Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Great job Scotty. You get it done year after year.

GB1

H
H
This is easily the most perceptive rifle article I have ever read. I, too, have a geekishly long neck and sloping shoulders, like Roy Weatherby (from the looks of photos, I could probably wear his suits.) Those beautiful “classic” stocks I have drooled over since the early 60’s kick my cheekbone mercilessly-right eye tears in 5 rounds from a 30-06! My Model 70 in .375 with mild Monte Carlo is actually more comfortable.
Anybody know where I can buy a Weatherby (Mark V) style synthetic stock for a Win 70, modern CRF, in .375 H&H pre-inletted? I actually want as much MC as I can get.
Interestingly, Elmer Keith, not very tall and stocky, loved those Weatherby style stocks, too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Horn_Draoi
This is easily the most perceptive rifle article I have ever read. I, too, have a geekishly long neck and sloping shoulders, like Roy Weatherby (from the looks of photos, I could probably wear his suits.) Those beautiful “classic” stocks I have drooled over since the early 60’s kick my cheekbone mercilessly-right eye tears in 5 rounds from a 30-06! My Model 70 in .375 with mild Monte Carlo is actually more comfortable.
Anybody know where I can buy a Weatherby (Mark V) style synthetic stock for a Win 70, modern CRF, in .375 H&H pre-inletted? I actually want as much MC as I can get.
Interestingly, Elmer Keith, not very tall and stocky, loved those Weatherby style stocks, too.

MPI has some:

MPI

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RinB
p76
I can’t decide who is more fortunate, you or your 13 YO son!

My thought too. But, Beretzs' kid brother looks to be pretty fortunate as well!

Pathfinder76 and Beretzs getting the real stuff done! Way to go and congrats, guys.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Originally Posted by RinB
p76
I can’t decide who is more fortunate, you or your 13 YO son!

My thought too. But, Beretzs' kid brother looks to be pretty fortunate as well!

Pathfinder76 and Beretzs getting the real stuff done! Way to go and congrats, guys.

Thanks 1Eye. My brothers been going with me since he was 18. He’s a helluva hunter and elk skinner these days.

Semper Fi
IC B2

H
H
Thanks! MPI has always done some different stuff, but I had forgotten to check with them. Gonna call ‘em Monday.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Reality sometimes gets in the way of a manicured tough guy image.

Oh my. Here is my 13 year old son and my 7MM RM. the epitome of manicured tough guy. Lol.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The dude is eats barbells for breakfast.

You’re a child abuser grin

We just came out of the field. 3 elk with the 7 Mashburn and 175’s and my little brother took a cow last night at 550 with his 6.5x300 with the 127 LRX. We both stepped on the scales at the meat processor, he was a 140 and I was 262.. My old Detachment Commander was there with us as well and he’s kinda in the middle of my brother and I and he had zero issues making use of my Mashburn, probably due to a fair amount of shooting we did at Marines.

So I agree, bigger guns are probably harder to shoot if a box of shells a year is too much for folks to practice with but we’ve interchanged rifles on a few hunts since he was 18 (23 now) and even with my 14” LOP and his 13.5” we have done okay hunting.

Cool thread though. Hope you all are having a great time out there this fall.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Pard I had my bags packed just waiting for the invite.. now I see you have other pards.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As this thread keeps going and going and going....I decided to reread Page's two books. Started with One Man's Wilderness, his stories of hunting around the world, mixed with essays on hunting techniques, and even "game management."

Had semi-forgotten some of them, and have found it's always good to be reminded of the perspective from another time--which often predicts changes that we've seen. But was also reminded of how much he hunted with the 7mm Remington Magnum after it appeared (in large part due to him) rather than his 7mm Mashburn.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As this thread keeps going and going and going....I decided to reread Page's two books. Started with One Man's Wilderness, his stories of hunting around the world, mixed with essays on hunting techniques, and even "game management."

Had semi-forgotten some of them, and have found it's always good to be reminded of the perspective from another time--which often predicts changes that we've seen. But was also reminded of how much he hunted with the 7mm Remington Magnum after it appeared (in large part due to him) rather than his 7mm Mashburn.

One Man's Wilderness and The Accurate Rifle are somewhere in the USPS winding their way to me now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Horn_Draoi
Thanks! MPI has always done some different stuff, but I had forgotten to check with them. Gonna call ‘em Monday.

Probably sacrilegious but, even though I prefer a straight comb (or a little negative I'm discovering), I have also found a great use for the Weatherby-type monte carlo. See-thru scope mounts. The high comb puts my eye up in line with the scope and then you just crawl the stock a little and there's the irons. Works pretty slick but a boy might get made fun of a little.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another interesting thing is they're not expensive! In fact they probably cost far less than when I bought 'em new! grin

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Another interesting thing is they're not expensive! In fact they probably cost far less than when I bought 'em new! grin

True, I was surprised. Actually, splurged and spent $20. for nice condition hardcovers with decent dust jackets.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The 7MM RM barks again! If it wasn’t left handed I might never get it back. :-)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome, the old Rem Mag works!

What a buck! Man, you're spoiling that kid. Probably near time to get him his own 7 Rem or Mashburn whistle

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
His Kimber 308 is looking mundane. :-)

His older sister is left eye dominant so she shoots left handed. But she shoots whatever is handy. Last night I took her out and said we will just share the 7mm. She says “does it kick”? To which, Ryan hollers from the other room “NO”. Lol.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

His older sister is left eye dominant so she shoots left handed. But she shoots whatever is handy. Last night I took her out and said we will just share the 7mm. She says “does it kick”? To which, Ryan hollers from the other room “NO”. Lol.

That's awesome. When does she get a turn at some bucks?

Yeah, I'd bet he will be gunning for his own big 7 now.. I mean, if he hasn't separated a retina or shoulder yet whistle

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If she would quit acting 16 she might have more time to hunt. Lol

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If she would quit acting 16 she might have more time to hunt. Lol

There is that too. Mine was a wicked hunter till she was about 15 or so.. Starting to come back around at 19 though.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 7MM RM barks again! If it wasn’t left handed I might never get it back. :-)

That's awesome. Nice buck! Warren Page is looking down with approval.

R
RHM Offline
R

No love for the 308?

Ya buy kids books and they chew the covers.

Great deer!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (270cowboy, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 63 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,159
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.