and swords. How much was sales hype, of course I have no clue...but in my own experiences with truck axles in the lathe, the outer layer will destroy a carbide tool in 20 minutes, and once through the outer layer, it machines beautifully with HSS. That may be why the truck axle barrels I have seen were, in the raw.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Didn't know actual axels were ever used lol.

I've heard guys refer to 1.250 "straight" contours as axels.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bill Sukalle is probably who you are talking about. Fairly well known in the 40’s, 50’s timeframe and made some of his early barrels from Model T axles. I believe he was in Arizona.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That’s him!!! Now that I’ve got the name I can look for his rifles. Thanks for helping my memory…

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Didn't know actual axels were ever used lol.

I've heard guys refer to 1.250 "straight" contours as axels.

They weren't. Axels are in ice skating. Axles are in trucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (204guy, 257man, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 59 invisible), 1,946 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,889
Posts18,497,940
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.